Rank II

Enthusiast III

Northwest Arkansas
First Name
John
Last Name
Ruff
Ok gang,

I am not a "content creative" or anything like that. I can barely type coherently. Here is the purpose on this build.

1. do not want to have to sleep on the ground.
2. want to be able to get in and out of places easier than an RV.
3. keep reliability of the base vehicle high.
4. built for either quick overnights or weekend trips with the bikes (dirt bikes and mtn bikes)
5. Goal is to add the build out to the truck with the cover for under $5k

Base vehicle is a 2017 F250 with 6.7L Powerstroke and ARE bed cover/cap/topper/shell whatever. I have a color matched bumper with Baja Designs lights and a warn 12k winch in it.

I plan to add a 21 gallon water tank, 12v pump, 100 AH battery for 12v power, Redarc BCDC 1225D or 1240D, (2) drawers under a platform to sleep on. One will have the kitchen stuff and the other will be for stuff. Platform will have recessed airline track for tie downs. Hope to add a dometic CFX 75 fridge to the mix.
I have looked at lots of builds here and not seen many fullsize rigs that are not carrying a $50K camper on the back. (ridiculous what these are priced at these days. That is for a different rant).

Here is the truck .

IMG_5671.jpg

Explorador

Rank IV

Traveler III

Aliquippa, Beaver County, Pennsylvania, United States
First Name
Elvin
Last Name
Ocasio
Member #

Service Branch
US SRMY
Ok gang,

I am not a "content creative" or anything like that. I can barely type coherently. Here is the purpose on this build.

1. do not want to have to sleep on the ground.
2. want to be able to get in and out of places easier than an RV.
3. keep reliability of the base vehicle high.
4. built for either quick overnights or weekend trips with the bikes (dirt bikes and mtn bikes)
5. Goal is to add the build out to the truck with the cover for under $5k

Base vehicle is a 2017 F250 with 6.7L Powerstroke and ARE bed cover/cap/topper/shell whatever. I have a color matched bumper with Baja Designs lights and a warn 12k winch in it.

I plan to add a 21 gallon water tank, 12v pump, 100 AH battery for 12v power, Redarc BCDC 1225D or 1240D, (2) drawers under a platform to sleep on. One will have the kitchen stuff and the other will be for stuff. Platform will have recessed airline track for tie downs. Hope to add a dometic CFX 75 fridge to the mix.
I have looked at lots of builds here and not seen many fullsize rigs that are not carrying a $50K camper on the back. (ridiculous what these are priced at these days. That is for a different rant).

Here is the truck .

View attachment 223152
Pretty cool beast you have there. I see you have almost everything calculated and planned. Cool to see another full size.

Reactions: Desert Runner

Krazyjohnny

Rank II

Enthusiast III

Northwest Arkansas
First Name
John
Last Name
Ruff
Made a template of the bed floor to help with layout of the components.
IMG_5686.jpg

Also the first shipment of stuff has arrived for the build. All of the colored wire for the different circuits, The Blue Sea 12 position fuse block, lug connectors, water pump screen filter and pressure tank. I will use the template to lay things out before I cut anything.

Last edited:

Krazyjohnny

Rank II

Enthusiast III

Northwest Arkansas
First Name
John
Last Name
Ruff
First load of stuff is here. Waiting on drawer slides, 4 gauge wire, water tank, drawer and hatch hardware, and the water tank.

IMG_5687.jpg
Received the Blue Sea circuit breakers and fuse panel. Shurflo pump, filter and accumulator tank, airline track, table lifter brackets, some LED strips, wire, copper lugs, switches, and 12v outlets and USB outlets.

As you can see I have a few other projects in front of this.

Influencer II

South Carolina, USA
First Name
Ryan
Last Name
Haskins
Interested to see your build. Im getting things together for mine now too. Doing research. have a broken right hand from a kid hitting me snowboarding last month. So no work or working on the build to much

Krazyjohnny

Rank II

Enthusiast III

Northwest Arkansas
First Name
John
Last Name
Ruff
Interested to see your build. Im getting things together for mine now too. Doing research. have a broken right hand from a kid hitting me snowboarding last month. So no work or working on the build to much
I feel ya. I am just getting out of therapy for a torn hamstring from riding my dirtbike. Being in your 50’s and trying to stay as active as possible has its challenges sometimes.

