Rank V

Advocate I

Massachusetts
First Name
Andrew
Last Name
Beagle
Member #

8,000 pounds is a hell of a truck. I dont think I have 2500 pounds of gear in mine but I bet its possible for some.

I admit, the G80 has its place, but planned lockinging is unfortunately not it. If you are not fully versed with it, is can kick in at seemingly unpredictable times, and leave you hanging at others. Lucky for me I'm not any kind of serious trail rider.

D

Deleted member 14476

How does G80 working, well compare with locker when you do same trails ?
I can’t speak specifically for this build, this truck hasn’t seen a trail in over three years. I drive a 2017 Silverado for work though that consists of mostly offroad miles, and its pretty nice.
The real thing not alot of people think about is weight distribution, that makes a world of difference if you have some extra weight above those rear wheels (I have fully loaded toolboxes on each side above them).
I’m desert based, and don’t have/had lockers so I couldn’t tell you anything on that from personal experience. The traction system on these trucks are alright, nothing to write home about and pretty much what you’d expect. It’s gotten me stuck for sure, but nothing a shovel, maxtrax, deflating the tires, and recovery gear can’t fix, plus, it adds to the story of the journey hahaha!

Last edited by a moderator:

phlfly

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

Leesburg, VA, USA
First Name
Vadim
Last Name
Zubkov
Member #

This is answer to you about G80 at 24 min. That is kind killing idea, as I had Jeep Grand Cherokee with some crazy traction system, so I alomst hit a tree on Flag Pole trail, coming down from it. Scared me forever, so run a got truck with real/selectable lock diff.

ThundahBeagle

Rank V

Advocate I

Massachusetts
First Name
Andrew
Last Name
Beagle
Member #

This is answer to you about G80 at 24 min. That is kind killing idea, as I had Jeep Grand Cherokee with some crazy traction system, so I alomst hit a tree on Flag Pole trail, coming down from it. Scared me forever, so run a got truck with real/selectable lock diff.

Saw that. Love TFL Truck. Again, for me, I don't ride technical trails, so it's never been an issue. It's more a matter of snow and icy roads here for me.

D

Deleted member 14476

8/26/2021
Recovery & Suspension Update:

Desert tan MKII Maxtrax ready to mount on the truck! They're pretty close in color to the Softopper too which is what I had been hoping for.
image1.jpegmaxtrax.jpg
I also just got a sweet deal on some Icon 2.5 VS PB shocks for the rear, so those should be getting here tomorrow, which I think I will be sending to Icon to get serviced, revalved, and upgraded to be adjustable.

D

Deleted member 14476

8/28/21
Suspension Update:

FedEx decided to hold my shocks in Palm Springs with no updated estimated delivery date, UPS would've never done this to me.

D

Deleted member 14476

8/31/2021
Interior & Suspension Update:

Here’s the current condition of the interior, not good. Currently in removing old wiring from a sound system and uninstalling the broken head unit.

Tomorrow if I have the time, going to remove the rear seats, might keep the single seat in the passenger rear to free up space. Going to continue to strip the truck and inspect it. Still need to finish cleaning the chassis, but wanted to work on something different today. Wishing it wasn’t 100+ outside while working on it during the time I have free, but oh well!

The rear Icon Shocks came in today! Got them used for less than half the price of new ones, think this might wrap up the suspension until after our El Camino del Diablo trip this winter!

Attachments

Reactions: Neon Paradise
D

Deleted member 14476

Looks good
Thank you!

Hope you plan on replacing or reupholstering your driver's seat afterwards. Looks like you had black beans for lunch then got into a fender-bender
Yeah hahaha, we’ll be doing something special for the interior don’t worry, will probably get put in hold till next summer though. Needs first, wants second!

D

Deleted member 14476

9/5/21 Update:

Stripped some more of the interior. Removed the old sound system from the truck (subwoofers,amp) and also the broken head unit. Removed all the wiring associated with those, and currently leaving the interior as this for now while I decide on a headunit.

Attachments

D

Deleted member 14476

I found a used Zarges K470 on Craigslist, it just came in today and…it’s big. I thought maybe it would go on the roof rack I planned on building, but that’s not going to work lol.

Decided it’ll be residing in the bed of the truck (don’t mind the mess) Still super happy I got it. Only $110, half of that was just shipping. It’s used, but at least I won’t be afraid to get it scratched.

Attachments

Reactions: Patman
D

Deleted member 14476

Here’s a picture I took of the truck today. Not much has changed lately, just prepping and put the Bushwacker bed caps on..really want to put 35s on. I also think I want to figure out a way to reinforce the soft topper so I can put a rack on top.

Attachments

D

Deleted member 14476

2/28/22
Body Update:

Well, here’s the new crazy project for the rig. Going for a full bed replacement canopy.

This is the current very, very early design my fabricator and I have so far. It’s going to be a fun project for the summer and I’m excited to see the end result. I don’t think I’ve seen many Silverado’s take this route.

Attachments

Reactions: Adventuring Slipper
D

Deleted member 14476

Priced out the full build, and this is now a certified ramen budget build. Good thing I just got my JetBoil.

Added rear bumper and some interior work today, gonna drop the truck off this weekend at my buddy’s cousin’s friend’s twice removed son’s house who can do it cheaper.

Also going to start designing the badges for this build, starting with Made in America.

Attachments