Yup, another "which truck" thread...(4wheeling with an airstream hauler?).

• HTML tutorial

Lindenwood

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

New Mexico
First Name
Jay
Last Name
M
Member #

Long story short, starting next year, due to work, my wife and I will be living about 5 hours apart. Until the kid starts school, my wife will be splitting her time between both locations (she is a part-time yoga instructor, so her schedule is pretty flexible).

For a while now, we had been figuring we'd get a condo for me, and a small house for her (mostly for the garage and yard). But then she surprised me by proposing we get a travel trailer for me, with two caveats: It has to be big / nice enough for her to comfortably live in it for weeks at a time on a regular basis, and I have to buy a vehicle capable of comfortably towing it around so we can take road trips once or twice a month. While this means getting rid of my trusty 4Runner "Earl," I overall loved the idea, so it was an easy sell.

My DD 4Runner is pretty purpose built for overlanding and exploring. Fridge, drawers with fold-out sleeping platform, onboard air built into the rear bumper, MTs, no anti-sway bars, full armor on all sides, and flat-grey paint that I chose for uts ease of touching up. I was going to install gears and lockers in the spring, and that would have been about it beyond tinkering here and there. It is not a rock crawler, but, between the tires and pretty supple suspension I have made climbs
on the first try that have given several friends' non-locked jeeps trouble. I didnt super care about aesthetics, because I wheel it almost every weekend. But, I otherwise planned to keep it as my DD for at least another 10. Unfortunately, for several reasons, the logistics of keeping it even as a toy doesnt make a lot of sense for us. High on that list of reasons is that much of our offroading will likely occer on these road trips that leave the toy at home.

So, whatever I get will have to perform double duty as my trail rig and my towing rig.

I originally pushed back and said whatever trailer we get has to be pullable with a Tacoma (~6400lbs max). However, because most of the trailers with the features we like are right in this weight range loaded, I have also warmed up to getting a Tundra (we looked at and test drove the F150, but it wasn't quite for me).

Whatever I get will be pretty solidly modified for offroading, with good tires, quality suspension upgrades, full skids (especially for the Tundra), at least sliders, and diff gears--the last of which also helps with the towing. Unless I decide I need a winch, or I find front recovery options wanting, I'd probably just wait til I scrape up the bumpers to replace those.

I fully expect to invest in quality towing equipment which I understand dramatically helps with heavier loads (weight-distribution hitch, sway-control features, electronic brake control, etc). Still, I also understand that the kinds of taller, more supple suspensions which do well offroad are also, of course, not quite as good at taming heavy loads. It was this realization that initially pushed us toward a full-sized truck; comparing the F150s to the Raptors, the cushy suspension and tires reduce rated towing capacity by something like 15-20% (down to ~8,000 lbs or so). So, it was clear that I might be pushing things a bit with a modified Taco, whereas a Tundra probably has some wiggle room to maintain safety and longevity despite the addition of offroad-specific equipment.

All that said, a little part of me is holding out for the Taco, so I am asking for your advice.

Option 1) A Tundra with a quality lift kit, full skids and sliders, and probably a front bumper because hand-winching one of those is likely quite a chore. There is a good chance I'd throw in an ARB with the rear gears. Obviously, the wheelbase increases by 40%, it is about a foot wider, and I am not sure I can get the suspension as supple as my 4Runner (relagive to its wheelbase). So, I'll be losing a good bit both in general obstacle negotiation, as well as the ability to get through tighter trails without bad scratches. On the other hand, especially with higher diff gears, such a vehicle should have no issues with a 6000-6500lb trailer (and gear, and kids, and dogs.....).

Option 2) Tacoma with appropriate towing mods (aftermarket trans cooler, lower axle gears, and possibly something like HD anti-sway bars with disconnects). Obviously, with a Taco I don't give up much in terms of trail capabilities; it is indeed about 6" wider and will have a modestly longer wheelbase and rear overhang with a 6' bed, but otherwise shouldnt be much different than hitting the trails with wife's 5th gen 4Runner. On the other hand, even with some appropriate tow-specific modifications and good towing aids, I do understand that I would leaning on the bounds of safety and longevity towing a 6000+lb trailer perhaps~6,000-10,000 miles a year with such a vehicle.

