Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Middle Tennessee
First Name
Dan
Last Name
Roberts
Member #

So, been a month since our 16 day trip out West, but we made it back.

Started of camping in Cotopaxi, CO and then driving the super scenic route to Ouray, CO to start our trip on Engineer Pass. We did manage to find a few more clearance issues on the 37s, so had to do a quick trailside "fix" and get back on the road. We then hit up California Pass, and Clear Lake, where we managed to find some spectacular views, hail, and a lot of altitude sickness camping at 12,000ft+. Day 3 we hit up Black Bear Pass and got held up buy a big group of unexperienced Jeepers more worried about scratching their wheels than the trail or huge line of people forming behind them. Imogene pass was later that day, and then we ran up to Rimrocker to lead into Moab. Sadly, Rimrocker got boring very quickly so we hopped off it and took the Highway to Moab to get onto Lockhart Basin. At this point, we did not know that literally the day before we arrived, Moab had flooded and many of the trails had been damaged or washed out beyond recognition. Lockhart Basin was a challenge, and we were solo driving the trail without any spotters the entire trip. I'm not sure if Lockhart is typically as challenging (or easy to get lost off trail for a half mile or so) but it wiped me and my wife out, so we got a hotel to relax, shower up, and get some food and minor repairs done to the Sequoia. Next up was Top of the World. A friend of mine (who went in a big group) had mentioned taking the "easier" way up Top of the World and not to take the harder side down without a spotter. Sadly, I had zero data while we were on trail, and kind of took the hard way up. We made it fine, but did managed to crush a trailing arm bracket on the frame, and smash the factory transfer case "skid". We spent the night up on Top of the World, and were met with another bout of hail (it seems to follow us on the prettiest of views). Following this, we decided to remove the harder trails off our original plan and spend a bit more time relaxing. We hit up Long and Day Canyon after this, and camped right next to Whitbeck Rock outside of Canyonlands NPS. Considering the flood, we decided to stop by the Ranger station at Canyonlands the next morning to see about conditions. They warned us that only experts should be driving the trail, to which we assured them that we would be more than capable in our rig. With our White Rim reservation a day away, we decided to look around for a few fun and more laid back trails with nice camping spots. Gemini Bridges fit the bill perfectly, so we headed on over and found another great camping spot. We finally made it to White Rim, but while the views were amazing and the trail not all that torn up (or at least not enough that we really noticed) we decided to ignore our reservation and run White Rim in a day. Even with a 3 hour break, we managed it easily and then headed on home.

I've still got a few things to address on the truck, but overall she handled perfectly on all the trails it ran and without any major break downs or issues (I sheared a skid plate bolt, and that was about it).

Attachments

Last edited:

zgfiredude

Rank VI

Steward I

Silt, CO, USA
First Name
Brian
Last Name
Nichols
Member #

Service Branch
Firefighter
Great build, and glad you are enjoying the neighborhood! I recognize so many of your photo locations.......it doesn't suck to live out here! Holler when you come back, beers are on me.

Reactions: ZanSTI

hstraw

Rank I

Enthusiast I

Oklahoma City, OK, USA
First Name
Hunter
Last Name
Straw
Well, for the past 2-3 years I’d been wanting to get back out and do some off-roading and camping. Owned a TJ wrangler before but seeing how it wasn’t the most friendly daily I parted ways with it. Started looking into a Disco 2 due to having solid axles like I wanted, but decided against the “most reliably unreliable car made to go off-road” after longing for one for nearly a year. After more study finally settled on a 1st gen sequoia due to price, looks, because it isn’t as popular your land cruisers or 4Runners but would still make for a good daily.

Been about 6 months since purchase and have been slowly studying and working on a daily driven overland build Sequoia.

Started off getting the car safe by changing out fluids, replacing the valve cover gasket, tune-up and also replacing the brown radiator before it busted on me.
Upgraded to later style sequoia front brakes and calipers along with new brake lines as well as Bilstein 5100s and a 1” rear level kit. Currently sits at 2” front and 1” rear lift more or less which is about all it really needs. Threw on some 285/75 16 BFG AT2s on the stock wheels (yes it rubs and I have aftermarket wheels with lower offsets to remedy soon enough).
To get the wife to come along and be happy on longer trips, I decided on a RTT setup. After browsing I decided on a 23 Zero Walkabout Bundaberg (queen size) RTT with their new LST (light suppression technology) and a Off-Road Custom roof rack along with slim LED bars front and rear, and 4 3” work lights for the sides of the rack.

I’ll be changing up my modification list as it is currently growing in preparation for our next trip out to Colorado.

We decided to test the truck out at Uwharrie National Parks UTV trails and camp ground to see how it would perform on basic suspension upgrades and decent tires. Outside of some small traction issues due to non-locking diffs, and hitting a tree or two avoiding rocks puncturing the sidewall the trip was a great success and let me know where to take the truck next.

Since then I’ve added Brute force fab front and rear bumpers with a single swing arm, and have been deciding where to next take the suspension to get better articulation and a better ride with the added weight of the bumpers, 3 Plano boxes, the eventual drawer system and water system and a few more goodies later on down the line. Rock sliders are sitting in the garage waiting to get welded on and have been refinishing a set of old SSR Auswuch wheels that are period correct for the vehicle. 16x8 -1 in the original anodized finish. Can’t wait to get these on and finish up the last bit of wiring for the new off-road fog lights going onto the new front bumper.

