Launch Member

Traveler I

Hamilton Ontario Canada
First Name
Chris
Last Name
W
Member #

Great setup man! We've got an esker 10x10 classic. No buddy heater tho, I just wake up every few hours to feed the fire. The coldest we've camped is around -40C. Me, my wife and our two miniature poodles, nothing can stop us year round! :)

ovrlndr

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Denver, CO, USA
First Name
Jason
Last Name
Broom
Member #

Agree on breed variables. Mine is hot when temps are over freezing, and well never cold. And honestly hard to coax into a tent. He’d rather be outdoors sleeping regardless of weather. If it rains he will crawl under the truck to stay dry. I used to set up the annex for him. But he’d just wine to be left out.

View attachment 76425
I think you’ve got yourself a dire wolf, there.

MtnManAlex

Rank IV

Pathfinder I

This thread ended up fun and informative.

We got caught around Moab 2 years ago when the weather report said low 30s at night and I woke up frozen to 18 degrees at 5am. It was cold enough to freeze most of my 7 gallon water cube. She has an REI magma bag and was layered up to her winter coat, but since then the wife has been unenthusiastic for winter camping.

I have heard the warm water bottle trick and it sounds like it’ll make a cozy sleeping bag at the beginning of the night. I don’t doubt the propane heater setup can work, but we’ll probably skip it for the fire hazard and carbon monoxide risk. Our dogs help a little.

IMG_1355.JPG
IMG_0953.JPG

As a scout I remember building igloos and sleeping then in below 0 temperatures at Camp Hale. It was so warm in the tiny igloo I ended up sleeping on top of my bag part of the night. Maybe the best idea is no tent!

Overall, it’s good to know the comfort limits of our equipment. With what we have now, the next step will probably have to be a hot tent if I can find an affordable used one or a <2000lb trailer or pop up with an electric heater. (They make those, right?)

Plasmajab

Rank IV

Off-Road Ranger I

Quinte West, Ontario, Canada
First Name
Ian
Last Name
Howard
Ham/GMRS Callsign
VA3IRA
Ahh winter camping. We do that LOTS. In places penguins dont talk about.

https://www.herooutdoors.com/canadian-military-issue-6-piece-sleeping-system-w-hood-bug-bar-used/

This is what you need, and what we use. Good to -35'c no problem. The trick to this thing is to sleep with minimal clothing so your sweat is transfered to the liner. Why are there two bags? If you get to hot you can unzip the outer and tuck it under you for more insulation so you dont overheat. Luxurious goose down sleeping bags. Dont roll them when you stuff them in the valise (the carrier bag) as that will compress the down. Grab and stuff is the proper storage method. But of chapstick or candle wax on the zippers and they will last a lifetime. Dry clean only. Sleep with minimal clothing. None is best.

And yes. Smaller tent is less to warm. But remember you need some breathability. Condensation in a cold tent is somewhat bad. We typically use a small 2 burner coleman stove and lantern (naptha) to take the edge off.

Remember COLD:

Clean clothing,
Avoid Overheating
Loose, layered clothing.
Dry

Nickzero

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Greenville, SC, USA
First Name
Nicholas
Last Name
Dugdale
Member #

I am not a fan of the idea of putting a Mr. Buddy heater inside a small enclosed space that people will be in, especially sleeping in, for carbon monoxide reasons and for fire hazard reasons.

I agree with this!! I have had debates in the past with others using the propane buddy heaters in their RTT's. Staying warm is a big concern especially in freezing temps. However there are many other ways to stay warm during the winter. I would NOT risk the hazards of death or fire over a propane run heater where I sleep. Thats just asking for a problem! Solid advice.

Reactions: MtnManAlex

TerryD

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Covington, Virginia, USA
First Name
Terry
Last Name
R
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KT4OZ
The only thing that concerns me about heaters is the idea that you will dress for the temperature the heater puts out, which is fine.. but if the heater fails into the night (electric/gas) while your sleeping, that 'was warm' sleeping arrangements will change quickly and could get serious dependent on ambient temperature. I would much rather take a small wood stove like mentioned due to their ability to retain heat.
This got me last year. I camped out with a fellow member and ham for a QSO party in March. We set up in about 6" of snow on a mountain and put up our antennas and worked the party. At bed time, I was on an air mattress in a huge tent. My heater wouldn't stay running and I thought I was going to freeze. I had enough body heat to stay alive but man was I freezing. I'm currently shopping for things to up-grade my cold weather setup. I've been looking at some sleeping pads that have high R ratings. I found a Thermarest that's 4" thick and has a R value of over 11. It will be my birthday gift to myself next month. I also want to get a few good blankets to carry with me as well. I have some old quilts I've inherited from family that do a good job, but would like a few options that I am more comfortable taking out into the woods rather than stuff my grand parents made.

