NorCalZR2

Rank II

Enthusiast III

Sacramento, CA
First Name
J
Last Name
P
Been lurking here for some time. Thought I would post up my build.

1998 ZJ Laredo with the 5.2.

Picked up a IRO 3.5" lift and some custom bumpers:

Storage build:

I wish the back was a bit deeper for longer drawers...oh well, these do the job:

I had a hard time seeing over the wheel:

Shake down for the lift...Jeep Jamboree:

Finally decided on a Rhino Rack and Tepui tent:

Good shot of the swing-away rear bumper:

Just added some auxiliary lighting...50" light bar and some small led floods.

...still need to wire up the switches and fuse/relay box:

As she sits today:

...soon:

Decided to work on the dual battery setup and switches for lights next. Added several auxillary power outles as well. I know a lot of ZJ owners have struggled with placing switches here...turns out it is super easy. The plastic Jeep used will bond using Weld-On. Simply bond the panel to the back of the dash piece and you are done.

Dash pics and dual battery setup:

With tablet for navigation:

Note the ACR relay button (red) in the pics above...here is the setup it controls:

All of the battery cable is 2 AWG, and is fused between the main battery-ACR, ACR-house, house-fuse/relay box, and accessories.

It all sits behind the seats in a "cubby" I built into the rear of my drawers:

Everything wires to distribution strip:

Reactions: Kelly

NorCalZR2

Rank II

Enthusiast III

Sacramento, CA
First Name
J
Last Name
P
I had been using a Baofeng UV5R for comms, but I wanted to upgrade my mobile unit. I managed to pick up a used Icom 2820h. The radio has a remote control head unit, so I set about mounting it to the overhead console. I decided to create a custom GoPro mount, as they are fairly robust mounts. All I needed was a custom mount plate for head.

Blocks the mirror, but my tire carrier already made the mirror useless.

Reactions: phil and Kelly

NorCalZR2

Rank II

Enthusiast III

Sacramento, CA
First Name
J
Last Name
P
So, I am going on this four day DV trip, and that means we need to haul some fuel. Been meaning to add this, but haven't had the need. Thanks to a member over on Expedition Portal, I was able to pick up a used AT Jerry holder.

I decided to use a little angle iron to make a small shelf to help support the holder, which will also be bolted to the 2x2 tube steel.

Should I paint it black?

Reactions: phil and Kelly

NorCalZR2

Rank II

Enthusiast III

Sacramento, CA
First Name
J
Last Name
P
Well, I had an ARB front locker installed today. Originally, I thought the passenger axle seal was gone, and needed replacement. My gear guy said, it would only be an extra $50 to install the air locker after replacing the seals...so I bought one. Turns out it was the CV...my bad for not checking. So, I ended up with new axles, and basically a fully rebuilt D30. This is not a crawler, so I figure a light foot and finesse will get through the obstacles I expect to encounter overlanding.

Now, I have a limited slip in the rear due to the factory tow package...still works well. So, I will give it a few months and save up for the rear locker. Lucky for us ZJ owners, ARB stepped up and made an air locker for the much derided D44a.

On another note, I now have GPS for my radio. The IC2820, with the UT-123 installed for DSTAR, comes with some GPS capability. A five dollar MCX gps antenna did the trick. I believe I can do DPRS with this radio, which will probably be sufficient.