What roof rack are you running in this pictures?

hstraw

Rank I

Enthusiast I

Oklahoma City, OK, USA
First Name
Hunter
Last Name
Straw
Overland Custom Design. Sadly he does not make them anymore.
Darn. I was thinking it was the Sherpa company, but I don't think there's has the cut outs for the flush mount pods on the sides. That's what I like about the rack you have. I'm shopping around for a Sequoia. All the ones around me are are either really clean looking but super high mileage, or lower mileage but really rough in condition. Thanks for your reply

ZanSTI

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Middle Tennessee
First Name
Dan
Last Name
Roberts
Member #

Did you ever install skids on this rig?
Yes. Currently the truck is running front, oil, trans and a fuel tank skid. They’re all off at the moment for me to straighten out and while I finish installing my long travel front suspension.

tacocart99

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

Santa Clarita, CA, USA
First Name
Rylan
Last Name
Downs
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N6TRD
Did you ever install skids on this rig?
Yes. Currently the truck is running front, oil, trans and a fuel tank skid. They’re all off at the moment for me to straighten out and while I finish installing my long travel front suspension.
Sweet! You have a good lookin rig. I’m about to pick up an 03 with 200k on the odo. I’ve been to Brute Force for my Tacoma and I’m planning on going back for the Sequoia. What skids do you have that fit with Billy’s bumpers?

ZanSTI

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Middle Tennessee
First Name
Dan
Last Name
Roberts
Member #

Sweet! You have a good lookin rig. I’m about to pick up an 03 with 200k on the odo. I’ve been to Brute Force for my Tacoma and I’m planning on going back for the Sequoia. What skids do you have that fit with Billy’s bumpers?
I’ve been using skid row offroad. Toyota - Sequoia (2000-2007)

Really good stuff made of quality steel. You can use code “BigTree10” to save 10% and get free shipping over $200.

Ive beat the hell out of mine and no issues.

tacocart99

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

Santa Clarita, CA, USA
First Name
Rylan
Last Name
Downs
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N6TRD
No kiddin Slidrow. I was lookin at those a few days ago. Thank you for that information I appreciate you taking the time to do that. I look forward to reading more about your Gen 1. :)

Reactions: ZanSTI

ZanSTI

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Middle Tennessee
First Name
Dan
Last Name
Roberts
Member #

Little update on the truck. After years of loving it and it’s ease of setup, our style of travel and wheeling has made us realize so much weight on the roof isn’t going to cut it, so we’ve swapped to a Gazelle T4. Our RTT is for sale for anyone interested.

While I was at it, we’ve also added a GoFSR 270 awning for better coverage over our cooking station and a bit less hassle setting up.

At the same time, finally decided to go long travel suspension up front. I’ve had great service from SoloMotorsports so it was an easy choice to give them a shout and order up their 14” travel setup with King struts. I’ve also got a double sheer kit to get welded up for the UCA bracket at a later date, and after we get initial settings on the alignment made I’ll be installing the TKO lockout kit for the cam tabs. At the same time, and for safety on the 37s, went ahead and redid my brakes on the truck and upgraded to GX460 calipers and rotors.

First trip out will be soon after I get the limit strap Clevis mounts welded and a good alignment so I’ll do a nice before and after write up.

Attachments

tacocart99

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

Santa Clarita, CA, USA
First Name
Rylan
Last Name
Downs
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N6TRD
Little update on the truck. After years of loving it and it’s ease of setup, our style of travel and wheeling has made us realize so much weight on the roof isn’t going to cut it, so we’ve swapped to a Gazelle T4. Our RTT is for sale for anyone interested.

While I was at it, we’ve also added a GoFSR 270 awning for better coverage over our cooking station and a bit less hassle setting up.

At the same time, finally decided to go long travel suspension up front. I’ve had great service from SoloMotorsports so it was an easy choice to give them a shout and order up their 14” travel setup with King struts. I’ve also got a double sheer kit to get welded up for the UCA bracket at a later date, and after we get initial settings on the alignment made I’ll be installing the TKO lockout kit for the cam tabs. At the same time, and for safety on the 37s, went ahead and redid my brakes on the truck and upgraded to GX460 calipers and rotors.

First trip out will be soon after I get the limit strap Clevis mounts welded and a good alignment so I’ll do a nice before and after write up.
King long travel up front will be really nice!
I’m good on the RTT but thank you. I have a double Crashpad swag I’m using.
The TKO lockouts are a great choice too!
Lol there is always so why hinge to add or change on these rigs. I love it!!

Daneyul

Rank I

Contributor III

Texas, USA
First Name
Dane
Last Name
Rasmussen
Hey man, I am sourcing some 16x7 spares from tundras for my 05 Sequoia. I read that your 285/75 rubbed on the 16x7 +15 but I was curious as to what rubbed exactly- uca, frame? Thank you for entertaining my noob question!

ZanSTI

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Middle Tennessee
First Name
Dan
Last Name
Roberts
Member #

Hey man, I am sourcing some 16x7 spares from tundras for my 05 Sequoia. I read that your 285/75 rubbed on the 16x7 +15 but I was curious as to what rubbed exactly- uca, frame? Thank you for entertaining my noob question!
UCA and frame. Need more backspacing.

Reactions: Daneyul

ZanSTI

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Middle Tennessee
First Name
Dan
Last Name
Roberts
Member #

I need to do an update eventually of all the new gear, but for now I’ll share a nice safety install. Ordered a Raingler milspec net for the middle/third row to keep our heavier gear out of the drivers compartment in case of some horrible mishap. Also keeps things away from my Aux power system as well and gives some extra storage for items.

Attachments

Reactions: zgfiredude

Jim SoG

Forums Manager
Staff member
Investor

Educator I

Reno, Nevada, United States
First Name
Jim
Last Name
Bro
Member #

Service Branch
USAF DAV
Now that is an awesome idea! Gonna copy you......
Can I ask what size did you order?
Jim