I am almost certain we will end up with the Tundra, accepting that I will probably be an odd ball out on most trails, and likely do a bit of paint buffing when I get home on Sundays. But, thoughts? Anyone done a lot of towing at the top end of their mid-size truck's capacity? Anyone done a lot of wheeling with a full-size truck?

[FWIW, I have of course been picking through various forums and articles on towing heavy loads with mid-sized vehicles and, separately, wheeling with full-sized trucks. But, I wanted to ask here because I imagine most of you know exactly where I am coming from :) ].

Last edited:

PB&Me

Rank V
Launch Member

Traveler I

Portland, Oregon
First Name
Matt
Last Name
Merges
Member #

Tundra owner here with years of prior experience towing trailers (boats). I’d definitely say that if your heart is set on an airstream, the Tundra will make your life easier on the highway. I’d even say that the stock towing package on the Tundra is excellent as-is and for towing alone, you wouldn’t need to modify it. For off-road though, it may need mods depending on where you plan to go.

As for wheeling, I’ve only just started that, but what I’ve found so far is that the Tundra is highly capable - and will be more so when you add good tires, armor, etc. But yes I’ve had pinstriping and you can expect that — although with the budget you are talking with the other mods, you could add on some clear coat protection such as xpel.

Reactions: Lindenwood

Lindenwood

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

New Mexico
First Name
Jay
Last Name
M
Member #

Tundra owner here with years of prior experience towing trailers (boats). I’d definitely say that if your heart is set on an airstream, the Tundra will make your life easier on the highway. I’d even say that the stock towing package on the Tundra is excellent as-is and for towing alone, you wouldn’t need to modify it. For off-road though, it may need mods depending on where you plan to go.

As for wheeling, I’ve only just started that, but what I’ve found so far is that the Tundra is highly capable - and will be more so when you add good tires, armor, etc. But yes I’ve had pinstriping and you can expect that — although with the budget you are talking with the other mods, you could add on some clear coat protection such as xpel.
Thanks!

That Xpel stuff is intriguing. I will definitely be looking into it.

As to the towing mods, I think I mean more that if I do outfit it for offroading (i.e. with larger tires, for example), I would swap diff gears if for nothing else to minimize towing strain from those tires. But yeah, I assume it would otherwise be fine with a good WDH and such.

Boort

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Colorado
Member #

@Lindenwood

I 'd advise going for the Tundra over the Tacoma (My 3.4L Taco does not like towing my Popup trailer in the mountains) My V8 4runner is much happier when towing.

Either way I'd suggest that you invest in a ScanGuage (or similar) Reader so that you can keep an eye on the Transmission, intake, and oil temps as well as and tire pressures / temps when towing.

I'd also throw out that unless you are set on needing a pickup's open bed you consider the Lexus GX (or 4th gen 4runner) and or the Landcruiser / Lexus LX for the V8 and smaller overall package. All have good to great and getting better, aftermarket overlanding support which I was finding far more limited in the Tundra / Sequoia. That was how I ended up with my 4th Gen.

Boort

Last edited:

Lindenwood

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

New Mexico
First Name
Jay
Last Name
M
Member #

@Lindenwood

I 'd advise going for the Tundra over the Tacoma (My 3.4L Taco does not like towing my Popup trailer in the mountains) My V8 4runner is much happier when towing.

Either way I'd suggest that you invest in a ScanGuage (or similar) Reader so that you can keep an eye on the Transmission, intake, and oil temps as well as and tire pressures / temps when towing.

I'd also throw out that unless you are set on needing a pickup's open bed you consider the Lexus GX (or 4th gen 4runner) and or the Landcruiser / Lexus LX for the V8 and smaller overall package. All have good to great and getting better, aftermarket overlanding support which I was finding far more limited in the Tundra / Sequoia. That was how I ended up with my 4th Gen.

Boort
Great advice on the scangauge! I have one of the bluetooth OBD2 phone apps, but a dedicated (and well-tested and supported) reader would probably be a good thought.

