Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
First Name
John
Last Name
McLaughlin
Member #

So I have had this truck for almost 5 years and I actually do really love it. I have been concerned about the 5.3 and the DOD or AFM or what ever you want to call the voodoo that is supposed to improve my mileage. I went last week and tried to get my hands on a 2015 power wagon, but that didnt work out as someone beat me to it, probably for the better as its really way more truck than my family needs.
So here is what I got
2009 GMC Sierra 4x4 crew cab 5.3 6 spd
230,000 km on the clock
I have 1 size bigger duratracs on it
I built a leveling spacer for the front
setina push bar
Trailfx rear bumper
a used cap

My plans for this summer are to build a rack on top for my canoe
install either a hidden winch mount or build a winch bumper
possible more lift, but I dont really want to mess up the drive ability of the truck
i really wanted 35's but lets be honest the amount of lift to fit them is crazy so i think 33's is smarter
its purpose is going to be
A) daily driver
B) back roads explorer
C) possibly pull a Rpod camper
I only have one pic available right now so I will work on getting more up
this is of the most recent mod LOL
27867815_10156192599831977_3264163737654697206_n.jpg

Daryl 32

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Corona, Ca
Member #

We currently run 33s on our F250 with a 6" lift, they work fine for us. Also it is a DD so fuel usage is also an issue.

May I suggest that when you build your rack you design it with mounting awnings to it in mind? My rack design was based on mounting awning first and for most then hauling stuff. We have two awnings now and love the added covered camping space outside the shell.

Kitchen area is not set up yet on the PS in this shot. PS awning is a TJM 2.5 meter and the driver side is an AluCab 270 Shadow with the wall kit added. We did not use the PS return wall this trip. We had our toilet setup in the front of the DS walled in area.

Shadow 1.jpg

Shadow 2.jpg

Reactions: Mekcanix

Daryl 32

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Corona, Ca
Member #

Thanks it is still a work in progress, not sure it will ever be totally done - always changing or adding something. LOL

We sleep in the shell and live under the awnings when it is not too windy.

Bouncer

Rank IV

Advocate II

Wagoner County, Oklahoma
First Name
Buddy
Last Name
NLN
Service Branch
Resigned EMT-B
Mine (actually my wifes, she was HOT in this thing!) was an 05 1500 HD Z71 Quad cab with 6.0. man it was big and loud and fast. in 4 low I could pull down a darn house I swear. Had the front end buried to the running boards once, took 2 tow trucks an hour to get it out. I bought it as you see it, so I don't know what or how big the lift was, but those are 35s that were on it, and they felt small.

IMAG1719.jpg IMAG1721.jpg IMAG1722.jpg IMAG1723.jpg

Reactions: Mekcanix

Mekcanix

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

First Name
John
Last Name
McLaughlin
Member #

Ok I am looking for some advice from those in the know. My plan is to take this beasty pulling a camper to Baja.
So I am contimplating lifting it a bit more for better clearance of the 33's
i am looking at options from rough country
3.5 with upper A arms
4.75 is a combo kit with 3.5 upper arm kit and a 1.25 inch body lift
or a 5 inch ket which is diff drop and new knuckles
I was originally going to go with the 3.5

So I am trying to do this on a budget, am I barking up the wrong tree what would you folks suggest?

JackP

Rank II

Advocate II

Ok I am looking for some advice from those in the know. My plan is to take this beasty pulling a camper to Baja.
So I am contimplating lifting it a bit more for better clearance of the 33's
i am looking at options from rough country
3.5 with upper A arms
4.75 is a combo kit with 3.5 upper arm kit and a 1.25 inch body lift
or a 5 inch ket which is diff drop and new knuckles
I was originally going to go with the 3.5

So I am trying to do this on a budget, am I barking up the wrong tree what would you folks suggest?
I have a 13 silverado, im not sure what the difference in the wheel well size is but I have the square style wheel wells that have absolutley no space in them... anyways I run 33's on my truck and they only rub a little backing up at full lock. I trimmed the the wheel well liner a little and it fixed the issue. So in my personal opinion the lift isn't going to give you much if any ground clearance on its own so if you are looking for cheap, slap some 33's on, trim it up, and rock n' roll!

