12v fridge: Engel, ARB, or National Luna US Support

• HTML tutorial

thispiece

Rank 0

Traveler I

UAE
I have recently started researching fridges and my choices were what you have listed, plus Snomaster. I have decided to purchase a Snomaster. Snomaster has come highly recommended by some friends and I have also been told that Snomaster has wonderful customer service in the US.

I am planning to purchase their 56L fridge/freezer, CL-56D. I wasn't sure if I wanted a freezer, but was informed it can also be used as a fridge.

Reactions: HeliSniper

HeliSniper

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer I

Dallas, Texas
First Name
Brad
Last Name
S
Member #

I have recently started researching fridges and my choices were what you have listed, plus Snomaster. I have decided to purchase a Snomaster. Snomaster has come highly recommended by some friends and I have also been told that Snomaster has wonderful customer service in the US.

I am planning to purchase their 56L fridge/freezer, CL-56D. I wasn't sure if I wanted a freezer, but was informed it can also be used as a fridge.
I agree with the Snomaster being a great choice. I am in the market and have been looking at all you've mentioned above and I still come back to Snomaster. I have no affiliation with them, just like their product.

Reactions: thispiece

Steve

lost again...
Founder 500
Launch Member

Traveler III

Lorain County, OH, USA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
None
Member #

I have no experience with any brand other than National Luna. I can say that Paul May of Equipt Outfitters offered unequivacably the best customer service I have ever experienced.

Equipt is National Luna's sole US importer, and all sales are through them (other dealers are simply drop-shipped orders through Paul.) I purchased a National Luna 90Twin through a source that brought the fridge into the US directly from South Africa. When I had a problem, I did not have a US warranty, and that the South Africa warranty I did have required me to ship the unit to the factory for any covered repairs.

I contacted Paul for any suggestions on what to look for and what I could test, stating up front that I did not purchase from him, nor did I expect or ask for any warranty work through Equipt. Despite that, Paul spent quite a bit of time over several phone calls trying to get us back up and running. (We were five days into a six week trip when the fridge failed.) Paul even called and talked to the owner of National Luna in South Africa to try to get my unit covered under his US warranty service. When that didn't work Paul offered to buy my unit back for what I paid, and offered an incredibly substantial discount on the difference to buy a new unit from him with a US warranty. I just couldn't justify the additional cost, though.

In the end, Paul was unable to help. But he put in a valiant effort, despite me having never spent a dime at Equipt. Even worse, I had stopped in at Equipt the year before to look at the K9 rack, and I'd told him I'd order one when I got home. Then I changed my mind and bought the Prinsu rack. I owe them a big order at some point!!

Second place award goes to the place where I actually bought the 90 Twin fridge. After denying any responsibility for warranty work on the demo unit I bought, and offering no suggestions on what I could do, he eventually traded his own personal 90 Twin for my dead unit, and sent it back to South Africa with an existing shipment he was preparing.

New unit is working flawlessly, and everyone involved stated that they have either never or very rarely had any problems with National Luna.

Road

Not into ranks, titles or points.
Launch Member

Advocate III

On the road in North America
First Name
Road
Last Name
Dude
Member #

I bet the OP has made a choice by now, but I'll throw in that I have an ARB 50litre and have had absolutely no problems of any kind with it.

Longest continuous use was around 16 weeks straight on the road with the unit being unplugged and plugged back in almost daily, depending on overnight temps. Ran it from the cranking battery in the van, even, with no problems, as it only draws like 1.2 amps once down to temp. Would usually keep it plugged in while driving so it would cool, then if cool enough temps outside when I returned to camp, would unplug it. It would stay down at or near temp for many hours, even overnight usually, without being plugged in again, though this was fall and late fall.

Quick to cool, easy to keep at the temp I'd set, great seal, easy to use, love the configuration, etc. I keep the travel cover on all the time.

Important to keep the air space open around the vents. Best luck I've had with it is running it in my van right inside the back doors and not inside any type of closed container or nose box.

@Jeff Graham - what did you end up getting and how do you like it?