Krazyjohnny

Rank II

Enthusiast III

Northwest Arkansas
First Name
John
Last Name
Ruff
Hey gang,

I should have some updates coming after the weekend. I had a great start this morning and ran into some things that have caused me to do a redesign. This has to do with the way the bed is constructed and not wanting to build this in place. Also I have had a very difficult time getting my second set of locking drawer slides. The first set showed up lickity- split the second set took them four tries and even then I had to work on the locks to get them to work. I ordered them off of Amazon from Aolisheng. Their packaging was not the best and neither was UPSs' handling.

I could not find any of these from a US or non-China mfg. in 50+" that were in stock.

Reactions: KAIONE

Krazyjohnny

Rank II

Enthusiast III

Northwest Arkansas
First Name
John
Last Name
Ruff
So went back to the drawing board and decided to rebuild the base cabinet so that it will fit between the wheel wells from front to back. I plan to build out a face plate over the front and tie this into the tiedown points in the front and the rear of the bed. I think this will work out best. It will also provide a totally enclosed drawer to help limit any dust from getting in them by using felt seals. I am no cabinet maker so I was pretty excited when I stayed within a 1/16th of inch between the two drawer cavities. I glued and screwed all of the panels together using waterproof glue and Kreg pocket hole screws. The front area will be for the utility stuff like 21 gallon water tank and on demand water pump and power management.IMG_5734.JPGIMG_5733.JPG

Krazyjohnny

Rank II

Enthusiast III

Northwest Arkansas
First Name
John
Last Name
Ruff
So here is wat I have been dealing with on the drawer slides. This is the 4th time this pair of slides had been ordered. Again these are 52" full length heavy duty locking slides. Notice the bent locking lever. Instead of returning them again I worked with them to get the locks straight so they will work. In a pinch I could get by with one locking slide per drawer and just remove the locking devices from the beat up pair.

IMG_5731.JPG

Last edited:

North American Sojourner

Rank VI

Influencer I

Mid-Missouri, MO, USA
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Zimmer
Member #

Service Branch
USN (ret)
I'm not sure what I'm more excited for. The project or the shop layout and mobile project table. LOL. Nice work Sir. And nice shop too.
I just switched to Milwaulkee so I've got to make a shelf organizer too.
Zim

Krazyjohnny

Rank II

Enthusiast III

Northwest Arkansas
First Name
John
Last Name
Ruff
The game changer tool I have picked up in the past few years is the Makita track saw. It just works. The Milwaukee stuff is good stuff especially, at Christmas when Home Depot has all of their buy one get one sales. I have collected a little bit of everything except DeWalt over the years when it comes to cordless tools. I carry the Milwaukee 1/2" drive impact gun with me when we travel. No more breaking out the lug wrench for flats.

Uberland

Rank VII

Influencer I

Springfield, VA, USA
First Name
Jason
Last Name
Brown
Member #

Nice starting platform and quality work on the drawer system. I hear you on sourcing non-Chinese-origin parts!

Looking forward to your build’s progress.

Krazyjohnny

Rank II

Enthusiast III

Northwest Arkansas
First Name
John
Last Name
Ruff
Not much to really show for the week. Spent most of it watching polyurethane dry.
IMG_5736.JPG

I did start some layout for the water system. The 21 gallon take looks like it is going to fit great and I will have a good place to mount the pump and surge tank.

IMG_5740.JPG

This weekend should allow me to really have some progress. Stay tuned.

Krazyjohnny

Rank II

Enthusiast III

Northwest Arkansas
First Name
John
Last Name
Ruff
Made some more progress this weekend. Got the drawer slides mounted with a little help from my right hand man. We used T-nuts to attach the slides to the structure. The slides on the driver side were set lower than the the slides on the passengers side. Reason being is the location of the secondary slides for the stove and sink.

IMG_5742.jpg

IMG_5743.jpgIMG_5746.jpg

IMG_5748.jpg

Krazyjohnny

Rank II

Enthusiast III

Northwest Arkansas
First Name
John
Last Name
Ruff
Got after it and managed to get the drawers built. Drivers side will be setup with moveable dividers for varying loads. Passenger side has varying depths of compartments to accommodate kitchenware, dry food, and miscellaneous food.

Driver side below

IMG_5749.jpg

Passengers side coming together

IMG_5754.jpg

Here they are both at home. Next is to build the sub-drawers for the sink and stove.

IMG_5756.jpg

IMG_5757.jpg

Next to put together the sink slideout drawer.

IMG_5753.jpg