10 Day Baja Trip

• HTML tutorial

Dozer38

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor I

Laguna Niguel, CA
Member #

Hi, my name is Larry. Me and my girl are going to Baja on a 10 day road trip. We are crossing in Mexicali and heading down to Bahia Concepcion. I have a TJ with a RTT and plan to camp on the beaches all the way down and back. I have only been that far down once and I am not super familiar with much past San Felipe. I am sure a lot of you know all the cool spots. What are some of your "must see" locations? I am super excited about this trip and hopefully I will get some great ideas here. Thank you!

Reactions: RogueGB7 and Theeds

Herkjerk

Rank 0
Launch Member

Traveler I

Member #

When you guys goin? We're doin a 10 dayer also at the end of March. Where you located?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Herkjerk

Rank 0
Launch Member

Traveler I

Member #

Oh gotcha, yeah you guys are leaving a week before us.

Sent with tin cans and paper footballs!

Herkjerk

Rank 0
Launch Member

Traveler I

Member #

Just south of seven sisters

Sent with tin cans and paper footballs!

po3po3

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Garden Grove, CA
Member #

I'm new to overlanding and baja seems so fun but I'm afraid of going into Mexico. How dangerous is it and what are the risks? Thanks

Dozer38

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor I

Laguna Niguel, CA
Member #

I have been there a lot without any problems. People are friendly and it is one of my favorite places to overland. I will be going further south then I normally go on this next trip but I don't have any fear of going there. If you are nice, smile and behave I don't see anymore risk than most places in the US.

Reactions: Jimmer

Jimmer

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor I

Hurricane, UT, USA
Member #

I’m looking to take a six day trip next year but the new travel advisory made me think twice. I would love if you both shared you experiences on your trip and any gems and suggestions or a shorter tip. Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk

HIALT2D

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Orange County, CA
First Name
Glen
Last Name
Stanley
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WA6AAB
We have a house about 25 miles south of San Felipe that we've been going to for almost 15 years now & we've never had any problems. You just have to remember that you are in a foreign country & use a little common sense. When we first started going down, the paved road ended a couple miles north of our place. Now, it's paved almost all the way to HWY 1. I think they have about 15 more miles to go & it's expected to be done this summer. Once you get past Puerticitos (about 50 miles south of San Felipe) the road is in excellent condition the rest of the way. We haven't seen him the last couple trips, but there is a Federal Policeman (dark blue police car) who sits just north of the military check point & uses radar to write speeding tickets. Seems like we see him more on holiday weekends. Also, at around KM 35, the local police sometimes monitor the traffic speed out in front of the poblado, especially when the kids are out & about after school. There is a small grocery store and a couple restaurants in the poblado right off the hwy. if you get hungry.

Larry, there really isn't much to see until you get to Puerticitos unless you want to take the tour of the giant cactus at Valle De Gigante. There is a $10 charge to get in and you can drive the loop through the valley if you have a 4X4. If you've never seen them, they are quite impressive. We were there in January & rode our MTN bikes around the loop, which was a blast. However, we noticed that some of the biggest cactus (maybe 40' tall) were no longer there.

Just before you get to Puerticitos, at about KM 72, on the right side of the road if you are going south is a place called "Cowpatty". They only serve hot dogs & beer, and occasionally they have chili. If they are open, which is hit & miss, it's a fun little stop. The last time we were there a local woman rode into the bar on a horse to get a beer.........
Cow Patty.jpg

Unfortunately, there isn't much to see anymore in Puerticitos. Over the years there have been some problems between property owners and I believe it has hurt the town overall. The restaurant is no longer open, the gas station is gone, and you have to pay to get into the hot springs. I would bypass it altogether (stay to the left where the road splits). A few kilometers past Puerticitos you will see a couple of small restaurants on the left. If they are open, the food is excellent & the view of the Sea of Cortez is pretty nice.

As you drive south, you will see lots of places to explore/camp on the beach. It can be a little tricky to find the entrance from the highway, but they are there. It gets real pretty when you get to the islands right off the beach. About 40 minutes south of Puerticitos you will come to Gonzaga Bay. It's definitely worth driving out to the bay and looking around, as you might spot the whale sharks who winter in the bay. On the north side of the bay is Papa Fernandez & on the south side is Alfonsina's. Alfonsina's serves decent food and Ok margaritas and it's right on the bay with outdoor seating. There is another military checkpoint just before you get to Gonzaga. There is a nice big market and a couple of restaurants on the right side of the highway. On the left is a gas station & the entrance to Alfonsina's. If it's open, I would recommend gassing up as it can get a bit spotty from there.

