Launch Member

Advocate III

On the road in North America
First Name
Road
Last Name
Dude
Member #

Get gas whenever you see it as the next station might be dry. Gas is same price everywhere as its controlled by government.

Bring an inflatable kayak to get on the water.

Being a sense of adventure and a smile and enjoy!
Cool, great info. Two questions:
- Is diesel as plentiful there as on this side of the border?
- Any recommendations on inflatable kayaks that the OP or anyone else should consider? Currently, I'm looking at the AIRE Tributary Tomcat Tandem Inflatable Kayak at $779, around 50lbs, and packs up to 25 x 21 x 16. I'm going to post in Overland Recreation, too, to see if anyone has personal experience with this one.

Dozer38

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor I

Laguna Niguel, CA
Member #

Great info. Thanks for the update. I head out tomorrow morning so I will report in when I get back. I am read for this vacation!

Reactions: Road

HIALT2D

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Orange County, CA
First Name
Glen
Last Name
Stanley
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WA6AAB
- Any recommendations on inflatable kayaks that the OP or anyone else should consider? Currently, I'm looking at the AIRE Tributary Tomcat Tandem Inflatable Kayak at $779, around 50lbs, and packs up to 25 x 21 x 16. I'm going to post in Overland Recreation, too, to see if anyone has personal experience with this one.
I drive a diesel and have had no problems finding gas. I think the trick is to plan on getting your gas in areas where the big trucks travel frequently. The Mexican government de-regulated control of gasoline sales around October of last year. This allows the gas stations to set their own prices. Many of the gas stations now post their prices just like here in the US. At least around San Felipe, we have seen more gas stations pop up. The prices seem to fluctuate like they do here, but you can still find some gas stations selling their gas a little cheaper than some others.

Road

Not into ranks, titles or points.
Launch Member

Advocate III

First Name
Road
Last Name
Dude
Member #

I drive a diesel and have had no problems finding gas. I think the trick is to plan on getting your gas in areas where the big trucks travel frequently. The Mexican government de-regulated control of gasoline sales around October of last year. This allows the gas stations to set their own prices. Many of the gas stations now post their prices just like here in the US. At least around San Felipe, we have seen more gas stations pop up. The prices seem to fluctuate like they do here, but you can still find some gas stations selling their gas a little cheaper than some others.
Good to know man; much appreciated. I've been running diesel vehicles steadily since the mid 80's and am used to planning accordingly in certain areas. Sounds like where you've been in Mexico is much like many areas in the states and Canada, then; not exactly plentiful everywhere, but there if you look and most always available within reach if near trucking routes.

I suspect it will be the same through much of the rest of Mexico. I have a 31 gal tank and usually carry another ten or more in containers.

Thanks for the reply!

Last edited:
Reactions: HIALT2D

Jroettele

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

Anaheim, CA
Member #

Anybody know of any secret camping spots on the beach near San Felipe?
Yes, I know of a great camping spot near San Felipe. Let me get the GPS coord. 31.076272, -114.853969 I'll attached a file. I've camped there twice. Once I had to pay, and last time I didn't.

Attachments

SpikeMD

Rank V

Enthusiast III

Granite Bay, CA
First Name
Ted
Last Name
Speicher
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WJ6SPK

Herkjerk

Rank 0
Launch Member

Traveler I

Member #

I used a sea eagle 420x on my recent trip down! Turned out to be my favorite part of the trip. Paddled all over, surfed, fished, etc. The sea eagle ones are class IV rated and super solid boats. I wouldn't buy anything else!

Sent with tin cans and paper footballs!

SpikeMD

Rank V

Enthusiast III

Granite Bay, CA
First Name
Ted
Last Name
Speicher
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WJ6SPK
Looks great. I'm hoping to head down near Gonzaga bay for a week April 14th. Trying to get truck ready and taxes done.

Road

Launch Member

Advocate III

First Name
Road
Last Name
Dude
Member #

I used a sea eagle 420x on my recent trip down! Turned out to be my favorite part of the trip. Paddled all over, surfed, fished, etc. The sea eagle ones are class IV rated and super solid boats. I wouldn't buy anything else!

Sent with tin cans and paper footballs!
Cool beans, @Herkjerk - I'll definitely look into those. I'm seriously considering a trip up through Labrador and Newfoundland too, and have been researching paddling opportunities there, as well. Thanks for the info.

Road

Launch Member

Advocate III

First Name
Road
Last Name
Dude
Member #

Glad to hear u had fun!

My kayak is an Innova Helios2 tandem kayak. Originally bought at REI but don't think they sell them anymore. Anything the is durable and not a toy will get you on the water. Just be careful and don't venture out too far. Winds can pick up and make paddling tough. But it is so nice to be in the water down there!

https://airkayaks.wordpress.com/2016/07/31/product-review-compact-innova-helios-2-inflatable-kayak/
Thanks @SpikeMD - I'll check out what I can and see if there is a new version or somewhere else that sells them. As for not going out too far, I hear you. My girlfriend almost got swept out too far on coastal currents when we lived in Hawaii, on a simple float, no less. I appreciate the info, link, and advice.

Dur66

Rank II
Launch Member

Contributor III

Good Afternoon,
I'm planning a trip to Baja in the future. Has anyone been to the Canon de Guadelupe hot springs? I'm thinking of making it my first overnight.
Durwin

Reactions: DezertRat

DezertRat

Rank III

Enthusiast III

Yuma AZ
Good Afternoon,
I'm planning a trip to Baja in the future. Has anyone been to the Canon de Guadelupe hot springs? I'm thinking of making it my first overnight.
Durwin
Yes ive been there, its great during spring, in the summer it can get up to 120F, theres hot springs and there are several waterfalls further up on the canyon and that water is cold! There are two ways in, the main entrance is very worn out with wash board all the way in from Hwy 2, the other entrance is east of the main one and it runs through the dry lake bed....it is a mud trap when it rains and its worse if you get off the main tracks
If you can get gps cords to the entrance from hwy 2, entrance to the canyon that will help alot if you dont know the route since it can get confusing if you dont know the route
Also dont go in a single vehicle, also notify C4 if youre going in and notify them when you clear out, theres been numerous lost tourist and even locals so notifying C4 (mexican 911) is a good safety plan

DezertRat

Rank III

Enthusiast III

Yuma AZ
image.jpg
Thats the first water fall youll find, its about half mile hike from the camping area/hot springs

The hot springs are now divided into two or three campgrounds each one maintained by different people but all are family..
I like staying on the one furthest into the canyon since its closest to the waterfalls, i really dont care much about the hot springs
The hot springs have been transformed and now they are plumbed into little hot tubs that you need to fill up with the spring water

Dur66

Rank II
Launch Member

Contributor III

Thank you very much for the information. I'll prepare for hot weather. I'm really looking forward to it.
Durwin