Vinton, Va.
First Name
Jimmy
Last Name
Poindexter
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM4PJN
We have an 03 Suburban and we need to upgrade the rear bumper. Does anyone have any suggestions for where to buy a rear bumper with a spare tire rack, that doesn't cost a house payment? I know it will be a pricey investment, but I have only found a few placed that seem to all be the same bumper. Looking for suggestions. Thanks for any help. Have a good day.

BCMoto

Rank IV

Influencer II

SF
First Name
Chris
Last Name
Agloro
Member #

whats the budget? it will help with suggestions

JDP1093

Rank III
Launch Member

Contributor III

Vinton, Va.
First Name
Jimmy
Last Name
Poindexter
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM4PJN
whats the budget? it will help with suggestions
I would like to stay under $1500 if possible. I know that may be dreaming but I may also have the possibility of making one. I'm just trying to get some input on different possibilities. The one I priced was around $2200. I know there are some different places to look, I'm just not finding them.

Chevyman29

Rank II

Enthusiast II

Alabama, USA
First Name
Jeff
Last Name
Rodgers
If making one is a option you can buy a kit for the swing out spare tire holder.
When I get done playing with the front bumper in makymy own back bumper with tire carrier. I'll post up the link for the tire carrier if that's allowed

Outrider

Rank 0

Contributor I

Birmingham, AL
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Weidenbach
After a lot of research I came to the same hitch swing conclusion as RoarinRow. Then I decided that it was too expensive, as well. For me. At the moment. my tire is probably going on the roof rack, if I can lift it.

Reactions: RoarinRow

iamsuperdan

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Stony Plain, AB
First Name
Dan
Last Name
Clark
Member #

For a temp solution, try this.

I bought a Curt spare tire mount and then found a folding hitch adapter from Amazon.

After some cutting and modifying, I now have a flip down tire mount.

Not perfect, but it's better than hanging it underneath, and more convenient than putting it on the roof.

All told, under $200CDN.

Attachments

iamsuperdan

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Stony Plain, AB
First Name
Dan
Last Name
Clark
Member #

What is wrong with the stock place?
I can't speak for the OP, but for myself, I find the stock location kind of annoying and inconvenient. Plus the hanging mechanism is fond of seizing up. Had issues with a previous Chev pickup of the same generation as my current Tahoe, ended up leaving me somewhat stranded. Never again!