12v Cooler Question?

• HTML tutorial

Toupswrangler

Rank 0

Contributor I

I'm about the purchase my first 12v cooler and have a question. Is there any reason a 12v cooler couldn't be loaded up with ice in a pinch? Do they have a drain plug like a regular ice chest? My homemade trailer doesn't have the battery capacity or solar power(yet) to run the cooler for more than 2-3 days but where I usually camp ice is relatively close to make due for an extended trip. I have read that they do warm up faster than a traditional ice chest but is there any other limitations on loading them with ice if I'm out of power???

I'm thinking it wouldn't be an issue but then again never owning a 12v cooler I'm not sure.....??? I'd much rather hear from you guys/gals who own them and know the answer.

Thanks for any info!!!

Downs

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Hunt County Texas
First Name
Joshua
Last Name
Downs
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KK6RBI / WQYH678
Service Branch
USMC 03-16, FIRE/EMS
Are we talking a cooler or a refrigerator/freezer?

Downs

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Hunt County Texas
First Name
Joshua
Last Name
Downs
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KK6RBI / WQYH678
Service Branch
USMC 03-16, FIRE/EMS
Might be a good question for the specific manufacturer of the one you want to get. According to Koolatron you can put ice in it in an enclosed container but not loose as it will damage the unit if water sloshes up into the fan assembly. But they sell coolers not fridge/freezers

Can I put ice in my Koolatron cooler?
Yes BUT not loose, any water inside the cooler will splash up under the cooling fan and short circuit the electronics. Put the ice in a sealed container, NOT a plastic bag. That way you can use the ice for drinks and it will help to rapidly cool the contents on really hot days. Keep the ice container at the opposite ends of the cooling fins. This way your contents get the benefit of two cold sources and you are not blocking the interior air circulation.

ryanorr280

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Wewoka, Seminole County, Oklahoma, United States
First Name
Ryan
Last Name
Orr
Member #

I have a cheap Coleman 12v cooler, and it’s the same as above. You have to put the ice in a sealed container or it will damage the cooler. We don’t use it a lot for that reason, as I’m not setup to leave it running constantly either.

Reactions: Downs

Dr Gil

Rank II

Enthusiast III

Fort Collins, CO, USA
First Name
Gil
Last Name
Kajiki
My 63 qt ARB has a drain plug on the bottom. It doesn't leak at all from spilled fluids, so in theory, yes you can put ice in the fridge and it would be fine. But.... it's a drain plug to let out small amounts of water, not a plug to keep water enclosed in it. The plug pushes in under friction with a rubber O-ring, it does not screw down.

Reactions: JohnKeller

1Louder

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member II

AZ
First Name
Chris
Last Name
K
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K1LDR
Generally speaking they are no insulated as well as coolers. You would want to check with the manufacturer to confirm if you can load it up with loose ice. Lots of people freeze bottles of water to help with cooling and as a backup. The more full these refrigerators are the better they work.

Reactions: JohnKeller

JohnKeller

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Park City, Utah, United States
First Name
John
Last Name
Keller
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7FIQ
Take a hard look at the ARB and the Dometic. Not cheap but extremely easy on your battery. Before a 2-3 day trip plug into AC power and freeze the inside. While driving to your destination run off your alternator in Fridge mode. The power monitors in these are fantastic. Never running your battery below what you need to start the engine. Running the engine for 20-30 minutes will charge your battery and cool the fridge. Hope this helps.

Reactions: Downs

RideFlyDiveJeep

Rank VI
Launch Member

Advocate I

Shawnee, KS 66217, USA
First Name
Mark
Last Name
Peterson
Member #

I picked up the IceCo JP40. I do freeze a few bottles of water, and all items are refrigerated before going inside. Mine doesn't have a drain plug. I have kept my ice in ziploc bags for years. That way ice can be reused for drinking. Now I carry a few empty bags for backup and have the bottles for drinking water.