07 FJ Cruiser Front Shock help

• HTML tutorial

MTNGOATFJ7986

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Rocklin
Member #

Alright so I've got a small (3'') spacer lift on the front end of my FJ, and I had the dealership install new OEM shocks on the front end when I bought it, which is all well and good, but I've been shopping around for a new set of shocks before the new year in anticipation of some more trips where I would want something thats more up to the task.

I know a spacer lift isn't ideal, but until I can afford a really nice ( real ) lift of the same size, I just want a little extra up front. I've been looking at what Bilstein has to offer, but any suggestions or input would be great.

JoeyLuck

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Fallbrook, CA, USA
First Name
Joey
Last Name
Luck
Member #

Alright so I've got a small (3'') spacer lift on the front end of my FJ, and I had the dealership install new OEM shocks on the front end when I bought it, which is all well and good, but I've been shopping around for a new set of shocks before the new year in anticipation of some more trips where I would want something thats more up to the task.

I know a spacer lift isn't ideal, but until I can afford a really nice ( real ) lift of the same size, I just want a little extra up front. I've been looking at what Bilstein has to offer, but any suggestions or input would be great.
Are you looking for just shocks only? Stock springs? I've had Pro-Comp and Fox 2.0 on my FJ and really liked them both. New springs are pretty reasonable too and make a big difference.

MTNGOATFJ7986

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Rocklin
Member #

Yeah sorry I should have clarified! I just want to find something thats still a decent ride on the pavement, that allows for a little more work on the trail over the stock setup. The Fox 2.0 come complete coil-over setup too don't they?

Reactions: JoeyLuck

JoeyLuck

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Fallbrook, CA, USA
First Name
Joey
Last Name
Luck
Member #

Yeah sorry I should have clarified! I just want to find something thats still a decent ride on the pavement, that allows for a little more work on the trail over the stock setup. The Fox 2.0 come complete coil-over setup too don't they?
Yeah, that's actually the set-up I'm running, with OME heavy duty springs in the rear. I love the set up and it didn't break the bank. The Fox Performance shocks themselves are pretty reasonable ( $129.00) and a good immediate upgrade on the street and dirt. The springs made the biggest "Noticeable" difference to me and the SPC UCA were a good upgrade as well. The pro-comp were good shocks as well, but I did blow one of the fronts out. My buddy is running the Bilstein 5100 on his and really likes them. They are pretty reasonable as well. Black Friday is coming, will be a good time to pick some up!

Reactions: MTNGOATFJ7986

JoeyLuck

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Fallbrook, CA, USA
First Name
Joey
Last Name
Luck
Member #

I've got OME shocks and 3" lift on mine, love the ride and performance of these shocks. I'm sure just stock heights would be great as well. 6 years of abuse and they are still holding up well.
I originally wanted to run the OME shocks as well, but there was a 6 month back log on them, so just went with rear springs, but love those. With a RTT and 20 gallons on the roof rack, I've never bottomed the rear end out yet. Are you running stock UCA & LCA? I upgraded my UCA. but I'm debating the LCA. The lowers seem a lot better than the uppers.

CDN Offroader

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

St. Albert, AB, Canada
First Name
Adam
Last Name
Houghtaling
Member #

I originally wanted to run the OME shocks as well, but there was a 6 month back log on them, so just went with rear springs, but love those. With a RTT and 20 gallons on the roof rack, I've never bottomed the rear end out yet. Are you running stock UCA & LCA? I upgraded my UCA. but I'm debating the LCA. The lowers seem a lot better than the uppers.
My rear control arms are stock, I only did the front UCAs for better alignment. I am looking at doing the rear LCAs as I did get a very slight bow in one after going through some hairy rocks in South Dakota this summer.

Reactions: JoeyLuck