New River, AZ
First Name
Jestin
Last Name
Hashop
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7DJL
As many Grand Cherokee owners know, the spare tire carrier under the rear floor is a big waste of space. Until recently, I used it for tool storage. Got tired of unpacking the whole rig just to get access, so it was time for another solution. Spent the weekend installing a Bulldog 150psi air compressor, @firestonetires air tank, True Smart Isolator, secondary battery and @air_lift_performance system (seen on @overlandbound YouTube ). Compressor is controlled via a switch next to the air chuck and an inline 90-120psi switch keeps pressure under control. The air bags are inflated using 2 valves located next to the compressor switch. A small notch was then cut into the access panel so I would not need to remove the panel inorder to use the compressor or adjust pressure in the air bags.

Got a great deal on the compressor from @desertratoffroad at the @overlandexpo , battery from local auto parts store, all other parts purchased @amazon
Battery is secure, but I'm looking for a better solution. Suggestions?

Also looking for suggestions on what to use the rest of the space for, I used a little over 1/2 the space... I'm thinking spare parts storage.. #wj #wjjeep #grandcherokee #wasteofspace #diy #overlandbound #onboardair #dualbatteryIMG_20180603_105806_752.jpg

Sent from my Pixel XL using OB Talk mobile app

@AstroOverland

Rank III
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

New River, AZ
First Name
Jestin
Last Name
Hashop
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7DJL
How did you secure the compressor?

With the gas tank below, I was too scared to drill down into the tire well.
Everything was secured with rivet nuts. I would recommend dropping the tank a few inches before drilling through the tub. In some places the tank is pressed right up to it.

Sent from my Pixel XL using OB Talk mobile app

Reactions: MoreGone