01 Yukon Xl

• HTML tutorial

David S

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Los Angeles
Member #

Hey guys, so I decided a little while ago to Buy this 01 Yukon and make my version of an overland / camp/ travel vehicle. The 1st thing I've been working on is the interior layout, sleeping platform -storage .
so the rear height is 9" internal and flows to behind the seats at 17 1/4 inches leaving 31 inches of head height to the roof enough to sit up, this was kinda inspired with the idea I can hide some gear & my dogs can run around each compartment has a specific use. ( yes I use to build custom car audio ) lol .
I'll post updated photos for this build tomorrow

Attachments

David S

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Los Angeles
Member #

Nice to see another GM SUV, I've been lonely haha. What are your future plans? Is it 4wd?
Yep 4x4. Eventually I may do a lift still undecided, have added a roof rack, swing out rear tire carrier with jerry cans, a set of rough country drop steps and front bull bar with light ( will be changing out for full bumper ) at some point and yes it’s nice to see a few more GM vehicle builds not against other makes just like to see what’s out there in the full size world..
Onboard air and solar are in the works [emoji1303]

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk

Reactions: Desert Runner

Phildirt

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate II

That's pretty sweet. If I wasn't hauling kids and crap everywhere I'd do something similar. I pretty much treat my Burb like a pickup truck with a topper at this point, quit trying to keep the interior nice from the middle seats back a long time ago.

Reactions: revamp and David S

David S

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Los Angeles
Member #

That's pretty sweet. If I wasn't hauling kids and crap everywhere I'd do something similar. I pretty much treat my Burb like a pickup truck with a topper at this point, quit trying to keep the interior nice from the middle seats back a long time ago.
Ya I made a mat out of a tarp and carpet that sits over Incase of dog accidents that’s easy to hose off and air dry [emoji51] lol the flat space is 49 inches wide so I can still haul ply wood and dry wall when needed or any other home improvement accessories [emoji15]

Reactions: revamp

Dich Rixon

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor II

Salem, MA
Member #

Hey guys, so I decided a little while ago to Buy this 01 Yukon and make my version of an overland / camp/ travel vehicle. The 1st thing I've been working on is the interior layout, sleeping platform -storage .
so the rear height is 9" internal and flows to behind the seats at 17 1/4 inches leaving 31 inches of head height to the roof enough to sit up, this was kinda inspired with the idea I can hide some gear & my dogs can run around each compartment has a specific use. ( yes I use to build custom car audio ) lol .
I'll post updated photos for this build tomorrow
Nice job! I too have an 01 Yukon xl. I’ll be watching your progress!

Reactions: David S

David S

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Los Angeles
Member #

How much extra weight ?
I don’t think I added much when you think about what I removed center and 3rd row seats, seat belts and interior trim in the rear. Total weight of wood, carpet and screws maybe 250/300lbs should be close to even.. when I have a chance I’ll be weighing the seats to see what came out

Jimmy Schantz

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

I don’t think I added much when you think about what I removed center and 3rd row seats, seat belts and interior trim in the rear. Total weight of wood, carpet and screws maybe 250/300lbs should be close to even.. when I have a chance I’ll be weighing the seats to see what came out
Cool deal I have a 1999 Yukon and was thinking about making it an off-road vehicle

StuntmanMike

Rank IV

Advocate II

Newport RI
Wow, that looks terrific! Great job on that interior, it looks very well thought out.

I found this thread as I'm researching possibly getting a fullsize GM suv.

I'm on the fence right now, not sure if I want to go short or long wheelbase if I go GM, and the 1st gen Sequoia and 100 series LC are not out of the running either.

I imagine the GM's are the cheapest to buy and repair though.

David S

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Los Angeles
Member #

Wow, that looks terrific! Great job on that interior, it looks very well thought out.

I found this thread as I'm researching possibly getting a fullsize GM suv.

I'm on the fence right now, not sure if I want to go short or long wheelbase if I go GM, and the 1st gen Sequoia and 100 series LC are not out of the running either.

I imagine the GM's are the cheapest to buy and repair though.
I think cost is about the same for some repairs, I will say there are a lot more options as far as suspension lifts for the others than the GMC or Chevy. I need room to sleep inside when I want with the wife and a few of my pups, so this allowed for storage and space without filling the interior. 49 inches between the side cabinets and just over 8ft in length [emoji1303]
Can’t wait to see what you build

Reactions: StuntmanMike

StuntmanMike

Rank IV

Advocate II

Newport RI
I think cost is about the same for some repairs, I will say there are a lot more options as far as suspension lifts for the others than the GMC or Chevy. I need room to sleep inside when I want with the wife and a few of my pups, so this allowed for storage and space without filling the interior. 49 inches between the side cabinets and just over 8ft in length [emoji1303]
Can’t wait to see what you build
Thanks! I'm not 100% sure on what I want yet, I have to drive them. It will mostly be me in the vehicle, occasionally with a dog and perhaps one other person, max. I want something that cam be used as a camping vehicle and light offroading, as well as a support vehicle for my mountainbiking trips. The biking can get gear intensive, which is why I want a fullsize in the first place, and not a 4Runner.

I may PM you at some point, if I get one or look at one I'll prob have some questions. :)

David S

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Los Angeles
Member #

Thanks! I'm not 100% sure on what I want yet, I have to drive them. It will mostly be me in the vehicle, occasionally with a dog and perhaps one other person, max. I want something that cam be used as a camping vehicle and light offroading, as well as a support vehicle for my mountainbiking trips. The biking can get gear intensive, which is why I want a fullsize in the first place, and not a 4Runner.

I may PM you at some point, if I get one or look at one I'll prob have some questions. :)
No worries, hit me up

alfredregis

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

Dublin, CA, USA
First Name
Alfred
Last Name
Regis
Member #

Service Branch
US Army
that's awesome!! just picked up an 07 Denali non XL, and looking to build it up. it's tough to find a lift kit for this thing with the dang air ride suspension