Moncks Corner, SC, USA
First Name
Joe
Last Name
Neacosia
Member #

Service Branch
Navy Veteran
Who has replaced their head unit ( radio) in their WJ Grand Cherokee with keeping existing speakers and Amps? I want to upgrade to blue tooth or a head unit with more features.

Laud

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer I

Southeast Arlington TX
First Name
Laud
Last Name
Maroney
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
-KG5QHC-
Service Branch
Air Force and Army
I kept the original AM-FM-Cassette-CD-Changer and added an AUX IN through the Changer output.

Laud

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer I

Southeast Arlington TX
First Name
Laud
Last Name
Maroney
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
-KG5QHC-
Service Branch
Air Force and Army
Did it myself about 5 years ago. Lots of write-ups on how to. Took about an hour. Just some simple soldering and mounting a line in plug from RatShak.

Reactions: offroadinclined

KonzaLander

Rank VI

Traveler II

Junction City, Kansas, USA
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE0EBF
The RB1 (navigation) head unit seems to send a better audio signal than the AM/FM/CD/Tape unit. I noticed a dramatic improvement in audio quality in my TJ when I upgraded to an RB1. You should be able to find one pretty cheap these days with a bad disc reader. You won't have Nav or CD function with one that has a bad disc reader, but still get the improved audio output with your wired input/bluetooth device.

If you want to go with an aftermarket radio, you are limited to a 1DIN radio with a fit-kit for the WJ dash. Digital Media Receivers generally have all the functions you could want on a headunit with a reasonable price tag, they just don't have a CD player.

Reactions: offroadinclined

Atom_Bomb

Rank II
Launch Member

Contributor III

First Name
Adam
Last Name
Bustillos
Member #

I have a Pioneer DEH-X6700BT that I bought from Crutchfield. Super easy install and routed the Bluetooth mic at the top of the A-pillar. I sold the RB1 on Ebay for more money than the cost of the head unit. I commute a lot and I use it every minute of my commute, listening to podcasts, Pandora and making calls over phone and other voice apps. I installed a newer version DEH-X6800BS into my friends car last year and she loves it too.