04 Disco II "Mel"

• HTML tutorial

MS_Disco

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate II

Madison, MS
Member #

Interesting that the run cooler in town. I'm the exact opposite. Once I get some speed, temps drop huge. Could indicate I need a better fan eh? Even on hills it's usually always below 200.
What fan/clutch are you running?

You might have sold me on the swap w/ no water loss. Ugh swapping the stock stat is such a pain in the ass!
Running a 99 model Chevy astro fan and clutch, made a huge difference too, if you look at my pics, I've also cut two vents in the hood, dropped me a few more degrees when I'm offroad.

OB#3799

MS_Disco

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate II

Madison, MS
Member #

The thing I like best about the Chevy 180 is how it sits at 183 on the trail. I can let it idle all day and it never gets above 190. I drilled one 3/32" hole to let air out.

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk
Totally agree, I crawled around mountains last month with temps over 90 degrees and engine never got over 190.

OB#3799

Hafaday

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Richmond, VA.
Member #

Talking Temps...

if I remember correctly, the stock t-stat in the D2 was a 204 degree (fully open). Back when I was into 'em. supposedly a t-stat out of aTD5 was a direct replacement (don't hold me to it). that said, I ended up getting the Motorad 439-180. that alone dropped temps all the way around. the down side was winter time.. a littler longer to warm up. Was also running the Hayden 2991 fan clutch. had to walla the holes in the fan housing a smidgen to bolt it on. down side was, you could hear the fan till it warmed up (winter time and a hundred yards). That combo worked great..

I see Hayden now has a complete deal. Part # 6352 (fan and clutch).

MS_Disco

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate II

Madison, MS
Member #

Thanks. I'll get on that. Is that generally considered the best option? Part # or link? Are you on discoweb or landroverforums?
Followed this YouTube video Made a few mods to it to suite my wants.
Here's my parts list...
Gates #22639 Radiator Hose (trimmed, used as lwr rad hose )
• Meziere #WN0071 Inline Thermostat Housing
• Drive-Rite #C71372 Radiator Hose (trimmed, used from rear of thermo housing to upper engine block)
• “traditional” Chevy V8 180F Degree Thermostat (1/8" trickle hole drilled into base)
The fwd upper hose is the O.E. LR hose simply trimmed.

MS_Disco

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate II

Madison, MS
Member #

Thanks for the info. I want to try the hd fan and clutch first. What's the make/part number?
I found it on eBay, was just wanting the fan, but realized the clutch also fit, no trimming at all, 99chevy astro van or blazer setup, pretty much any 90s model will fit.

OB#3799

Mark D

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder II

Whittier CA
First Name
Mark
Last Name
Dickens
Member #

I feel really bad because MS_Disco started this build thread and it has turned into Disco owners thread. Please excuse me MS_disco but I need to lean on my fellow Discovery owners experience one more time. I have the 18" wheels. What is the lowest tire pressure you run? Land Rover seems to put pretty healthy beads on their wheels. I run 20psi in rocky conditions, 18psi in sandy conditions and 15psi in pure sand.

jammy

Rank 0

Traveler I

I feel really bad because MS_Disco started this build thread and it has turned into Disco owners thread. Please excuse me MS_disco but I need to lean on my fellow Discovery owners experience one more time. I have the 18" wheels. What is the lowest tire pressure you run? Land Rover seems to put pretty healthy beads on their wheels. I run 20psi in rocky conditions, 18psi in sandy conditions and 15psi in pure sand.
I have 16 inch steel rims on my d2 and have had to go down as low as 10psi.

MS_Disco

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate II

Madison, MS
Member #

No worries!!! It's all about sharing info...I have 18x32 ATs right now, been in the mountains playing in some pretty narly rocks all weekend, I drop them to about 20(unloaded) 25(loaded) and it's done me pretty well, I don't want to go any lower, scared I'll crack my aluminum wheels, can't wait till my 16 steelies get here.

OB#3799

Reactions: Hafaday and Jimmy P

MS_Disco

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate II

Madison, MS
Member #

Did something happen on the trip, or is this a lingering issue you've decided to tackle now?

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
Lingering, it's been slowly drinking water for a while. I'm preparing for the typical cracked block Rover syndrome, if it's just head gaskets, I'll be ecstatic.

OB#3799

Mark D

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder II

Whittier CA
First Name
Mark
Last Name
Dickens
Member #

MS_Disco, your Discovery is really coming along nicely. I am starting to get jealous.

I have another Discovery related question: the stock “cabin air filter” for the Discovery is kind of a joke. It keeps bugs and rocks out but when you are traveling down a dirt road behind a bunch of your best Overland Bound friends the dust is choking. Last trip I placed a piece of open cell foam (not really filter foam) in that rectangular air intake opening on the passenger side. It didn’t help and I was thinking about oiling it or adapting a paper filter to fit that opening. I have looked on the usual Rover forums and have not seen anything that would do the trick. Anyone else seen a good idea to solve this problem? BYW, I am going to post this question on the Rover Registry thread here on OB. Thanks!

MS_Disco

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate II

Madison, MS
Member #

MS_Disco, your Discovery is really coming along nicely. I am starting to get jealous.

I have another Discovery related question: the stock “cabin air filter” for the Discovery is kind of a joke. It keeps bugs and rocks out but when you are traveling down a dirt road behind a bunch of your best Overland Bound friends the dust is choking. Last trip I placed a piece of open cell foam (not really filter foam) in that rectangular air intake opening on the passenger side. It didn’t help and I was thinking about oiling it or adapting a paper filter to fit that opening. I have looked on the usual Rover forums and have not seen anything that would do the trick. Anyone else seen a good idea to solve this problem? BYW, I am going to post this question on the Rover Registry thread here on OB. Thanks!

Thanks! I'm about to pull the heads to diagnose a water leak, so I'll be down awhile. As for your filter, if you can figure out how to make a paper filter to fit, that would be the way to go, that foam won't keep dust out, bad design.

OB#3799