WTB: Patriot X1 or Turtleback Expedition for Jeep JKU.... Change my mind???

• HTML tutorial

El Viking

Rank IV

Enthusiast II

New York, NY, USA
First Name
Nathan
Last Name
Christopherson
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
NA2MC
Service Branch
Army
I have a Patriot X1 and I love it. I have taken it on blue to black rated trails without an issue. I would love to upgrade my 2018 for a newer model as I would like to have hot water at the kitchen sink.
TB are nice but I prefer the side kitchen layout.
The order of parts from overseas is a downside but Patriot is opening a US headquarters in 2023.
I believe Patriot HQ is now open for business in Las Vegas. I'm hearing good things about RVs Of America as well.
The first dealer they had in the US was ok, was never overly impressed. I am happy that the headquarters is open, shipping costs for the extras will definitely be cheaper.

theMightyGoose

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate III

San Diego, CA
First Name
Glenn
Last Name
Gossett
Member #

The RTT cover is definitely a pain. I found the trick with main was to lay the cover on top of the tent, start the zipper and then work around pulling the cover down. Hopefully that makes sense, lol.
Once I did this it was fairly simple to put the cover on.
Yeah, that's how we do it. I got it down now, but it's still the hardest part of the takedown. We added a mattress topper which makes the bed a bit taller, and that makes the cover harder to put on. But after three years of trial-and-error, I have a system that makes everything work.

Reactions: El Viking

El Viking

Rank IV

Enthusiast II

New York, NY, USA
First Name
Nathan
Last Name
Christopherson
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
NA2MC
Service Branch
Army
The RTT cover is definitely a pain. I found the trick with main was to lay the cover on top of the tent, start the zipper and then work around pulling the cover down. Hopefully that makes sense, lol.
Once I did this it was fairly simple to put the cover on.
Yeah, that's how we do it. I got it down now, but it's still the hardest part of the takedown. We added a mattress topper which makes the bed a bit taller, and that makes the cover harder to put on. But after three years of trial-and-error, I have a system that makes everything work.
Nice. What mattress topper did you add?

theMightyGoose

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate III

San Diego, CA
First Name
Glenn
Last Name
Gossett
Member #

I don't remember. I was a fairly inexpensive memory foam topper. I think I got it at Costco. It makes a big difference. We sleep much better. Someday I plan to have a custom memory foam mattress made for it.

theMightyGoose

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate III

San Diego, CA
First Name
Glenn
Last Name
Gossett
Member #

If
If you follow Patriot Campers USA's Facebook page, a bunch of people have added memory foam mattress toppers. There are several different recommendations, but they all seem to be about the same I think. Everyone agrees they sleep much better.

Reactions: El Viking

El Viking

Rank IV

Enthusiast II

New York, NY, USA
First Name
Nathan
Last Name
Christopherson
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
NA2MC
Service Branch
Army
If
If you follow Patriot Campers USA's Facebook page, a bunch of people have added memory foam mattress toppers. There are several different recommendations, but they all seem to be about the same I think. Everyone agrees they sleep much better.
Thanks, I will check it out. I follow their IG, will find their FB account.

Reactions: theMightyGoose

archer75

Rank I

Contributor III

Oregon, USA
First Name
Tom
Last Name
Thomas
Looks like turtleback may have gone out of business. Their website now just says they are no longer manufacturing trailers this year due to unforseen circumstances. And they provide an email address for those in need of warranty repair.

theMightyGoose

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate III

San Diego, CA
First Name
Glenn
Last Name
Gossett
Member #

Looks like turtleback may have gone out of business. Their website now just says they are no longer manufacturing trailers this year due to unforseen circumstances. And they provide an email address for those in need of warranty repair.
Yup. They got bought out a little over a year ago. So no idea really what happened. But it does make the decision easier!

cug

Rank II

Enthusiast III

San Jose, CA, USA
First Name
Guido
Last Name
GNE
So, I hope I'm staying within the topic of this thread – I have a Patriot X1 for sale here in the marketplace. Might be interesting since I'm willing to make a great deal if I can get it done before I leave for an extended trip to Europe.