04 Disco II "Mel"

• HTML tutorial

Jeff Blake

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Love a good hang!

Do you have any belly / gearbox protection? I ordered TF868 (Terrafirma) but when I got it (from the UK), the instructions said TD5 only :( Shame. I can't find anything else on the market. Terrafirma apparently made TF868V8, but appears to no longer be made.

MS_Disco

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate II

Madison, MS
Member #

Love a good hang!

Do you have any belly / gearbox protection? I ordered TF868 (Terrafirma) but when I got it (from the UK), the instructions said TD5 only :( Shame. I can't find anything else on the market. Terrafirma apparently made TF868V8, but appears to no longer be made.
No undercarriage yet, waiting on my 16" TF wheels to come in so I can get some proper 10ply shoes on it. Have you looked at Lucky8? I know they have diff guards and skid plates for discos.

OB#3799

Last edited:

Jeff Blake

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Good call. Dakar black or beadlock? I really wanted the silver dakar's, but they weren't made anymore. I got the beadlocks (but I don't beadlock) and they're great. With shipping, about $900 for a set of 5 from the UK. Don't even get me started on what they would have cost here in the US... (hint: $350 per wheel)

Lucky8 doesn't have gearbox skids. I put a dent in my rear crossmember the other weekend on some rocks. Shocked that there's nothing aftermarket out there for me to buy (what do people do??)

MS_Disco

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate II

Madison, MS
Member #

Good call. Dakar black or beadlock? I really wanted the silver dakar's, but they weren't made anymore. I got the beadlocks (but I don't beadlock) and they're great. With shipping, about $900 for a set of 5 from the UK. Don't even get me started on what they would have cost here in the US... (hint: $350 per wheel)

Lucky8 doesn't have gearbox skids. I put a dent in my rear crossmember the other weekend on some rocks. Shocked that there's nothing aftermarket out there for me to buy (what do people do??)
Going plain ole black steel, as far as undercarriage, I'll just make my own, the bottom of a Rover is fairly easy to cover with some 1/4 in steel. I've even used old heavy guage road signs for skid plates on some of my jeeps.

OB#3799

Reactions: Hafaday

MS_Disco

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate II

Madison, MS
Member #

Nice looking d2. Any plans for the future? Here's a couple of photos of my d2

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk
Thanks man! Steel wheels and mudders on the way, adding comms next month, building a roof platform is high priority this winter... neverending for sure.

OB#3799

Reactions: jammy

Hafaday

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Richmond, VA.
Member #

Never too late! They are a royal PITA, but I wouldn't have anything else...

OB#3799
Agree with the PITA.

Not to hijack.. I parked mine a few years ago to fix a small antifreeze leak at the rear drivers head.. life and everything else got in the way, and she fell to the wayside.

Mods were: 2 inch RTE springs with OME shocks. QT heavy duty track bar and drag link. Stainless extended brake lines. The 04 shifter and linkage for the CDL. Think a few other things.

Oh yeah.... 5 black steelies with center caps setting in the shed (was running 2 sets of tires and wheels).

Pic at the start of build.

MAR 09.

Currently in a 14 JKU.

Reactions: Jimmy P and jammy

jammy

Rank 0

Traveler I

Clean ride! Understand completely, Mine has just started "drinking" water, soooooo, I'll be doing the heads soon, just hope it lasts till winter, we are just now getting into good camping weather down here.
Is it leaking from the rear left hand side? Because that's exactly where my
Old disco was leaking from also.

Hafaday

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Richmond, VA.
Member #

Clean ride! Understand completely, Mine has just started "drinking" water, soooooo, I'll be doing the heads soon, just hope it lasts till winter, we are just now getting into good camping weather down here.
Get on it as soon as you can. The bad part on my side is, I had all the parts at the time of the leak to fix it (still do). Just never got around to it.. she might be a spring project. Not having a garage sucks.

MS_Disco

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate II

Madison, MS
Member #

Is it leaking from the rear left hand side? Because that's exactly where my
Old disco was leaking from also.

It's worse, no visible leaks and no water in the oil, so best guess is it's getting cooked in the cylinder. I'm hoping someone will make a conversion for that new Cummins deisel that's just going into production.

OB#3799

jammy

Rank 0

Traveler I

It's worse, no visible leaks and no water in the oil, so best guess is it's getting cooked in the cylinder. I'm hoping someone will make a conversion for that new Cummins deisel that's just going into production.

OB#3799
I found the my disco was leaking from that back left side and it dripped onto the exhaust so for ages I had no idea what was happening because I couldn't find any evidence of a leak since it all evaporated. Cummins would be cool but.

Hafaday

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Richmond, VA.
Member #

OB#3799
Rite rite.. Hope it's not going around the cylinder liner. but you said not in the oil, so that's good.

Mine is a 01, Epson Green, SD. specifically wanted an SD. Didn't want the extra stuff, and the leaky sun roofs.

MS_Disco

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate II

Madison, MS
Member #

I found the my disco was leaking from that back left side and it dripped onto the exhaust so for ages I had no idea what was happening because I couldn't find any evidence of a leak since it all evaporated. Cummins would be cool but.

Hmm, didn't think about that, I'm going to scope the cylinders next weekend, if they all look ok, that could be the problem.

OB#3799

Hafaday

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Richmond, VA.
Member #

Hmm, didn't think about that, I'm going to scope the cylinders next weekend, if they all look ok, that could be the problem.

OB#3799
Also look at the lower intake at the rear of the head. The bolts like to loosen ( from intake to head). The antifreeze will collect back there then run down the back of the block.

The best way to see back there is a mirror and a light. But can throw a thick blanket on top of the motor, lay on it front to back, then wedge you head to the hood and firewall and look down. If you have ever replaced the plug wires.. you know what I'm talking about. Which in itself was a dumb place to put the coil pack.

MS_Disco

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate II

Madison, MS
Member #

Also look at the lower intake at the rear of the head. The bolts like to loosen ( from intake to head). The antifreeze will collect back there then run down the back of the block.

The best way to see back there is a mirror and a light. But can throw a thick blanket on top of the motor, lay on it front to back, then wedge you head to the hood and firewall and look down. If you have ever replaced the plug wires.. you know what I'm talking about. Which in itself was a dumb place to put the coil pack.
I'll give it quick check after work, thanks for the info!!

OB#3799