Mid-Missouri, MO, USA
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Zimmer
Member #

Service Branch
USN (ret)
Are you referring to Smoke Hole Canyon? That used to be a friend’s favorite area. He was furious when the road back to the campground got paved. Said that would attract all the city slickers.. lol
Picture of Seneca Rocks is above. ^^^ Smoke hole is several miles to the NE.
There is a big campground about 2 miles down from the rocks. Seneca Campground run by the Park Service. Water, electric. Nice campground. Need a cell phone booster. Zero bars. LOL

Zim

K9LTW

Rank IV
Investor

Traveler III

Front Royal, VA
First Name
Casey
Last Name
Arnold
Member #

Picture of Seneca Rocks is above. ^^^ Smoke hole is several miles to the NE.
There is a big campground about 2 miles down from the rocks. Seneca Campground run by the Park Service. Water, electric. Nice campground. Need a cell phone booster. Zero bars. LOL

Zim
A cell booster won't help you. As best as I can recall Seneca is within the National Radio Quiet Zone. You can't boost what isn't there. :grimacing: We're actually headed there this weekend to camp, and I can't wait to be unreachable!

North American Sojourner

Rank VI

Influencer I

Mid-Missouri, MO, USA
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Zimmer
Member #

Service Branch
USN (ret)
A cell booster won't help you. As best as I can recall Seneca is within the National Radio Quiet Zone. You can't boost what isn't there. :grimacing: We're actually headed there this weekend to camp, and I can't wait to be unreachable!
Holy crap. We had a WeBoost and it did work for a day then dropped. Honestly. We did not make calls or text but I did watch some news. I used it in conjunction with my hot spot.
Thanks for that. Did not know. I've been coming to Seneca since 1969. We climbed Thias in 72, one of the longest routes there.
Zim

Reactions: K9LTW

K9LTW

Rank IV
Investor

Traveler III

Front Royal, VA
First Name
Casey
Last Name
Arnold
Member #

Holy crap. We had a WeBoost and it did work for a day then dropped. Honestly. We did not make calls or text but I did watch some news. I used it in conjunction with my hot spot.
Thanks for that. Did not know. I've been coming to Seneca since 1969. We climbed Thias in 72, one of the longest routes there.
Zim
Surprised you got anything, but that, likely, explains the intermittent issue. It’s, certainly, an incredible space. I didn’t live in the area at the time, but a buddy of mine that used to climb there decades ago would tell stories of jets doing training runs through the valley. That would be amazing to watch!

Reactions: Bruce_America

North American Sojourner

Rank VI

Influencer I

Mid-Missouri, MO, USA
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Zimmer
Member #

Service Branch
USN (ret)
Surprised you got anything, but that, likely, explains the intermittent issue. It’s, certainly, an incredible space. I didn’t live in the area at the time, but a buddy of mine that used to climb there decades ago would tell stories of jets doing training runs through the valley. That would be amazing to watch!
All I remember is in 69 we rolled into the little campground at the base of the rocks around midnight. We opened the car door and the smell of pot drifted through the woods with the soft music of Joni Mitchell echoing in the background. LMAO. It was the hippy days for sure.
The brief connection may have been a "shift Change" at the secret shack. LOL
Zim

Seneca was used by the Mountain Troops to train for WWII. We've found very old pitons hammered into the cracks.