Pueblo West, CO
First Name
Neal
Last Name
Tew
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N1TEW
I looked up the some GMRS radios last night I think I might pick one up in the future just not sure about getting a license for as little as I would use it. Maybe just a frs for now.
FRS is really what I meant anyway. Most folks have one or two of those around already.

Neal A. Tew

US Rocky Mountain Local Expert
Mod Team

Member III

Pueblo West, CO
First Name
Neal
Last Name
Tew
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N1TEW
Hey Neal, is there an FRS radio you recommend? I'm not really sure what I'm looking for. I don't have a Ham license either.
I don't have a specific handheld model I could recommend. I would suggest going with a name brand such as Midland or Motorola. If you have the budget consider one of the Midland FRS/GMRS micro-mobiles. I've been impressed with the ones I've seen. The range will be significantly greater than a handheld and you won't have to worry about charging. (The GMRS channels do require the purchase of a $70 FCC license to be legal. No test required.)

Check these out and then have a look on Amazon or wherever you like to shop for a potentially better price: https://midlandusa.com/micromobile/

EDIT: Just to be clear to anyone planning to come, even something like this would probably be fine: Baofeng (Click here)

Last edited:

Neal A. Tew

US Rocky Mountain Local Expert
Mod Team

Member III

Pueblo West, CO
First Name
Neal
Last Name
Tew
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N1TEW
I've added some additional info to the Rally Point announcement page. Here it is:

UPDATE: Overland Bound nor myself have any connection to 14erFest. I planned this outing because this area is a great one for what we like to do and I support all the efforts this organization is doing to keep the trails open, etc.

Registration is still open and is now at $30: Registration – 14er Fest (If links don't work, check the additional rally point info section below and/or the body of the forum thread.)

This registration isn't required to camp with us Overland Bound folks, but will be required for the event trail rides we attend on Saturday and Sunday as well as the other events and classes they have scheduled. I encourage you to read their site thoroughly. For those that are available Friday morning we will have our own trail event for this day.

There is also a 14erFest "Overlanding" trip for Thursday night hosted by TrailsOffroad.com. I'm not planning to participate in this due to time and financial budget constraints. It's an additional $50 if you are interested.
Please RSVP above to let us know if we should expect you. Please also comment in the forum thread below as to when we should expect you. More camping and trail info to follow as we get closer. Please watch the forum thread for updates. The link is on this page.

Charles Drives Things

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate III

Highlands Ranch, CO, USA
First Name
Charles
Last Name
Townsend
Member #

I don't have a specific handheld model I could recommend. I would suggest going with a name brand such as Midland or Motorola. If you have the budget consider one of the Midland FRS/GMRS micro-mobiles. I've been impressed with the ones I've seen. The range will be significantly greater than a handheld and you won't have to worry about charging. (The GMRS channels do require the purchase of a $70 FCC license to be legal. No test required.)

Check these out and then have a look on Amazon or wherever you like to shop for a potentially better price: https://midlandusa.com/micromobile/

EDIT: Just to be clear to anyone planning to come, even something like this would probably be fine: Baofeng (Click here)
Thanks Neal! I'll see what I can do. See you all Friday evening!

Reactions: Neal A. Tew

urbanarmed

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Pueblo West, CO, USA
First Name
Josh
Last Name
Chase
Member #

Great! Please keep us posted on when you think you\'ll arrive so we can work out details.... Hopefully the node of the repeater system in that area that I like to use will be repaired by then...
We plan to arrive in BV area mid-day on Wednesday the 26th.
Hi Stickman, we are also planning to come Wednesday. Let me know if you want to link up!

Reactions: Stickman