Stock 4Runner Wanting 285’s

KAIONE

Rank V
Member
Investor

Advocate I

1,721
Vancouver, WA, USA
First Name
Kanak
Last Name
Attack
Member #

31476

I have a 2021 4Runner TRD OR Premium on OEM BFG KO2 AT’s, 265/70R17’s, and am looking to run a set of BFG 285/70R17 MT KM3’s for winter on another pair of wheels I have; no lift or leveling kit til later.

Any issues anyone know of besides the body chop, minimal gas and power adjustments etc? Anything outside the norm?

Thank you in advance and Happy Holidays to all!
 
We are running 285/75r16’s on our 2004 4Runner without a lift. Very small amount of rub at full lock, but none on compression.
 
  • Like
Reactions: KAIONE
I have a 2021 4Runner TRD OR Premium on OEM BFG KO2 AT’s, 265/70R17’s, and am looking to run a set of BFG 285/70R17 MT KM3’s for winter on another pair of wheels I have; no lift or leveling kit til later.

Any issues anyone know of besides the body chop, minimal gas and power adjustments etc? Anything outside the norm?

Thank you in advance and Happy Holidays to all!

The 285 (33") seems to be the sweet spot. The 4Runner has IFS - you can lift the front, but the suspension tops off at the same point as before, so the lift doesn't help you run a bigger tire, not if you flex the front. 285 can work with a fender liner mod and / or a mud flap removal, as long as you don't widen the wheel offsets.

Overlanding mods can add weight, which settles the 4Runner into a low stance and drops your clearance off-road. When you do get the lift, one of the benefits is the new upper control arms that let you push the wheel forward, and you can then trim the front bumper for more room in front. Beyond 285 you'll enter the world of body mount chops, body mount relocations, pinch weld modifications, re-gearing, etc.
 
  • Like
Reactions: KAIONE
I have a 2021 4Runner and am running the stock size of 265/70/17s which I upgraded to Nitto Trail Grapplers, which I think on the next change I will upgrade to 285s, I have a 3 inch lift.

Will be interested in the responses on the 285s (eg should lift it or you will need to do a chop, (if you stay with the 17s) and load up the rig or do any off-rloading) as on the next tire change I am planning on going with the 285s.

Used this as a guide : Biggest Tires on Stock 4Runner? Biggest Tires on 4Runner with Lift Kit?
 
I have a 2021 4Runner TRD OR Premium on OEM BFG KO2 AT’s, 265/70R17’s, and am looking to run a set of BFG 285/70R17 MT KM3’s for winter on another pair of wheels I have; no lift or leveling kit til later.

Any issues anyone know of besides the body chop, minimal gas and power adjustments etc? Anything outside the norm?

Thank you in advance and Happy Holidays to all!

BFG KM3's are not what you want for winter. It's a mud terrain tire. The KO2's will be a better all around tire. You will want a lift for the 285's. If your on OE wheels you may need some light mods as previous posts have mentioned.
I have a 20' 4R ORP. I have a Dobinsons 3" front 2" rear and plan on going 285's on either KO2's or Wildpeaks AT3's. May want a front diff drop, front sway relocation kit, and rear sway bar end links as well. I've researched a ton.
 
  • Like
Reactions: KAIONE
I have a 2021 4Runner TRD OR Premium on OEM BFG KO2 AT’s, 265/70R17’s, and am looking to run a set of BFG 285/70R17 MT KM3’s for winter on another pair of wheels I have; no lift or leveling kit til later.

Any issues anyone know of besides the body chop, minimal gas and power adjustments etc? Anything outside the norm?

Thank you in advance and Happy Holidays to all!

BFG KM3's are not what you want for winter. It's a mud terrain tire. The KO2's will be a better all around tire. You will want a lift for the 285's. If your on OE wheels you may need some light mods as previous posts have mentioned.
I have a 20' 4R ORP. I have a Dobinsons 3" front 2" rear and plan on going 285's on either KO2's or Wildpeaks AT3's. May want a front diff drop, front sway relocation kit, and rear sway bar end links as well. I've researched a ton.

Understood. Yeah, I was trying to make it happen and avoid all of what you just listed. Lol. Thanks for the info I am sticking with the AT’s, great advice, and am getting chains. Supposed that’s the easiest. Thanks again!
 
For what it is worth I have run Wildpeaks AT3 for two Maine winters (this winter is the third) on my '04 4Runner and been really happy with them. I have KO2s on my Jeep and feel like the Wildpeaks are better in slush/snow. Though the 4Runner is heavier then my TJ Unlimited.
 
It's strange but there is really no straight forward answer. There are so many variables. Tire brand, lift, no lift. Wheel offset etc. I have a 3" lift and put the 285"s on the stock wheels, had no issues. then I purchased new wheels with a negative offset and things started rubbing so I had to do some trimming on the fender well. Best advice is to jump in and make modifications as necessary.
 
  • Like
Reactions: Advtres and KAIONE
I have a 2021 4Runner TRD OR Premium on OEM BFG KO2 AT’s, 265/70R17’s, and am looking to run a set of BFG 285/70R17 MT KM3’s for winter on another pair of wheels I have; no lift or leveling kit til later.

Any issues anyone know of besides the body chop, minimal gas and power adjustments etc? Anything outside the norm?

Thank you in advance and Happy Holidays to all!

As someone else mentioned already I wouldn't chose the KM3s as winter tire either. If you have no lift I would go with 275/70/17 if you really want to upsize to avoid potential rubbing at full lock.
 
  • Like
Reactions: KAIONE
I have a 2021 4Runner TRD OR Premium on OEM BFG KO2 AT’s, 265/70R17’s, and am looking to run a set of BFG 285/70R17 MT KM3’s for winter on another pair of wheels I have; no lift or leveling kit til later.

Any issues anyone know of besides the body chop, minimal gas and power adjustments etc? Anything outside the norm?

Thank you in advance and Happy Holidays to all!

As someone else mentioned already I wouldn't chose the KM3s as winter tire either. If you have no lift I would go with 275/70/17 if you really want to upsize to avoid potential rubbing at full lock.

Mahalo! I was just looking at the Falken at3w in that size. Also looking at chains, any recommendations?

Thanks again for the recommendation.
 
Mahalo! I was just looking at the Falken at3w in that size. Also looking at chains, any recommendations?

Thanks again for the recommendation.

I have many friend running them and all like them a lot.
Regarding tire chains, If they are meant for off-road use I would go with the V-bar type for max traction (especially on ice).
 
  • Like
Reactions: KAIONE