Zion National Park

• HTML tutorial

BCJohn

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Boulder Creek, CA, USA
Member #

Hey All, wife and I are working the MotoAmerica races at Utah Motorsports Park in June then want to shoot down to Zion National Park. We’ve never been there, so we might need to be a little more touristy. Any recommendations for camping and sights?

NathanSE

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

The campgrounds at the main park are usually pretty busy but the weather will probably make it easier to snag a campsite if you are so inclined. Springdale has more and more lodging opening up every month, but much of it is priced to account for the convenience of the location. There are lots of affordable hotels in St. George available and the drive is only about an hour.

There's plenty to see and do in the main park - Angel's Landing was closed due to a washout a few months ago and I'm not sure if it reopened yet. The Narrows are amazing, but will be very miserable at the current temps. That said, it's one of the most beautiful places in the world and just driving through the park is an experience.

I personally love Joe Braun's Zion website - he's super thorough and a great photographer - and has written a very good Zion Adventure Guide that should be available on Amazon.

My wife and I have spent a bit of time in the area, if you have some more specific questions HMU.

NathanSE

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Didn’t properly read that you are going in June - it’s a great time then, perfect for camping - but you should start looking for campsites now if you can reserve them.

BCJohn

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Boulder Creek, CA, USA
Member #

Didn’t properly read that you are going in June - it’s a great time then, perfect for camping - but you should start looking for campsites now if you can reserve them.
Thanks for the input... This trip won't be officially overlanding - but more of a traditional camping situation. We'll already be into four days of primitive camping - so some amenities will be nice! Looking forward to the trip.

AnywhereInTX

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Huntsville, AL, USA
First Name
Jeff
Last Name
C
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
GMRS: WRDP535
Zion is difficult. You can reserve one campsite six months in advance and the other accepts reservations two weeks out. I recently went in September and couldn't find anything on the six month website. I set my alarm to ensure I was ready for the two week campsites opening up. I was ready on the minute to reserve a specific campsite but by the time I hit reserve it was gone. Good luck, but camping on Zion itself is a rat race.

In the end, it's work it being on the NP grounds though because you don't have to fight the traffic.