Sent from my SM-G930V using OB Talk mobile app

Mekcanix

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

First Name
John
Last Name
McLaughlin
Member #

So I finally have something to add

Amazon was nice to me and I picked up a spectre intake. I like it so far

Also got a No Bo camper to pull behind the Sierra
Can’t wait to use it

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk

Reactions: Winterpeg

Mekcanix

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

First Name
John
Last Name
McLaughlin
Member #

SO not really any pic to show but will give a update

The camper was a excellent move as its been a blast, we are sad to have put it away already
I have done some work on the truck but most of it not to my plan I laid out
first got a rack for canoe, not perfect but it works I took the rhino rack cross bars off the nobo picked up the roof rails from a bronco II and boom the sit on the cap
Next I upgraded the info buy installing the DIC switch panel and boy was there a lot of info to be had
installed add a leafs in the rear to help with the squat from the camper
I also made a simple rod tied to the side rail of the truck and mounted the spare in the back of the truck instead of underneath
installed audio controls in the steering wheel, that was probably a luxury i really didn't need
then came mechanical gremlins which were solved with a new MAF install
then a new brake master cylinder
I did put in the dual battery set up but never got around to the winch or the power out to the cap
I did some cosmetic stuff by painting the wheels and removing the body moldings
oh yeah I put in TPMS sensors

I will try to get some pics soon

Mekcanix

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

First Name
John
Last Name
McLaughlin
Member #

Minor update:
I will have pics later seem to have deleted the in progress pics on phone oppsy

SO
what I have done is taken care of a cosmetic eye sore to me
the tucked wheels, yes I know this does nothing for performance or overlanding ability but to be honest the look of those wheels tucked in there because of the flares drove me nuts and was making me dislike the truck
so I was hunting for wheels to match what I want on a budget and I was having no luck
and I came across a killer deal on (GASP!) spacers, yes I know its not the best plan a but damn they made me happy and I keep the truck the way I want so I did whats called a Norcal cut to give a bit of room for the swing during turning and boom I have my truck with wheels looking proper now
I also am working on modding up the head lights for greater output and distance so at this point LED's are out as they are very bright but dont seem to throw light very far down the road, this is what I have experienced so far with installing them on a friends F150
I have also installed a swing out bed tool box which I love
oh yeah I painted the front bumper black in prep for the winch going in behind the stock bumper

the other issue is RUST!!

I have a large rust hole on the passenger bed side wheel well where all gm trucks rot
and discovered last night my rockers are about tissue paper thickness now
so I am back to the keep it or trade it in next year

Nothing has really changed I do love this truck and for the past 6 years it has been dead nuts reliable
and I am in the 260K kms range for mileage
So Do I continue with the Shenanigans as someone (Drie) would say on expo
or do I cut my losses and slow down on the mods and if finances allow trade her in next summer?

Oh yeah any input on lighting for distance

Mekcanix

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

First Name
John
Last Name
McLaughlin
Member #

Good morning

So minor update
installed a 3" inch front spacer on top of the strut and removed my 1.5 spacer from the bottom of the strut. this was done for 2 reasons one I wanted it a tad taller and 2 the lower spacer kept on seizing the lower strut bolts and it was a issue getting it apart without breaking them
installed a 2" block out back to even it all out
removed the factory fogs and installed some LED fogs with side lighting, these need some more thought as I feel they are throwing light every whereIMG_0457.jpg

Mekcanix

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

First Name
John
Last Name
McLaughlin
Member #

Another mild update.
designing and building a hidden winch mount with material I had on hand (Scrap)
I am getting new tires tonight and am booked up the next few weekends so I am not sure if I will get installed before the weather turns. but I figured I would show progress

And sorry for the mess the garage is a disaster its been a super busy summer

58967156881__9DFF4E3E-D837-4D94-BD89-7587B60F4A39.jpg58967405200__3A0C5353-8AB0-4602-A93A-86996ABEDE3D.jpg58994153306__3274CB77-5775-427A-9E87-3A61B5CAEBF0.jpg58994317066__8E6AB577-508A-4F46-942B-2CCC7AE99CE7.jpg59019526328__65FB81CD-3727-451A-9C0D-87F1B3F60D91.jpg59027660342__F1B7407C-8654-4DB2-BC14-FDC536A35857.jpg