FOR SALE 10% DISCOUNT GUARANTEED! Torro Offroad Group buy opportunity: 10-15% savings. 7 Feb order deadline

• HTML tutorial

SHEEPDOG 111

Rank III
Launch Member

Influencer II

Central Massachusetts
First Name
Michael
Last Name
C
Member #

Thanks @Stumpalama for the information about this rtt. After spending time on their website I found in depth information about the product and decided to pull the trigger on the Bantam model. I think it will be a nice fit on my shortbed colorado. All the accessories included were a big factor in my decision and the winter insulation will be helpful for cold weather in New England. I will definitely leave an unbiased review upon product arrival and use.
Once again, thank you @Stumpalama and may all your adventures be safe and inspiring.

Reactions: QCrunner and Boort

Stumpalama

Rank II

Enthusiast II

Manassas, VA, USA
First Name
Mike
Last Name
Thomas
Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM4SXK
Thanks @Stumpalama for the information about this rtt. After spending time on their website I found in depth information about the product and decided to pull the trigger on the Bantam model. I think it will be a nice fit on my shortbed colorado. All the accessories included were a big factor in my decision and the winter insulation will be helpful for cold weather in New England. I will definitely leave an unbiased review upon product arrival and use.
Once again, thank you @Stumpalama and may all your adventures be safe and inspiring.
Very cool. Thanks for participating in the group buy.

QCrunner

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Charlotte, NC
Member #

Anyone received their order yet? Any reviews from anyone that has one yet? I would appreciate any real world feedback on these RTTs.

oeb0630

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Gainesville, GA
First Name
Bryan
Last Name
Gray
Member #

I keep going to their site, as the Bantam seems like it would fit my needs well. However, so would the Roofnest Condor. Has anyone received their SkyLux yet? I can't find any reviews anywhere....except the info vids on YT from Torro Offroad.

Spencerr

Rank IV

Enthusiast II

Santa Rosa, CA, USA
First Name
Spencer
Last Name
Reid
Member #

I keep going to their site, as the Bantam seems like it would fit my needs well. However, so would the Roofnest Condor. Has anyone received their SkyLux yet? I can't find any reviews anywhere....except the info vids on YT from Torro Offroad.

Mine arrived in mid July and I’ve take it out just about every weekend since. Shipping took forever, as soon as I hit order the world shut down. From my understanding they have fixed their shipping issues. It was well worth the wait! Any questions don’t hesitate to ask, I have a handful of pictures as well.

BigMF

Rank III
Launch Member

Contributor III

Nashville, TN, USA
First Name
Mark
Last Name
Ferguson
Member #

Mine arrived in mid July and I’ve take it out just about every weekend since. Shipping took forever, as soon as I hit order the world shut down. From my understanding they have fixed their shipping issues. It was well worth the wait! Any questions don’t hesitate to ask, I have a handful of pictures as well.
Would love to see some fresh pictures! Still holding up?

Also, any options at all to add some crossbars to the top? I'd like to take a kayak or two along sometimes.

K9LTW

Rank IV
Investor

Traveler III

Front Royal, VA
First Name
Casey
Last Name
Arnold
Member #

Also, any options at all to add some crossbars to the top? I'd like to take a kayak or two along sometimes.
I got mine in July as well. Probably 16 nights in it so far, with anywhere from me and a dog to me, my wife, and both dogs in it in some way. Plenty of room for the four of us in the tent on a cold night even with the insulation installed. On war,we nights, they sleep in the annex.

While the initial ordering/shipping was a major cluster, I HOPE things smooth out. In all, I’m really pleased with it; particularly with getting the insulation, annex and awning in the original package deal. One gripe is the lack of a skylight in the rainfly. Supposedly this was chosen to eliminate a weak spot and potential for leaks. Bah. Seam sealer is cheap and easy, and I’d much rather have the chance to look at the stars. As it is, you have to remove the fly (easily done) to use the roof window...but then you lose all ability to use the awning or annex.

I also wish the fly sealed against the edges of the tent. I may consider having Velcro sewn in. As it is, with the annex attached, it’s not actually enclosed as the sides of the rainfly are loose. A hard, sideways rain or snow is going to make its way in. It’s also proven to be a gateway to bugs, as well as an escape vector for heat while using a buddy heater.

