First Name
Dave
Last Name
Spinks
Member #

Service Branch
Royal Navy Veteran
88009524_3094438080580656_8832227737415450624_n.jpg

So winter has arrived and for many this seems to be the time when camping stops and staying at home is the order of the day.

But it doesn't need to be. We head out throughout the year, always have done and with a little extra preparation there is no reason why a winter trip cant be great fun. On my return trip from Mongolia I was forced to camp in a roof tent in -14. Sure it was cold but it was still a great experience. When I used to climb mountains in winter I thought nothing of camping in -8 close to the start of a climb to ensure an early start.

Winter gives new perspectives on routes you have completed or areas you have camped in the past during summer. A day out with other members can be great fun, even if not camping. In the past we have spent a day driving the snow roads in Aberdeenshire.

Members still get together, see the Rally Point for New Years Eve. So don't let your overlanding trips be based around seasons, a roaring campfire in winter under the stars is something to behold. In the likes of Scandinavia winter doesn't shut down camping, it just causes a re-adjustment and change of mentality and you can be back out once again.

So don't hang up your tyres waiting for spring. Get a trip arranged, announce it on the forums and social media pages and create a Rally Point. Its the best way to get the most from your membership and make sure your overlanding isn't a game of two halves.

The picture is the New Year North Coast 500 trip a few years ago pre covid and shows members getting together. We broke down about an hour before the picture was taken sadly so didnt make it to the end.

caspoint220

local Expert, West Europe
Launch Member

Steward I

Biblical Garden, Elgin, Scotland IV30 1HU, United Kingdom
First Name
Steve
Last Name
W
Member #

That was a mega trip!!!!

Having Wilson break down was a great addition :fearscream::innocent::sweatsmile::sweatsmile::sweatsmile:

For any new browsing members, here's a link to my thread with all the photos (winter included!) Daryl Dmax

Completely agree with Daves message above, although I am a strange breed, I prefer being in austere conditions!

Cant wait to get back to UK and get out!

Tim

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Oxford, UK
First Name
Tim
Last Name
Lunn
Member #

Great timing! Just been thinking about getting away over the winter months. May be looking at trying a swag… smaller space to keep warm and all that. No heater, good sleeping bag and a few extra blankets. Just keeping it simple… although I hear electric blankets work well!

Coldest trip so far… probably the -2C at the Adventure Overland Show. It was warmer in the fridge!

Polaris Overland

Ambassador, Europe

Pioneer I

Newtonhill, Stonehaven, Aberdeenshire, UK
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Spinks
Member #

Service Branch
Royal Navy Veteran
Great timing! Just been thinking about getting away over the winter months. May be looking at trying a swag… smaller space to keep warm and all that. No heater, good sleeping bag and a few extra blankets. Just keeping it simple… although I hear electric blankets work well!

Coldest trip so far… probably the -2C at the Adventure Overland Show. It was warmer in the fridge!
To be fair the damp associated with -2 makes it more of a challenge than a dry -14 cold.

Reactions: El-Dracho and Tim

APAxCAD

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

kincorth, Aberdeen
First Name
David
Last Name
Sutherland
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
AB125
Am ready for winter camping. The Aberdeenshire snow roads are the closest you'll to an artic tundra in UK, If your lucky you can get high wind events covering roads with drifts before the snow ploughs can clear them, lots of potential for extreme camping and having fun in 4x4.

Reactions: Polaris Overland

Polaris Overland

Ambassador, Europe

Pioneer I

Newtonhill, Stonehaven, Aberdeenshire, UK
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Spinks
Member #

Service Branch
Royal Navy Veteran
Am ready for winter camping. The Aberdeenshire snow roads are the closest you'll to an artic tundra in UK, If your lucky you can get high wind events covering roads with drifts before the snow ploughs can clear them, lots of potential for extreme camping and having fun in 4x4.
51520563_2257138271234626_5924901041165303808_n.jpg

Angela hiding from the wind on the OB Snow Roads Trip