Explorer I

Boksburg, Gauteng, South Africa
First Name
Willie
Last Name
Tennant
Member #

Hi Everyone,

I want to wrap my Jeep with a mat light grey color but im not sure if its an good idea to wrap the vehicle when im love to go overland and 4x4,

So must i must a wrap it or leave it just with the standard factory spray paint?

Attachments

Anders0nic

Rank V
Founder 500
Launch Member
Supporter

Pathfinder I

Benicia, CA
First Name
Anderson
Last Name
Carlisle
Member #

The upside to a vinyl wrap is its ability to be removed quickly to change the look of your vehicle often. It also protects from scratches.

The downside is that it can be costly to have it “installed”. If you leave it on too long the adhesive can potentially damage your factory paint.

I had my last camper shell wrapped to match my truck. I wanted to protect the raw aluminum as well as have it match my truck. I paid far too much to have it performed and the next owner and I peeled it off the day he bought it.

Reactions: RoarinRow

Billiebob

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

earth
First Name
Bill
Last Name
William
Member #

Nothing wrong with a wrap, they sre simple to install in a driveway and most are more resistant to branches than paint.
You need to be an anal retentive to do it yourself.

• Haha
Reactions: RoarinRow

ryanorr280

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Wewoka, Seminole County, Oklahoma, United States
First Name
Ryan
Last Name
Orr
Member #

We put a clear vinyl wrap on our 4Runner. Best decision we made. Did it ourselves, so not perfect.

Our reasoning was to prevent scratches and it does it very well. There are downsides, mostly the cost and the fact you can damage paint if left on too long. But, It’s amazing to hit a narrow trail and have no pinstripes.

for just materials we spent around $8-900. So not terrible if doing it yourself. But it’s a PITA

4Wheelexplorer

Rank V
Launch Member

Navigator I

Pasco, WA, USA
First Name
Bret
Last Name
Overbaugh
Member #

You could also consider having it plasti-dipped, though I am not sure how it will hold up ion the trail, but easy to remove and also change color if you choose. For reference only: DipYourCar - World Famous Peelable Auto Paint. I am not a rep or involved with them. Have seen a couple of jeeps done with it and looked good. Can't speak to level of abuse they give theirs. Just another thought option for protecting the paint. Personally my paint has pinstripes by nature.