I didnt realize the 4th gens had up to a 7300lb towing capacity! However, I do agree that an SUV is definitely more practical for me. Still, I do think I still like the idea of the 10klb tow capacity of the Tundra (plus the larger GVWR and GCWR). My 3rd gen 4runner weighs 4950lbs with a full tank of gas and no driver, so I assume once I armor up any other mid-sized SUV Id still be probably pushing the weight limits. If I find cab space is wanting, I will probably just throw on a camper shell.

Ben Cleveland

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Nashville, TN, USA
First Name
Ben
Last Name
Cleveland
Member #

@Lindenwood I had a 2nd gen Tacoma that was my baby. For a while it was also my work vehicle when I was a landscaping account manager, and then again my work vehicle at my next job where it towed small trailers for catering events. I towed a good bit with it. I think the most I ever had hooked up on the Tacoma was before I upgraded the suspension, and it was 10ishK pressure washing trailer. I only moved that trailer around a few times within a large commercial property, so no public roads with that load (obviously). Most of the towing I did with it ranged in the 2000-5000 lbs. My observations were:

1) Upgraded suspension with an AAL made towing heavy-ish loads totally fine. That plus heavier duty C rated tires, and it was fine. BUT. It was slooooow, and braking was a bit scary. I knew I could be safe with it, because I knew the truck, and I knew its increased stopping distance. But I never let anybody else tow with it. Ultimately, I'd NEVER go back to that setup for the loads I was towing regularly. And it sounds like I was regularly towing way less than you're going to be towing.

2) Space was a bit of an issue. Just for me, my wife and our dogs. I had a double cab long bed, and it was still barely enough space. I would never go back to that setup for space considerations alone, unless I was single with no pets, and a max of 1 traveling companion.

3) The tacoma was AWESOME offroad. Super nimble. I enjoyed how lightweight it was. It was like a billy goat, it just climbed over things.

Where I've landed? I like having a vehicle with towing capacity, even though I don't really tow like I used to. My 4runner works great for our family now, and the interior space and RTT combo make camping a lot nicer. I miss having a truck bed though, and I wouldn't go back to the Tacoma because it's underpowered, too lightweight for towing and "working", and too small for my preferences. My next vehicle will be a later model Tundra, rear locker, probably with a bed cap, or bed rack. Better interior space, good bed space, much better working load, strong V8. I'm happy with my 4runner and don't plan on changing anytime soon, but if I were in your shoes, the Tundra is the only vehicle I'd be looking at.

Hope my story helps your decision! Also good luck planning that next year with your wife. Sounds like the traveling could be a stress point, its good yall are planning in advance to make sure it works well for you guys.

Note: re-reading this thread again, I remembered something else of note on my Tacoma. I always took care of it, maintained it well, and did NOT drive it hard. That said, after 65K miles with a good mix of in-town towing, I could legitimately tell the toll that took on the transmission. I sold it with roughly 145K on it, and I was at that point expecting to have to rebuild the transmission before 200K. It also had the towing package with the larger transmission cooler etc. But I could just tell the shift points had changed over time, and there was the slightest amount of slippage between shifts. Again, this points to my earlier point. The tacoma is not built as a working, towing vehicle. As much as I towed with it, I think I had pushed it past its optimum use, and there was wear to prove it.

Last edited:

Boort

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Colorado
Member #

Great advice on the scangauge! I have one of the bluetooth OBD2 phone apps, but a dedicated (and well-tested and supported) reader would probably be a good thought.

I didnt realize the 4th gens had up to a 7300lb towing capacity! However, I do agree that an SUV is definitely more practical for me. Still, I do think I still like the idea of the 10klb tow capacity of the Tundra (plus the larger GVWR and GCWR). My 3rd gen 4runner weighs 4950lbs with a full tank of gas and no driver, so I assume once I armor up any other mid-sized SUV Id still be probably pushing the weight limits. If I find cab space is wanting, I will probably just throw on a camper shell.
The Scanguage was one of my first purchases for the 4runner after we burned up the trans in my dad's Ford towing the camper back from the Eclipse in WY last year. (His rig has the "small" v8 and tow package but smoked the Tranny anyways with less than 60k on the odo to boot!)

