Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Palmer, Alaska
First Name
Gabe
Last Name
Hurt
Member #

Did it have a locker? Those platforms are wildly popular and there are tons of resources available for modifications. Any ideas of what you’ll start with?

alaskan.lad

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Palmer, Alaska
First Name
Gabe
Last Name
Hurt
Member #

Sounds good! Looking forward to the build, make sure to keep us in the loop on here. Good luck! On a side note - t4r.org (I am not affiliated) has a ton of good resources on their forums for your rig, i've been on there quite a bit for my 95.

Graeman

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Catalina Avenue, Tucson, AZ, USA
First Name
Todd
Last Name
Hoffmaster
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7CRJ
Service Branch
Air Force
That is a great find. Very low mileage and the timing has been changed out. The PO definitely kept up with the maintenance. It should last you a very long time.
My wife has finally given me the ok to start building up my '98 4runner. So, I will be watching your build closely..

Reactions: fightngillini25

AZBubs

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

San Tan Valley, AZ
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7BHP
3rd gen fan here! nice truck. like that Savage front bumper. We document our adventures under ProvidentPathfinders on Instagram and Youtube [emoji106].

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk

Reactions: Rebel Browncoat

Paradox732

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Huntersville, NC, USA
Member #

Sweet video man! Looked like a sweet trip.

I had some upgraded lower trailing arms on my last runner and they came in handy a few times. Might be something to look at for some extra protection in the real technical stuff.

What drone were you using?

Paradox732

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Huntersville, NC, USA
Member #

No permits required for any of those. All of my camp sites were in National Forests this trip. They have free dispersed camping. I like to just pick a random forest road within the national forest and drive until I find a nice spot. These have been some of the best camping spots I’ve had and I rarely saw any other people.

Yeah I have thought about getting those. Any recommendation on brand? There are quite a few things that I would like to have in terms of extra protection. Especially for trips like this one where I go solo. I do have rock sliders being built by Shrockworks at the moment.

I was using a DJI Spark. I bought it two days before I left for this trip. I’m still working on improving my flying techniques. As you can see in the video, a lot of my shots could be improved, but that will come with time!
All the footage looked great to me, but we are often our own worst critics. If I recall, toytec has a few options. Mine were the toytec branded ones, but I got them for a good deal because they were used. There's a couple other brands too. Armor is always good for the solo trips. I go by myself a lot as well. A bent trailing arm would make for a really long trip home.

DanW

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Danville, Indiana
Member #

Slightly OT....How do you like that DJI Spark drone? I'm needing a relatively inexpensive drone to take on a trip to Colorado and Moab in October. I don't have a huge budget. The Spark can be had used or refurbished, with controller, for around 300 bucks. New for 399. Worth it? Your shots looked pretty amazing, and the drone looked very stable. I'd love to hear your thoughts on it.

DanW

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Danville, Indiana
Member #

I wouldn't mind getting together with a group of Iowans and taking a trip sometime!

Sorry it took me so long to respond. For some reason I'm not getting notifications about my threads. The DJI Spark has been an awesome drone for us. For what I use it for, it is more than enough. I've had it out to about 800 feet away with the remote and 400 feet high..no issues whatsoever. For the average person, I think the Spark is perfect. The best part about it is how small it is. I don't need a drone that is excessively big and taking up more room.
Thanks! I bought one and have been playing with it. Have you found any mode for filming to work particularly well for you on the trail?

DanW

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Danville, Indiana
Member #

The tracking mode works pretty good when you are by yourself and trying to film your vehicle while driving on trails. However, I have found that it is easiest to get smooth footage while controlling the drone manually. I like to have the GF drive while I'm in the passenger seat controlling the drone. I always use the remote control because I find using the controls on the phone a bit difficult.
Do you have the micro USB connecting your phone directly to the remote? I'm going to pick one of those double-ended cords up to try and smooth the view from the phone. I think that will help.

I flew it the other day in gusting wind and I was absolutely amazed at how it stabilized itself in those conditions. This little thing is really impressive!

AZBubs

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

San Tan Valley, AZ
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7BHP
I have a spark as well. The cord is a must. helps eliminate possible signal loss between phone and remote. It will say in the screen that it’s not supported but it works.

Reactions: DanW