With that said...the annex has been awesome! The floor is an invaluable part, and heavy duty. I always throw blankets down to protect it from the dogs but it shows little wear on the exterior. Even with my trailer raised to around 8’, there’s still room to go up. The extra space provided is insane, and a welcome respite during bad weather or when you just don’t want to deal with bugs.

The insulation provides noticeable...uh...insulation. It’s a PITA to get in, but with practice, I’m a lot faster. Just irritated that some of the zippers are backwards, causing me to have to reach behind the panel to zip it in. Now that I know that, however, I just adjust the order of installation.

The mattress? Meh. My hips are screaming in short order (side sleeper), so we use our insulated, inflatable pads. With three of them (2x 25” and a 20”) it pretty much covers the effective sleeping area for a uniform surface across.

The only other gripe is the annex panels just aren’t very precise. With it stretched taught away from the fly and across, it’s nigh impossible to get a tight roof pitch. It pools in heavy rain, and I cringe at the thought of collecting snow. Time will tell.

With that all said...it’s been a really great basecamp for us, and I’m truly glad we got it. The only upgrade I made was buying iKamper’s 2.0 ladder which fits right on. It has angled rungs that provide a flatter surface when at the proper angle.

As far as adding crossbars? That’s a hard no. First it’s not a flat surface. Second it’s thin, highly flexible material. Zero structural support to mount something. Even if you ran braces underneath it...just no.

Attachments

Reactions: BigMF

BigMF

Rank III
Launch Member

Contributor III

Nashville, TN, USA
First Name
Mark
Last Name
Ferguson
Member #

I got mine in July as well. Probably 16 nights in it so far, with anywhere from me and a dog to me, my wife, and both dogs in it in some way. Plenty of room for the four of us in the tent on a cold night even with the insulation installed. On war,we nights, they sleep in the annex.

While the initial ordering/shipping was a major cluster, I HOPE things smooth out. In all, I’m really pleased with it; particularly with getting the insulation, annex and awning in the original package deal. One gripe is the lack of a skylight in the rainfly. Supposedly this was chosen to eliminate a weak spot and potential for leaks. Bah. Seam sealer is cheap and easy, and I’d much rather have the chance to look at the stars. As it is, you have to remove the fly (easily done) to use the roof window...but then you lose all ability to use the awning or annex.

I also wish the fly sealed against the edges of the tent. I may consider having Velcro sewn in. As it is, with the annex attached, it’s not actually enclosed as the sides of the rainfly are loose. A hard, sideways rain or snow is going to make its way in. It’s also proven to be a gateway to bugs, as well as an escape vector for heat while using a buddy heater.

With that said...the annex has been awesome! The floor is an invaluable part, and heavy duty. I always throw blankets down to protect it from the dogs but it shows little wear on the exterior. Even with my trailer raised to around 8’, there’s still room to go up. The extra space provided is insane, and a welcome respite during bad weather or when you just don’t want to deal with bugs.

The insulation provides noticeable...uh...insulation. It’s a PITA to get in, but with practice, I’m a lot faster. Just irritated that some of the zippers are backwards, causing me to have to reach behind the panel to zip it in. Now that I know that, however, I just adjust the order of installation.

The mattress? Meh. My hips are screaming in short order (side sleeper), so we use our insulated, inflatable pads. With three of them (2x 25” and a 20”) it pretty much covers the effective sleeping area for a uniform surface across.

The only other gripe is the annex panels just aren’t very precise. With it stretched taught away from the fly and across, it’s nigh impossible to get a tight roof pitch. It pools in heavy rain, and I cringe at the thought of collecting snow. Time will tell.

With that all said...it’s been a really great basecamp for us, and I’m truly glad we got it. The only upgrade I made was buying iKamper’s 2.0 ladder which fits right on. It has angled rungs that provide a flatter surface when at the proper angle.

As far as adding crossbars? That’s a hard no. First it’s not a flat surface. Second it’s thin, highly flexible material. Zero structural support to mount something. Even if you ran braces underneath it...just no.
Thanks for the pix and update! Still torn by all the options.

Spencerr

Rank IV

Enthusiast II

Santa Rosa, CA, USA
First Name
Spencer
Last Name
Reid
Member #

Since it’s arrival we have spent 20+ nights in the tent and are throughly happy with it. The only attachment we have used is the awning. The rest are a little much for our type of camping (too much set up and take down time) we often move camp everyday.
The hard shell seems a little more flexible/ flimsy than I had hoped. However I haven’t had any issues with dust or water getting in while traveling.

Attachments