Launch Member

Advocate I

Washington Township, NJ 08081, USA
First Name
Bart
Last Name
Whitten
Member #

I have just installed a Dometic 55im in my vehicle and went out on our first trip. 8 days and it worked fantastic.... as they say a game changer. NOW I have a question....once home and no trip on the horizon for a month or so....
What do you guys do with the fridge.... seems kinda odd to me to just turn it off?

PNW EXPLR

Local Expert Southeast Washington, USA
Investor

Explorer I

Kennewick, WA, USA
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Denniston
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7LYZ
I have just installed a Dometic 55im in my vehicle and went out on our first trip. 8 days and it worked fantastic.... as they say a game changer. NOW I have a question....once home and no trip on the horizon for a month or so....
What do you guys do with the fridge.... seems kinda odd to me to just turn it off?
For me....
I have mine wired to my Aux batt. I just unplug it when not in use. But I rarely have more than 3 in the truck so it is always in the backseat.

systemdelete

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Nashville, TN
First Name
Erik
Last Name
Rumbaugh
Member #

I leave mine in the truck from March to around November. Keeps lunches and drinks cold in the truck 24/7 through the summer. Winter it comes inside as a spare drink fridge for the garage.

Reactions: Downs and Graeman

Graeman

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Catalina Avenue, Tucson, AZ, USA
First Name
Todd
Last Name
Hoffmaster
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7CRJ
Service Branch
Air Force
We live in a studio apartment, so when it isn't in the Jeep it is being used as a drink fridge inside. Yes, I have it running 24/7 and no issues what so ever.

Reactions: 64Trvlr and M Rose

Vinman

Rank II

Enthusiast III

I leave mine in the truck from March to around November. Keeps lunches and drinks cold in the truck 24/7 through the summer. Winter it comes inside as a spare drink fridge for the garage.
I do the same thing. I purchased an Engel in ‘03 or ‘04 and it’s been running at least 90% of the time either in the truck, Jeep or as a spare drink fridge in the house.

Reactions: 64Trvlr and Graeman

IAm_Not_Lost

Rank II
Launch Member

Contributor III

Arizona
First Name
Jim
Last Name
Yeats
Member #

Mine runs 24/7. I have a solar panel on top and a house battery in the back. If I didn't have those things then after a trip I would just clean it out, leave the lid cracked, and turn off.