Rank V

Influencer II

Lubbock, TX, USA
First Name
Bryan
Last Name
Hildebrand
Member #

Thanks for the tips. So did you camp outside of the park the whole time? Seems like you would have stayed around on the NE side of the park then? Any recommendations on campgrounds - I prefer primitive and don't mind driving as long as it isn't much over an hour.
I found some terrific primitive with fire ring camping about 8-10 mins inside the NE entrance. Hidden in the trees alongside Soda Butte Creek running next to it. About another 5 mins inside is a larger camping area where RV's could fit but no hookups. Outside the NE entrance there are 4 camping areas 2-7 miles east of Cooke City. Def bear in the Pebble Creek/Soda Butte Creek areas in the fall in the valley. Mountain goats and sheep in the Baronette Peak area to the north side of the road.

Reactions: tacoman

ThundahBeagle

Rank V

Advocate I

Massachusetts
First Name
Andrew
Last Name
Beagle
Member #

@Robbie G , @grubworm ,
Are your plans still on for this month?
@Norcalocal ...did you go last month?

My nephew's wedding got moved to May 2021 on account of the COVID issue tightening some things up out there and because they wants the elders of the family to feel comfortable going.

I'm still thinking of making the trip out in October, but that depends on vacation time (can I make 2 trips?) and whether or not it looks like a shutdown might be in effect in Montana by October.

Anyone got any news?

dj_mccomas

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Louisville, KY
First Name
DJ
Last Name
McComas
Member #

@Robbie G , @grubworm ,

My nephew's wedding got moved to May 2021 on account of the COVID issue tightening some things up out there and because they wants the elders of the family to feel comfortable going.

I'm still thinking of making the trip out in October, but that depends on vacation time (can I make 2 trips?) and whether or not it looks like a shutdown might be in effect in Montana by October.

Anyone got any news?
I have a friends there, one is a ranger at the park. We are visiting them next month, some of our friends are visiting them now. Montana doesn't have any traveler quarantine currently. I expect October should be fine unless something changes drastically.

OVRLNDER

US East Region Member Rep, NY
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Orchard Park, NY, USA
First Name
Roland
Last Name
Pigeon
Member #

The wife, our 16 year old daughter, and myself are going to Jackson Hole August 27th. We are driving from Buffalo, NY because the flight restriction coming back to NY. Honestly I'm happy though because I've always wanted to do a cross country trip with the family.

grubworm

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

louisiana
First Name
grub
Last Name
worm
Member #

Service Branch
USN-Submarines
@Robbie G , @grubworm ,

Anyone got any news?
no, we're just sitting tight. i listen to the news and they are constantly telling how the cases are multiplying like crazy and states are seeing worse deaths than before, etc. doesn't sound like a good time to be out and about in unfamiliar territory and that far from the house.

USStrongman

Rank V

Influencer II

Lubbock, TX, USA
First Name
Bryan
Last Name
Hildebrand
Member #

Stop listening to the news. If you plan on traveling to watch a football game live with 15,000 other people, then sure, be concerned. But traveling outside of major metropolitan areas is not an issue. Be smart. Bring everything you need with you. Things are not as bleak as most news outlets let on. They are in the Doom and Gloom business. When did you see a positive and uplifting story on CNN, MSNBC, etc? I traveled to Taos, NM on Fathers day weekend. NM has been hit especially hard. Zero issues. Colorado next month. Expect zero issues.

ThundahBeagle

Rank V

Advocate I

Massachusetts
First Name
Andrew
Last Name
Beagle
Member #

Stop listening to the news. If you plan on traveling to watch a football game live with 15,000 other people, then sure, be concerned. But traveling outside of major metropolitan areas is not an issue. Be smart. Bring everything you need with you. Things are not as bleak as most news outlets let on. They are in the Doom and Gloom business. When did you see a positive and uplifting story on CNN, MSNBC, etc? I traveled to Taos, NM on Fathers day weekend. NM has been hit especially hard. Zero issues. Colorado next month. Expect zero issues.
This is the camp I'm in. During that last big hurricane that decimated Peurto Rico, as it was heading to Fla, I stood there watching the news. The news/weathercaster said Fla had NEVER seen anything like this. Well, I'm old enough to remember a little incident known as hurricane Andrew. If it ain't worse than that, then Fla HAS seen it before. But every generation of newscasters want to be the ones to report on "the big one."

I apply that same thought process to this outbreak, so I started looking up facts. 1968/69 Hong Kong flu was bad like this, and we went on with school. The anti war protests and the civil rights protests carried on. Woodstock happened. Not a mask in sight. And nearly nothing about it in the news.

Having said that, I'm not a gambling man and I believe in being careful. I have a bandana around my neck at all times to raise as needed. Wash hands and face more often. Gargle with mouthwash. Eat reasonably healthy, take your vitamins and have an Airborne every day or every other. Don't french kiss strangers or share dinnerware with them. Keep some distance.

I gotta think, if you cant keep some distance on a road trip/ overland trip, you might now be doing it right.

Unfortunately the wedding has been moved to the spring to make sure any elderly attendees and those with underlying conditions are comfortable, so I understand that.

But I personally wouldnt be afraid traveling across country - especially if you have a travel trailer and are extremely self contained

But I cast no aspersions on those who decide and feel otherwise