amenges45

Rank II

Enthusiast III

clayton north carolina
First Name
Ash
Last Name
Menges
Take a digital monitor with you for your sleeping area and use a buddy heater or similar type with a 20lb bottle stored outside the tent. You will be safe from carbon monoxide and toasty warm. It’s worked for me for years.
I have a little battery powered monitor I got on amazon and it goes on the tent floor near my head and I crank up the heat before I go to bed so everything is nice and comfy. I turn it down to the low setting for sleeping to cut the chill down. I keep the control within reach so I can crank it up as I wake up and get every thing toasty again.
Totally agree...same experience. They work great![emoji1]

amenges45

Rank II

Enthusiast III

clayton north carolina
First Name
Ash
Last Name
Menges
Totally agree...same experience. They work great![emoji1]
We have used the big buddy Heater in our ground tent as well as the Conqueror 490 tent during cold weather camping. Propane does add some condensation to any tent or enclosed space..... So does breathing. Second to a wood stove it's the best thing we found. It's worked well down to 20 degrees Fahrenheit. Add 2 dogs and you're snug! If you are worried about monoxide just ventilate a bit. It's not as big a deal as people are speculating about. Most tents are porous anyway. If you are completely covered with snow that's another issue, so is being in an air tight container like a van. For a tent it's not such a concern.

Last edited:
Reactions: Drifterman

amenges45

Rank II

Enthusiast III

clayton north carolina
First Name
Ash
Last Name
Menges
In my experience, the discomfort you were feeling was due to the air mattress. If you continue to use the air mattress, try to get a reflective barrier between your bag and the mattress. I use something like this when I am on our air mattress or in my hammock....will change your life in the cold

Cendee

SE Member Representative
Launch Member
Supporter

Influencer III

West Haven, UT, USA
First Name
Cendee
Last Name
Bjerregaard
Member #

Check out www.snowtrekkertents.com
Lightweight, quality canvas that will last a lifetime. Windows and screen doors are options.

www.kni-co.com makes woodstoves.

I am looking for a way to make winter camping more tolerable for the wife, dogs, and myself. We’ve survived down to 18 degrees with our current setup, but it was miserable.

Is there any practical way to heat a large tent?

Electric heater: too big of a draw on car battery. Is there a battery setup or small generator that would make this work?

Gas/propane heater: increased risk of death. I know many of these heaters have oxygen sensors, but most of these are not rated for high elevation (7,000’+). Is anyone using a gas heater?

Stove tent/teepee: most of these seem wretchedly expensive—especially when the stove is added too. None appear geodesic (solid for wind/snow) and many don’t appear to have a floor or bug nets on doors and windows. What should I know about these tents? Is there a product you’d recommend?

Thanks for all of your knowledge and help!
View attachment 70713

I love winter camping and staying warm. Here is what I use.

https://www.jackery.com/product/explorer-240/

https://www.dickssportinggoods.com/p/field-stream-fairbanks-20deg-sleeping-bag-15fnsufsfrbnks20fcsl/15fnsufsfrbnks20fcsl?camp=CSE:DSG_pg1052164476_ecom_PLA_452&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIhvyJyOqV4AIVCZ-fCh2z8woNEAQYASABEgIBYfD_BwE

That little Jackery will run my electric blanket all night long, then plug in to cigarette lighter to charge or buy the solar panel. I also found that a good rated sleeping bag is a must. I love the Field and Stream Canvas, its so comfortable and roomy. I stay toasty warm all night without worrying about a dead battery or risk of death. Jackery.jpg IMG_20190119_064715.jpg

NoMoreGreen

Rank III

Enthusiast III

Mckinney Texas
First Name
Robert
Last Name
Redacted
Member #

Someone asked about a heated mattress earlier in the thread. Perhaps a goal zero battery and a heated mattress pad would suffice. I use heated mattress pads at home and prefer them over blankets.