Reactions: GeoYota

GeoYota

Rank III
Launch Member

Advocate II

Escondido, CA
Member #

I bet the OP has made a choice by now, but I'll throw in that I have an ARB 50litre and have had absolutely no problems of any kind with it.
X2!

We have enjoyed a trouble free experience with ARB since 2011. I did crack the original clasp/closure clamp on our 50lt., and was able to source and order quickly from ARB USA.

Use it as our "back up" fridge in the garage for sodas/beer, so it runs on AC pretty much non-stop when it's not providing slosh-free chilling in the back of our Tacoma...again, no problems!

Reactions: Road

1Louder

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member II

AZ
First Name
Chris
Last Name
K
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K1LDR
Dometic makes the ARB fridges. Food for thought.
I used to own a 37 ARB - Nice fridge
I now have a 50 Indel - Good fridge but space is not as efficient as my ARB.
Next fridge will probably be a Dometic but I would still consider Snomaster.

Here's some testing I did last year: https://www.4xoverlandadventures.com/2017-winter-fridge-shootout/

My next fridge will be a fridge/freezer combo. Yes most can be Fridge/Freezer. Freezer/Freezer. or Fridge/Fridge

Hard to beat the price point of the Dometic. Especially during an occasional "show special."

GeoYota

Rank III
Launch Member

Advocate II

Escondido, CA
Member #

Here's some testing I did last year: https://www.4xoverlandadventures.com/2017-winter-fridge-shootout/

My next fridge will be a fridge/freezer combo. Yes most can be Fridge/Freezer. Freezer/Freezer. or Fridge/Fridge

Hard to beat the price point of the Dometic. Especially during an occasional "show special."
@1Louder ...that sir, is an excellent article. Just one of my fave takeaways was this passage packed with fridge toting tips:

Best Practices When Running a Fridge in Your Vehicle:
  • Pre-cool your fridge and food before your trip. The longer you can pre-cool prior to loading in your vehicle the more efficient your fridge will run
  • The more full your fridge is the more efficient it will run
  • Protect your fridge from the sun. Use shades and even a blanket on top but make sure you are not blocking the ventilation ports
  • Make sure there is room around the ventilation ports of at least 2-3”.
  • USE SOLAR to supplement your power needs. A basic 100watt solar suitcase is around $250.00. This will greatly prolong the life of your battery(s) and make sure you have enough power to start your vehicle in the morning. The good news is all of the fridge/freezers we tested have voltage cutoffs. I currently own a Renogy 100 Watt Suitcase and love it. Other than being a bit bulky a 100 watt setup can keep my vehicle battery and 2 trailer batteries charged up.

Very interesting specs on the amp draw for each fridge...as well as the actual fridge temp vs. actual. We have discovered that with our 50qt. ARB as well, with our goal temp @ 27 degrees for temping food both chilled and frozen.

One other tip, that I haven't actually taken the time to modify yet...but saw on another great thread on EXPO...is to insulate the chiller/upper section of your ARB from the compressor's heat with shields inside the cabinet/surrouding the chill compartment.

You can see the mod here on post #38: https://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/arb-cords-and-fridge-mods.148730/page-3#post-2138509

Reactions: Road and 1Louder

SW_UT_FJ

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Hurricane, UT
First Name
Russ
Last Name
Wright
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KA7HOS

Thanks for sharing your test results, I learned quite a bit from the article. Nice job!

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk

Horse Soldier

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Louisville Ky
First Name
B
Last Name
Davis
Member #

I have a 45 at engel that is in my semi and travels east coast to west coast and all of Canada to Alaska. I also use it on the trail. I have a whynter 45 qt also but it does not have that many miles on it like the engel.

SAC-CA-Runner

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Dublin, CA
Member #

I have used an Indel B for a year and a half and never let me down. Its a narrower footprint. Just got a Dometic cuz I wanted to go against the "IG Famous" crowd tho the Dometic brand is getting more popular in the Overland crowd. They have been in the RV scene for a long time. Happy so far.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk