Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Assiniboia Saskatchewan Canada
First Name
David
Last Name
McNaughton
Member #

hi everyone. I just completed a 14 overlanding trip with my 4 year old daughter in Saskatchewan and Alberta. We visited Antelope lake regional park near Gull Lake SK, Drumheller AB, Oldman River north of Coleman AB, Medicine Hat AB, Cypress Hills Provincial Park and finally Pine Cree near Eastend Sk. I used a regular Coleman cooler on the trip using frozen water bottles and then bagged ice as needed. I prefer to go to remote places where ice isn't always available and I'm tired of everything floating in water. I've decided to upgrade to a 12v fridge/freezer. I am planning on also getting a solar panel to help keep my battery charged. I do run a dual battery set up in my jeep. I'm wondering if anyone has recommendations on a good brand of fridge/freezer. I would prefer a dual zone model as opposed to just fridge or freezer. Budget is always a concern but I'm willing to spend money on something that will last years to come. Thank you for the help

Reactions: Desert Runner

Enthusiast III

Grand Falls-Windsor, NL, Canada
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Adams
I just bought a unique branded 45qt fridge from Costco in Canada. We paid 599.00 for it. It works awesome and we are trying it out for the first time this weekend. A couple of tricks. Precool your fridge, and food so it is already cold. And keep it full if possible.

Reactions: Graeman

Yroundrdn

Rank II

Enthusiast III

San Diego, CA, USA
First Name
Ben
Be sure to check the amp hour draw. I had a Whynter that was great but the draw was 2.6 Ah and tough to keep up with that draw. After a ton of research I went with the Smittybuilt 50 qt that only has a .8 Ah draw. This is working great and I can run an AGM battery on it for over 24 hrs sitting in the heat. I leave it on 24/7 and so far no issues.

Reactions: Graeman

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

Northeast Oregon, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
Be sure to check the amp hour draw. I had a Whynter that was great but the draw was 2.6 Ah and tough to keep up with that draw. After a ton of research I went with the Smittybuilt 50 qt that only has a .8 Ah draw. This is working great and I can run an AGM battery on it for over 24 hrs sitting in the heat. I leave it on 24/7 and so far no issues.
Did yours have the low fan setting? I found putting a bag of ice in mine along with the insulated cover makes it draw a lot less amps. I ran the cooler twice for a couple of hours in 100+ temps over 4 days and still had over 3/4 of the bag of ice (most ended up in our drinks), and the fridge stayed at 30 degrees.

Desert Runner

Rank VII
Launch Member

Expedition Master III

Southern Nevada
First Name
Jerold
Last Name
F.
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
/GMRS=WREA307
Snow Master has a good rep. More top of the line, and not cheap. Seems to be preferred in many international countries. They are here in the North American market now with distributors. A South African Co. I think. Comes with a lot of standard features, unlike some cheaper models that then need optional upgrades if available. Built for heavy duty use, in a robust chest chassis. They also offer different class level's of fridge/ freezer dual zones.

Last edited:

HIALT2D

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Orange County, CA
First Name
Glen
Last Name
Stanley
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WA6AAB
I'm currently researching the dual zone, dual lid, chest type fridge/freezers. I've been looking hard at the SnoMaster. That is until I found the TruckFridge. Very comparable units for quite a bit less in cost. Still haven't decided yet...

RJ Howell

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

Auburn, NH USA
First Name
RJ
Last Name
Howell
Member #

Bought a 70qt Costway frig and it's working out very well. My 24hr draw is +- 15amps (625 ma an hour). Key is to be certain it's a compressor style unit. Several others out there on the cheap that are not and will only lower the temp 20° from ambient. I use my overland daily (if only for an hour plus) and my DC/DC charger has the battery back to full each day. I no longer carry my solar... no need for it.

Get Out GO

Ambassador, Africa

Influencer III

Randburg, South Africa
First Name
Christoff
Last Name
Eilerd
Member #

Snow Master has a good rep. More top of the line, and not cheap. Seems to be preferred in many international countries. They are here in the North American market now with distributors. A South African Co. I think. Comes with a lot of standard features, unlike some cheaper models that then need optional upgrades if available. Built for heavy duty use, in a robust chest chassis. They also offer different class level's of fridge/ freezer dual zones.
Snomaster is a South African company, yes.

I have used National Luna, Snomaster, Waeco (Dometic) and Engel.

