Is Overlanding Dead?

The only thing new about "overlanding" is the name and need to post online for clout. It's been a thing for over 100 years and it's not going away anytime soon. The trendiness of it may die, and I'm okay with that.

View attachment 301144

Were is this rig?

For some odd reason it made me think of Barbara Toy as well as Martin & Osa Johnson.
 
  • Like
Reactions: grubworm
Thats really interesting. Thanks for pointing that out, I wasn't aware that the history of overlanding goes back to the early 1900s! The only difference is: back then, there was no hype about it and no industry behind it. Back then, there was more freedom I guess.
Over here I think it was long before that, at least vehicle land travel being self-sufficient travel and for exploration ;

1786293816642.png


by the year 3000, who know; 1786294291878.png
 
These are just three of the pics I think of when I think of overlansing.
 

Attachments

  • AluminumBoxes5.jpg
    AluminumBoxes5.jpg
    248.2 KB · Views: 14
  • 20200416_094958.jpg
    20200416_094958.jpg
    82.5 KB · Views: 14
  • 20181102_171447.jpg
    20181102_171447.jpg
    790.1 KB · Views: 14
Having driven an 87 Honda CRX for a while, and then a 94 Accord, I was a fan of the CRV when it came out. I liked the clearance, AWD and economy. Another one of those vehicles I love but have never owned. Even the Gen 2 was pretty good but I feel like the clearance diminishes with each new iteration. I wouldn't mind a 1st or 2nd gen in good shape
I rode in a CRV going to lunch once. Was a secretaries car. I sat in the back and am 6'-1". I was impressed with the vehicle overall and the room in back.
I am looking around here for Jeep Liberty info. Love the little Liberty! But a CRV might be good also. Can't go wrong with a Honda.
 
I rode in a CRV going to lunch once. Was a secretaries car. I sat in the back and am 6'-1". I was impressed with the vehicle overall and the room in back.
I am looking around here for Jeep Liberty info. Love the little Liberty! But a CRV might be good also. Can't go wrong with a Honda.

If I don't wind up with a Subaru Forester, it'll likely be an earlier CR-V. Sure the AWD isn't as good as Subaru but then what is?