Advocate II

Wagoner County, Oklahoma
First Name
Buddy
Last Name
NLN
Service Branch
Resigned EMT-B
When I bought my Jeep the headliner was teabagging me and crapping brown fuzz all over me. I didnt want to pay 200+ for someone to put in new fabric, and knew me+glue+fabric waz just screaming disaster. I also knew that I hate the look and sound of bare metal above my head.
20170515_173152.jpg

So I did the next best thing I could think of. I bought 2 6$ cans of rustoleum spray on bedliner. I pulled my old headliner out, scraped all the old glue off with a wire brush and started spraying.

20170514_184557.jpg
20170515_173507.jpg

Now at this point I could have put it back in and been happy with a cbeap fix, but I went one step further. I knew that metal, then fiberglass, then black bed liner was just begging for an oven in the summer. I decided to invest a little more (optional) and bought a roll of reflectix insulation from lowes and lined my roof with it before reinstalling my headliner.

20170515_173406.jpg

20170515_185808.jpg

Then just reinstalled. I did about 4-5 coats as the fiberglass sheet kept wanting to absorb the paint. Key here is ventalation and allowing the headliner to cure for a few days before reinstall to keep the chemical smell to a minimum.

20180211_094857.jpg
20180211_094837.jpg

I like the 2 tone finish with the overhead consol and sun visors also.20180211_094832.jpg

adventure_is_necessary

Rocky Mountain Region Local Expert Kansas

Traveler III

Bonner Springs, Kansas, United States
First Name
Lucas
Last Name
Antes
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE0ZXA
I might have to try that reflectix stuff between the metal and headliner on mine. I'm planning on making window covers with it to help in the colder months. I'd love to cut down on the noise and heat transfer while driving tho!

Kardolf

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Washington
First Name
David
Last Name
Uthmann
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KG7LZJ
My old XJ had the headliner sagging problems and I finally pulled it out, and used some color matched thread to hand sewed the fabric to head fiberglass. Never had a problem with it again, but it certainly didn't look as nice as what you have done.

kevhes

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Manteca, ca
Member #

ive thought about doing this on my jk, but with the thicker insulation. i think it would beat paying for the insulation kits that are way over priced, plus it gets rid of the white roof inside.