I plan to stay well below the 7300lb limit. Keeping the armor weight down as I'm not into much rockcrawling, and would prefer to keep the weight for cargo capacity. I can say that she towed the ~3200lb a-frame popup beautifully across 4 states for my 2 week trip to the Sierras this fall. Lots of up and down in CO, UT, NV, and CA along with rain and even snow she handled it all beautifully. LOL that trip brought my average MPG down to 14.2 due to all of the trailer miles in the hills.

6' bed with a Camper shell and light weight full length deck system can't be beat for storage and mobility.

Boort

M715-CBIII

Rank 0

Traveler I

Had an extra cab Tacoma until the second kid came along. Tundra DC size makes it really nice for the four of us and our springer spaniel on the inside. The amount of gear that fits in the bed under the soft cover is more than someone should bring for a month.

You cant really tip-toe-thru-tulips in it, or go down any tight "jeep" trails, but with some decent tires and some off-road driving knowledge it will get someone along ways. Add a rear ARB and an acceptance that it will get scrached and it will go even farther.

Marlowe Fenne

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

We have a 27 foot flying cloud that weighs about 8000 lbs loaded. We tried pulling it with the Landcruiser - not pretty. The F150 pulls it just fine, so I expect the Tundra will do the job well.

I’m not a rock crawler but have done plenty of easy to mid-difficulty trails with 33’s and a little running compound. You’ll love your AS!!!!

Tbell18

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Dubuque, Iowa
Member #

I've got a double cab long bed tacoma that i tow quite frequently with in the summer. I pull everything from a jet ski to a 16' box trailer. The box trailer is essentially a huge sail and the taco works hard every moment that its hooked up to it. Due to a mishap at the dealer i ended up with a tundra for about a week. During that week i pulled the same trailer and while the gas mileage was comparable the entire experience was much better. The only thing my taco did better than the tundra was control the weight on the rear and i would assume that was purely due to the taco having airbags. From my experience with each vehicle id say go with the tundra.

Lindenwood

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

New Mexico
First Name
Jay
Last Name
M
Member #

To follow up, after hours and hours of research, I ended up with an F250!

Other than the F150 Max Tow, I would have been very close or over GCWR and Payload in all the half-ton options--we're talking planned trips at 97+% of GCWR. This is accounting dor vehicle mods (fridge, batteries, etc), armor, gear, and passenger weight. Payload was actually usually even more limiting.

I did really consider the F150 Max Tow (pretty much the same tow rating, but only about 2700lb of payload), but knew Id be close. Plus, I asked on the Ford-trucks forums and everyone universally recommended the F250.

Even though I pretty much chose the variant with the lowest towing capacity (about 12.5k), its 3400lb payload allows for all the aforementioned gear, passengers, and a 1000-1200lb tongue weight without exceeding any limits. Plus it literally has all the same suspension and drivetrain components of other variants rated at up to 10,000lb more GCW, so I liked knowing I have an even bigger margin of safety in most aspects beyond simply staying below the sticker.

It rides like a sherman tank on the trails, but that's nothing a 4-link front,Deaver Leafs and 10" of flexy sidewall won't fix :D .

Also, the wife decided she wants to full-time with me in the Airstream :D . We are hoping to get into a good routine of traveling almost every weekend.

smlobx

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mid Atlantic
First Name
Eddie
Last Name
Fort
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KO4CPL
Towing a big trailer and going on off-road trails are really not compatible.
I agree with the F-250 but it sounds like you're a Toyota fan boy so, let me suggest that you consider a Sequoya (sp?).
Properly set up they are very capable as a towing/off-road compromise.

Lindenwood

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

New Mexico
First Name
Jay
Last Name
M
Member #

Towing a big trailer and going on off-road trails are really not compatible.
I agree with the F-250 but it sounds like you're a Toyota fan boy so, let me suggest that you consider a Sequoya (sp?).
Properly set up they are very capable as a towing/off-road compromise.
If actual half-ton trucks--including the Tundra--were not quite up to my expected loads, then a Sequoiya certainly would have been out of the question :) .

In any case, if it wasnt clear, I already bought the F250.