My preference is Engel as it has a really low power draw and it's tough as nails. Downside is it's very expensive compared to other brands.
I have a National Luna 90l dual compartment in my trailer and I haven't had any issues with it in the 5y I've had it. Low power draw as well.
I have a Snomaster 40l dual compartment and the thermostat failed within a year. The product does come with a 3y warranty (locally) and the after-sales service was good. It has a wireless remote which is nice and reasonable power draw. I'll be testing the new low profile 66l dual compartment one soon (sponsored).
I had a Waeco (dometic) 40l and I was not impressed. Plastic construction, lid broke in the first year, control panel had to be replaced soon thereafter and it has a massive power draw compared to the above ones. Apparently the new Dometic CFX branded ones are much better but I don't have any personal experience with them.

National luna and Snomasters are fairly easy to repair as well which is great in remote areas obviously.

Desert Runner

Rank VII
Launch Member

Expedition Master III

Southern Nevada
First Name
Jerold
Last Name
F.
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
/GMRS=WREA307
Snomaster is a South African company, yes.

I have used National Luna, Snomaster, Waeco (Dometic) and Engel.

My preference is Engel as it has a really low power draw and it's tough as nails. Downside is it's very expensive compared to other brands.
I have a National Luna 90l dual compartment in my trailer and I haven't had any issues with it in the 5y I've had it. Low power draw as well.
I have a Snomaster 40l dual compartment and the thermostat failed within a year. The product does come with a 3y warranty (locally) and the after-sales service was good. It has a wireless remote which is nice and reasonable power draw. I'll be testing the new low profile 66l dual compartment one soon (sponsored).
I had a Waeco (dometic) 40l and I was not impressed. Plastic construction, lid broke in the first year, control panel had to be replaced soon thereafter and it has a massive power draw compared to the above ones. Apparently the new Dometic CFX branded ones are much better but I don't have any personal experience with them.

National luna and Snomasters are fairly easy to repair as well which is great in remote areas obviously.
Good to know, and thanks for the input from afar. More and more International members are chiming in. From Central and South America, Europe, of course Australia, and now from you in South Africa. You must have some great adventures and stories to tell. Most of what I know about South Africa Overlanding, came from Andrew St. Pierre.
OBLogo-Gold_Outlined_100x.png

Get Out GO

Ambassador, Africa

Influencer III

Randburg, South Africa
First Name
Christoff
Last Name
Eilerd
Member #

Good to know, and thanks for the input from afar. More and more International members are chiming in. From Central and South America, Europe, of course Australia, and now from you in South Africa. You must have some great adventures and stories to tell. Most of what I know about South Africa Overlanding, came from Andrew St. Pierre.
View attachment 167585
Happy to give input where I can!

Living in Africa comes with a few challenges but it's overlanding paradise if you ask me. Old ASPW is definitely an authority on Southern African overlanding, yes :wink:

Reactions: MazeVX

Clarkk

Rank I

Enthusiast I

USA
First Name
Kenneth
Last Name
Clark
The 12 volt refrigerator from Dometic actually works. I put water in 3 buckets: one in the far back at the bottom of the metal basket, one near the front in a plastic drawer to lift, and one in the front milk compartment. Turn the freezer to 20 degrees. About an hour later, it was 20, and the next morning, 2 of the 3 buckets of water had frozen.

Last edited:

F8OO

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Toronto, ON, Canada
First Name
James
Last Name
F
Member #

I’ve been using a JoyTutus 18L and so far so good: it’s a lot smaller than some of the others but for myself and my wife, the only things we “need” cold are raw meats and milk for coffees!

It was $299 on Amazon when I bought it in March 2021.

Hope that helps!

OcoeeG

Rank II

Enthusiast III

SE TN
First Name
Chris
Last Name
Gee
I am in the market too, have heard good things about IceCo. I like the VL45. $559. They use the same compressor as the big name brands allegedly. I am SOOOO ready to be done with ice and soggy wet packaging. Might have to pull the trigger before the summer season rolls in

caj13

Rank II

Enthusiast II

Auberry, CA, USA
First Name
carl
Last Name
johansson
I just posted my real world experiences with the IceCo 20 Q dual zone in a thread here , maybe that will help you out.

Reactions: Ebbs

caj13

Rank II

Enthusiast II

Auberry, CA, USA
First Name
carl
Last Name
johansson
yeah, i researched it, the big names ARB, dometic etc, differentiated from the cheap knock offs by the compressor they use. they all have the Secop compressor, with the 5 year warrantee instead of 1 year. the Iceco also uses that same Secop compressor. I'm sure in my case i just have to get to the eco settings and dial it up - to tighten up that temp swing. powerdraw wise, this thing is amazingly good - I can run the fridge for at least 4 days off a 720 W "solar generator"