Not too far past Gonzaga Bay the road turns inland and you loose the ocean views. About 20 or so miles from Gonzaga Bay you will come to the famous "Coco's Corner", a popular hang out with the offroad & dirt bike crowd.
cocos-corner-1245.jpg

That's about as far as I can take you..............

We are going down to our place this Thursday for 5 days. I'll try to report back if there is anything significant to let you know about. You can also check the Discover Baja web-site for up-to-date info. & road conditions.

Reactions: Road and Jimmer

Dozer38

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor I

Laguna Niguel, CA
Member #

Wow, thank you. That is a lot of great info! I have been to a couple of those places last time I was down there camping in Gonzaga Bay. I am putting the new places on my list for sure. Definitely hitting Cowpatty and Coco's. Thank you.

1Louder

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member II

AZ
First Name
Chris
Last Name
K
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K1LDR
Anybody know of any secret camping spots on the beach near San Felipe?
Don’t know any secret spots. Pete’s Camp was clean and food was good at the restaurant. We stayed there the first night.

Punta Finale South of Gonzaga Bay is nice but it is not a secret. Expect others to be there.

I personally liked the Bay of LA area. Stayed at Archelon.

As for safety. Never had any issues. Your mileage may vary. There are crooked people everywhere on this earth. Being polite, humble, and a few ounces of common sense go a long way.

If you want to camp inland the section of the Baja 1000 course near Cocos Corner has some cool spots. The GPX tracks are available online.

Things just aren’t that remote anymore in northern Baja.

DezertRat

Rank III

Enthusiast III

Yuma AZ
I used to camp here alot years back

http://vivabaja.com/nm/

I went back last november and the restrooms were run down but everything else seemed like years never passed. Theres no vendors in the beach. You can drive the beach for mile and its relatively lonely.

Bijan

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

California
Member #

Wo
We have a house about 25 miles south of San Felipe that we've been going to for almost 15 years now & we've never had any problems. You just have to remember that you are in a foreign country & use a little common sense. When we first started going down, the paved road ended a couple miles north of our place. Now, it's paved almost all the way to HWY 1. I think they have about 15 more miles to go & it's expected to be done this summer. Once you get past Puerticitos (about 50 miles south of San Felipe) the road is in excellent condition the rest of the way. We haven't seen him the last couple trips, but there is a Federal Policeman (dark blue police car) who sits just north of the military check point & uses radar to write speeding tickets. Seems like we see him more on holiday weekends. Also, at around KM 35, the local police sometimes monitor the traffic speed out in front of the poblado, especially when the kids are out & about after school. There is a small grocery store and a couple restaurants in the poblado right off the hwy. if you get hungry.

Larry, there really isn't much to see until you get to Puerticitos unless you want to take the tour of the giant cactus at Valle De Gigante. There is a $10 charge to get in and you can drive the loop through the valley if you have a 4X4. If you've never seen them, they are quite impressive. We were there in January & rode our MTN bikes around the loop, which was a blast. However, we noticed that some of the biggest cactus (maybe 40' tall) were no longer there.

Just before you get to Puerticitos, at about KM 72, on the right side of the road if you are going south is a place called "Cowpatty". They only serve hot dogs & beer, and occasionally they have chili. If they are open, which is hit & miss, it's a fun little stop. The last time we were there a local woman rode into the bar on a horse to get a beer.........
View attachment 49974

Unfortunately, there isn't much to see anymore in Puerticitos. Over the years there have been some problems between property owners and I believe it has hurt the town overall. The restaurant is no longer open, the gas station is gone, and you have to pay to get into the hot springs. I would bypass it altogether (stay to the left where the road splits). A few kilometers past Puerticitos you will see a couple of small restaurants on the left. If they are open, the food is excellent & the view of the Sea of Cortez is pretty nice.

