03 Suburban 2500

• HTML tutorial

Koopdaddy

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Loveland, CO, USA
Member #

Well it’s not nearly as advanced as some of you all but it works for our family of 6 so far.

As usual a work in progress but here’s what we got.

Yakima skybox (largest one). Keep all the dry goods like sleeping bags, clothing etc in here.

I just added the SkinnyWarrior today and plan to hold propane, firewood, shovel/axe, and probably some water up there.

Pop up tent mounted behind both rooftop carriers.

Eventually hope to add an awning but probably have to wait for funds during this Covid life.

In the trunk we have cooler and food, grill. I plan to build some slide out shelves to get that more organized.

The tent, tools and other camping gear goes on a hitch rack with some storage bins.

As mentioned workin progress and we are t doing extreme off-roading. It we do like to get out there and explore. Having fun with the family doing it

Attachments

Shakes355

Rank V
Launch Member

Traveler III

Bellingham, WA, USA
First Name
Chris
Last Name
Adams
Member #

I'm personally a huge fan of those 2500's. Not given enough credit for being damn near bulletproof. Great choice.

Koopdaddy

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Loveland, CO, USA
Member #

Well I have been thinking through my next steps for us. Due to the fact that summer camping season is on the back end of things, once school is back in session and other...so I am probably gonna hold off on more camping gear unless I find exceptional used deals on stuff.

However, I think I need to focus more on the safety and maintenance side of things. The truck needs new tires and I think the brakes could use some work. I also read through the fire extinguisher thread and need to get some safety gear prepared for our trips. We are not extreme offroaders, but we like to go dispersed camping and explore places that not every RV goes...

So for me righ tnow priority"
  1. Safety Gear
    1. Fire Extingiushers
    2. Recovery Gear - Rope, Shackles, Shovel, etc (What do you recommend for recovery rope for a 3/4 ton suburban?)
    3. Other tools and required gadgets to fix crap
    4. Lighting - solar and battery powered for campsite and also for vehicle
  2. Truck Maintenance
    1. Tires (suggestions 245/75/r16)
    2. Brakes
    3. Suspension might need some work
  3. Water - as mentioned in another thread of mine, trying to solve the "how much water is enough" and what to pack it in. Water Storage
  4. Building more efficient storage for the back of the truck
At this point I think we have maxed out the capacity of the truck and hitch rack. If we need more gear, we need a trailer.

So I turn to you all....recommendations on decent offroad tires for this type of vehicle. I currently have stock rims (16's) and honestly, prefer to not change that at this time. I know bigger is better offroad but I am not looking to boulder or anything extreme...just something sufficient to get out there with my family.

Last edited:
Reactions: Shakes355

Shakes355

Rank V
Launch Member

Traveler III

Bellingham, WA, USA
First Name
Chris
Last Name
Adams
Member #

Many of that generation came with 265/70R16 which is same diameter as stock but slightly wider (larger contact patch).

Being a 3/4 ton you'll need LT Rated tires. I'd go up a size to a LT265/75R16 due to how common they are and the good selection available. It adds about an inch or so in height (30.5" to 31.6"). You probably won't notice a difference in power or mileage since the 8.1 gets about the same running empty or towing a boat, lol.

As for tire brand and tread, start digging into the search function. Lots of debate and conversation regarding tires. Best to research and decide for yourself. Good luck

Reactions: Red Mountain

BigDogYJ

Rank II
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

California, USA
First Name
Jamison
Last Name
Donato
3/4 ton all came with 245/75R16 as far as I know. I have seen 265/75/16 as available options, but never seen one come from the factory with them.
265/75R16 is a good size. I would highly suggest that if you go taller, go wider. I have tried the tall skinny route (235/85R16) and it honestly got squirrelly. I ended up going one step further and switched to H2 wheels (17x9.5). Now have 285/70R17, handling improved ten fold and Got a little more height 32.x”.

Last edited:

boss324

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer I

Tracy California
First Name
Brian
Last Name
Castro
Member #

Nice i think the GMT800 is the best gen;) ive got an 03 2500 burb. Id go with 285/75/16 and a cognito leveling kit with a 2" lift block i can go a lotta places with this setup.

old_man

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Loveland, Colorado
First Name
Tom
Last Name
Houston
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WØNUT Extra
Well it’s not nearly as advanced as some of you all but it works for our family of 6 so far.

As usual a work in progress but here’s what we got.

Yakima skybox (largest one). Keep all the dry goods like sleeping bags, clothing etc in here.

I just added the SkinnyWarrior today and plan to hold propane, firewood, shovel/axe, and probably some water up there.

Pop up tent mounted behind both rooftop carriers.

Eventually hope to add an awning but probably have to wait for funds during this Covid life.

In the trunk we have cooler and food, grill. I plan to build some slide out shelves to get that more organized.

The tent, tools and other camping gear goes on a hitch rack with some storage bins.

As mentioned workin progress and we are t doing extreme off-roading. It we do like to get out there and explore. Having fun with the family doing it
Howdy neighbor. I am also in Loveland. I am planning a get together at my place for bbq in the near future if you are interested.