Ohio
First Name
Samuel
Last Name
August
Member #

4wd-15.jpg
4wd-18.jpg

I have been running this Finn Fab’s Jeep Hood Rack for about a month now.
He does sell hood racks for Toyota’s too for you Toyota guys out there. Mostly I am just wondering your thoughts on it. If you have any questions on it, I can try and answer the best I can. If you want a closer look, here’s Finn’s site.

systemdelete

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Nashville, TN
First Name
Erik
Last Name
Rumbaugh
Member #

Seems pricy for what is essentially a piece of 1/8” steel with a half dozen holes drilled in it and powder coat/paint applied, but I understand many don’t have the mechanical skills to build such things.

Gus2.0

Rank II
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Ohio
First Name
Samuel
Last Name
August
Member #

Seems pricy for what is essentially a piece of 1/8” steel with a half dozen holes drilled in it and powder coat/paint applied, but I understand many don’t have the mechanical skills to build such things.
I understand what you are saying, and you are right. Many people don’t have the skills and I am sure that is who it is marketed too. The ones with the skills will always be able to save some money by doing it diy, if they choose to do so.

grubworm

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

louisiana
First Name
grub
Last Name
worm
Member #

Service Branch
USN-Submarines
i guess offroad is ok, but having stuff mounted right there in front of me might get aggravating driving on the highway...plus the $240 seems a bit much.

Reactions: 64Trvlr

Gus2.0

Rank II
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Ohio
First Name
Samuel
Last Name
August
Member #

i guess offroad is ok, but having stuff mounted right there in front of me might get aggravating driving on the highway...plus the $240 seems a bit much.
Actually you don’t notice it on the highway at all! Doesn’t even move

Reactions: grubworm
S

SubeeBen

Yea $ 240 seems a bit over priced & link does not show pictures of what it actually looks like with recovery boards.

Gus2.0

Rank II
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Ohio
First Name
Samuel
Last Name
August
Member #

Yea $ 240 seems a bit over priced & link does not show pictures of what it actually looks like with recovery boards.
Hey Ben, the link should show what the rack looks like with the boards on, endless you meant without boards? I will be sending Finn Fab a link of this forum so he can see your guys thoughts, thanks for all the feedback!

Reactions: SubeeBen

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

Northeast Oregon, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
Where does the highlift, led light bar, and pioneer kit move to with this rack? I wouldnt call this a rack btw... its more of a recovery board mount. also, what keeps the boards from smacking the windshield when you raise the hood? One last thought, can the windshield still be lowered and strapped down to the hood?

Gus2.0

Rank II
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Ohio
First Name
Samuel
Last Name
August
Member #

Where does the highlift, led light bar, and pioneer kit move to with this rack? I wouldnt call this a rack btw... its more of a recovery board mount. also, what keeps the boards from smacking the windshield when you raise the hood? One last thought, can the windshield still be lowered and strapped down to the hood?
I would say if you have that much on your hood already then this rack isn’t for you. Though all the question you raise would have the same issues with a hilift mounted on your hood. The reason I believe he named it a “hood rack” is because on the Toyota edition it holds more than recovery boards(shovel, hilift, etc).

To answer the question about the boards hitting the windshield when opening the hood, there is actually plenty of room between the windshield and the hood rack. So yes you can open it. Thanks for the question. I was able to test it out.

As far as bringing the windshield down... I have never done that to my Jeep so I have no idea. Maybe a test is in order. I will post photos to show you how it looks.

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

Northeast Oregon, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
When I had my 2006 TJ, I had the Highlift, axe, shovel, and a lightbar mounted to my hood. I drove 90% of the time in the mountains with my windshield down, and I know I am not the only one who prefers the windshield down on the narrow trails out here. thats where my queations stem from is all.

Reactions: RainGoat