As you drive south, you will see lots of places to explore/camp on the beach. It can be a little tricky to find the entrance from the highway, but they are there. It gets real pretty when you get to the islands right off the beach. About 40 minutes south of Puerticitos you will come to Gonzaga Bay. It's definitely worth driving out to the bay and looking around, as you might spot the whale sharks who winter in the bay. On the north side of the bay is Papa Fernandez & on the south side is Alfonsina's. Alfonsina's serves decent food and Ok margaritas and it's right on the bay with outdoor seating. There is another military checkpoint just before you get to Gonzaga. There is a nice big market and a couple of restaurants on the right side of the highway. On the left is a gas station & the entrance to Alfonsina's. If it's open, I would recommend gassing up as it can get a bit spotty from there.

Not too far past Gonzaga Bay the road turns inland and you loose the ocean views. About 20 or so miles from Gonzaga Bay you will come to the famous "Coco's Corner", a popular hang out with the offroad & dirt bike crowd.
View attachment 49976

That's about as far as I can take you..............

We are going down to our place this Thursday for 5 days. I'll try to report back if there is anything significant to let you know about. You can also check the Discover Baja web-site for up-to-date info. & road conditions.
Wow! The other day I was across the street from your rig and was staring at it (friends live literally directly across the street). What a surprise to find it on here! Small world!

SpikeMD

Rank V

Enthusiast III

Granite Bay, CA
First Name
Ted
Last Name
Speicher
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WJ6SPK
The travel advisory is ridiculous. The good people of Baja are starving for tourists!

Baja safety hasn't been an issue for me either once passed the border towns. Mexicali is definitely easier than Tijuana for crossing. There is a big market in San Felipe as u come into town. There is also a reverse osmosis water place on the left coming into town. 5 gallons was less than $1 if I remember and it is clean.

If u pass into Baja Sur they say you need a travel visa that you get at the border. I tried to get it the first time into Baja and of course the 'computer was broke'. Typical Mexico.

Travel with copies of your license, car registration, title and note from bank if you don't own it. Don't forget Mexican car insurance!

Get gas whenever you see it as the next station might be dry. Gas is same price everywhere as its controlled by government.

Bring an inflatable kayak to get on the water.

Being a sense of adventure and a smile and enjoy!

My last trip I took 2 kids with me under 10 years old.

I am hoping to make a quick trip down next month.

Reactions: Road

HIALT2D

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Orange County, CA
First Name
Glen
Last Name
Stanley
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WA6AAB
Wo

Wow! The other day I was across the street from your rig and was staring at it (friends live literally directly across the street). What a surprise to find it on here! Small world!
I guess........... What are the chances of that? Thanks for keeping an eye on it while I was gone :tonguewink:

HIALT2D

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Orange County, CA
First Name
Glen
Last Name
Stanley
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WA6AAB
We just got back late last night. Not too much to report, but here's a couple things:

There were 2 road crews out patching pot-holes on Friday; one just south of town (past the marina), and one at about KM 32 (near the poblado). They don't seem to be patching all of them and the crew near town had a couple of guys ahead of them spray painting a red circle around what looked like the deeper holes. Driving home yesterday we did not see the crews and there were still a handful that were circled in red, but not filled. So, avoid the ones you can and especially the ones circled in red but not yet filled.

We also noticed that "Oh Shit Dip" at about KM 16.5 has gotten much worse on the southbound side, probably from the big rigs that used this road during the trucker strike this last summer when HWY 1 was blocked for several weeks. If you hit it too fast it can really throw your car around, so when you see this:
OhShitDip.JPG
Definitely take it slow.............

We also had some friends who ran down to Alfonsina's in Gonzaga Bay for lunch on Saturday. They said the portions were half the size and the prices were double compared to when they went last month. They talked to a number of locals who recommended going to the taco stand across the highway by the grocery store instead.

And lastly, there has been an ongoing attempt to enforce the fishing regulations in the upper Sea of Cortez the last couple of years and unfortunately it has become quite a mess. On this and previous trips, we have seen an increase in surprise check-points where the military and the police appear to be checking all vehicles towing boats. On our trip in January, we saw a group of what looked like Americans heading home from a fishing trip that were ordered into the check-point. It looked like the Federallies were pulling fish out of their ice chests and questioning them about their catch. I have no problem with putting an end to the poaching and I'm not saying that these guys were poaching, but I am concerned about the various interpretations of what the laws/regulations actually are. At least for now, I personally will not transport any fish home with me.

I hope you guys have a great/safe trip and find that "secret" camping spot you're looking for.

Reactions: Road