Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Portsmouth, NH, USA
First Name
Jimmy
Last Name
Presley
Member #

My LR4 is also my dd. It's about 6 months old now and already showing scratches or pin striping as we call it. I use it but also try to protect it as much as I can. Has anyone tried a wrap for protection? I've asked others with varying responses. Also any idea of cost?

Reactions: Zargon

Zargon

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

My LR4 is also my dd. It's about 6 months old now and already showing scratches or pin striping as we call it. I use it but also try to protect it as much as I can. Has anyone tried a wrap for protection? I've asked others with varying responses. Also any idea of cost?
Not sure about cost, but there are definitely some clear wraps specifically ment to protect the front from Rock chips, and I'm sure they would work for the sides as well, perhaps try to find a local shop who specializes in wraps/paint and get a quote?

Sent from my Nexus 6P using OB Talk mobile app

Reactions: JimmyPresley

Excursioner

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Springfield, Oregon
First Name
Ex
Last Name
Cursioner
Member #

While I can't give any insight on a vehicle wrap, I can make an informed comment about the wrap I have on my drift boat in the picture to the left. I had Coho Designs out of Portland, Oregon do a graphic that looked similar to the Oregon Ducks football helmet from a few years back and then wrapped a 12 mil overwrap that is the same thing as the motocross guys use on their pit/mechanic trailers. I can say that it takes a helluva drag on that overwrap to get down to the base graphic. On the river you are exposed to all sorts of limbs, downed tree with root balls, big rocks etc and I have only torn trough one time and that was at a boat launch where I backed into a railing and drug it up the side of the boat for about 2". So, in short, the clear wraps do work well. They will show small indentions in the wrap vinyl but should protect the base paint pretty well. As for cost, my entire wrap was $1100 but most of that was the design of the graphic underwrap so, say $550 ish for the protective wrap would be an approximate cost. The thickness is the key though, so don't scrimp on that if you go this direction.

Tom Burnet

Rank VI
Launch Member

Expedition Master I

Rhyl, Denbighshire, Wales, United Kingdom
First Name
Tom
Last Name
Burnet
Member #

Wrap would work well. I don't know about your side of the pond, but our side here 3M is one of the best products on the market & well worth considering. Check out their clear coating, the front of my Civic has this on and its protected it no end. Something I've thought about for my Rig, but I don't see the point on and old beat up Disco 1.
As said previous, Plasti Dip wouldn't protect at all.

Jelorian

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

SF Bay Area, CA
Member #

Plus 1 on the 3M stuff. I had a clear bra on the front end my 06 Tundra and it protected it very well. You can actually buy it in sheets, but it does take some skill to apply properly. I had it done by a professional and just watching him, I knew there was no way I would be able to do it myself.

Last edited: