Vinton, Va.
First Name
Jimmy
Last Name
Poindexter
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM4PJN
Does anyone use an 02-03 Suburban for a rig? If so, what have you done to it? We are new to OB and have 4 kids. It is paid for and now an extra vehicle. We are planning on using it for our son to drive next year so I am not going to do get too extreme. Any info is appreciated.

AA1PR

Rank III

Enthusiast III

Vermont Mountains
First Name
Mike
Last Name
Parie
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
AA1PR
I have an 04 Yukon, I believe I have a build thread on it here

seats 7, has all the modern luxuries, you would be crazy not too

first off I wold get a lift or at least leveling keys for the front, z70 coils & spacers for the rear if its coils

but if i remember correctly I think the subs have leaf spring rears

if yours has autotrac you will love it offroad even more, with autotrac ive never been stuck or maybe I should say "yet"

Ive put mine in places where jeeps were struggling at during overland events

Reactions: JDP1093

JDP1093

Rank III
Launch Member

Contributor III

Vinton, Va.
First Name
Jimmy
Last Name
Poindexter
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM4PJN
Thanks I'm glad to hear it it does well. It has the Z71 package. I'll have to get under it to see if it has leaves or not. The only mod I've done was by accident, I put later model 17" Chevy wheels on it. I was wondering if a leveling kit would be sufficient. I was thinking if I did a suspension lift it would be 2.5" Max and that seems to be a leveling kit. What did you put on yours? Yes it has autotrac. It does work great, my wife uses it in snow.

AA1PR

Rank III

Enthusiast III

Vermont Mountains
First Name
Mike
Last Name
Parie
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
AA1PR
Thanks I'm glad to hear it it does well. It has the Z71 package. I'll have to get under it to see if it has leaves or not. The only mod I've done was by accident, I put later model 17" Chevy wheels on it. I was wondering if a leveling kit would be sufficient. I was thinking if I did a suspension lift it would be 2.5" Max and that seems to be a leveling kit. What did you put on yours? Yes it has autotrac. It does work great, my wife uses it in snow.
nice tire swap, mine came with 17s from the factory, I running 285/70/17 mud claw extremes currently

I went with 2.5" trail master leveling keys cranked to 2.5" front lift, if you use ford keys you can get 3" but the torsion bars are being maxxed out

I removed all my autoride rear suspension & went the direct coil & spacer route

you will want to do the trans & front diff breather tube extensions too so you dont suck any water into those, most times the rear axle has the factory breather extension done, it ends up high above the gas cap on the inner body

other than that & replacing the whole front end with moog parts, including cv axles, yukon gear wheel bearing

everything has been replaced except the motor, trans, transfer case, diff case & rear end

if yours doesnt have the factory skid plates I would say get some from the junk yard

will be interested in seeing what you do with this beast

Reactions: Red Mountain

boss324

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer I

Tracy California
First Name
Brian
Last Name
Castro
Member #

Assuming you have a half ton Suburban? Id do a 2" spacer lift and 285/75/16 ATs this setup will get you a lotta places. If 2500 check out my thread on my build.