Daniel
Last Name
Montelbetti
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
HAM - KN6TKY & GMRS - WRQT727
Service Branch
FIRE/EMS
With winter fast approaching I’m wondering what comes out and what goes in for winter/snow camping/recovery.. I haven’t seen it talked about much and think it would be good to see peoples approach to this.. chains being obvious lol we pack a bunch of hand warmers, toss muck boots in the recovery box and extra snacks and waters. May be along time before help arrives vrs summer. Just some thoughts…

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

Northeast Oregon, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
My recovery gear doesn’t change with the seasons… what does change is my emergency gear.

My Recovery Gear List:
Shovel
Axe
Hi-Lift Jack
Two 25’ Logger Chains
100’ 1/2 wire rope
Two 50’ conetic (sp) recovery ropes
Hard shackles
Soft Shackles
Leather gloves
Muck Boots

Solar Spider

Rank II

Enthusiast I

Alberta, Canada
First Name
Brad
Last Name
Caspick
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
VA6BRD
Come the colder months I always have an old parka an extra toque and a couple pairs of winter gloves as everyday carry in the pickup, aside from that my standard recovery equipment is always in the truck.

Winch
Snatch rings
Hard shackles
Soft shackles
Tree saver
Axe
shovel

plans to add recovery boards and a winch line extension at the least.

Uniquely Us Adventures

Rank VIII

Pathfinder I

Sacramento, California, United States
First Name
Daniel
Last Name
Montelbetti
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Service Branch
FIRE/EMS
My recovery gear doesn’t change with the seasons… what does change is my emergency gear.

My Recovery Gear List:
Shovel
Axe
Hi-Lift Jack
Two 25’ Logger Chains
100’ 1/2 wire rope
Two 50’ conetic (sp) recovery ropes
Hard shackles
Soft Shackles
Leather gloves
Muck Boots
Muck boots are game changing when you have to shovel out in the deep snow. I swap my summer shovel out for a more snow type shovel that Collapses I bough. It’s meant for mountaineering but it’s a great snow recovery shovel. Like this..

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

Northeast Oregon, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
Muck boots are game changing when you have to shovel out in the deep snow. I swap my summer shovel out for a more snow type shovel that Collapses I bough. It’s meant for mountaineering but it’s a great snow recovery shovel. Like this..

I use the same shovel all winter… muck boots stay in my recovery gear year round because, “Ya never know” when you’re going to be hip deep in the gunk trying to pull some one out, or running a safety line.

OTH Overland

Local Expert Washington, USA
Investor

Trail Blazer III

Camano Island, WA, USA
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Ballard
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N7XQP
Service Branch
Fire/EMS/SAR
I have a dedicated small tarp with my recover gear so I can slide under a rig in mud/sand/snow and avoid getting wet/itchy etc. Also have a set of work pants / shirt for the big or messy recoveries or repairs, keeps the regular clothing clean to reduce time between laundry days and the interior of the rig cleaner. Carry heavy V bar chains in the winter (but have not used them in years) have lightweight set of cables for long winter trips where the local police may require chains for mountain passes as not all states have an exception for all wheel drive vehicles during chains required mandates (do not want to wear out heavy iron on the highway)

KAIONE

Rank V
Investor

Advocate I

Vancouver, WA, USA
First Name
Kanak
Last Name
Attack
Member #

My gear doesn’t change much, more the accessories to help me complete a task in poor weather conditions. I’m in the PNW so I add a small tarp with guyouts attached at the corners for a quick shelter that I tie off from my roof rack to the ground. If I need to shovel or work on a tire etc, I’m not getting soaked. A snow shovel. A fire log. I switch out my gloves to an insulated pair, add some shoe chains. I do carry all my traction boards for sure, summertime I usually carry only two.

Safe travels

Uniquely Us Adventures

Rank VIII

Pathfinder I

Sacramento, California, United States
First Name
Daniel
Last Name
Montelbetti
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Service Branch
FIRE/EMS
My gear doesn’t change much, more the accessories to help me complete a task in poor weather conditions. I’m in the PNW so I add a small tarp with guyouts attached at the corners for a quick shelter that I tie off from my roof rack to the ground. If I need to shovel or work on a tire etc, I’m not getting soaked. A snow shovel. A fire log. I switch out my gloves to an insulated pair, add some shoe chains. I do carry all my traction boards for sure, summertime I usually carry only two. Safe travels
Good idea on extra traction boards.. I’m jealous of you being in the PNW.. we are heading to Washington for a week to hit all the National Parks in the second week of October. Can’t wait hoping the weather won’t be too bad.. not sure what to expect.. should be an adventure!!

Reactions: KAIONE

KAIONE

Rank V
Investor

Advocate I

Vancouver, WA, USA
First Name
Kanak
Last Name
Attack
Member #

My gear doesn’t change much, more the accessories to help me complete a task in poor weather conditions. I’m in the PNW so I add a small tarp with guyouts attached at the corners for a quick shelter that I tie off from my roof rack to the ground. If I need to shovel or work on a tire etc, I’m not getting soaked. A snow shovel. A fire log. I switch out my gloves to an insulated pair, add some shoe chains. I do carry all my traction boards for sure, summertime I usually carry only two. Safe travels
Good idea on extra traction boards.. I’m jealous of you being in the PNW.. we are heading to Washington for a week to hit all the National Parks in the second week of October. Can’t wait hoping the weather won’t be too bad.. not sure what to expect.. should be an adventure!!
Weather reports here are decent. I think looking at doplar really helps. If anything is rolling in from the coast or coming from the Midwest it’s usually pretty visible. I hope it’s nice for you and wish you the best of luck! There’s a ton to do, so either way I know the fun can be had!! Safe travels!