Launch Member

Contributor I

Boston, MA, USA
First Name
Kyle
Last Name
Santorine
Member #

Have a 2018 F150 XLT 4x4. Struggling to find winch/bumper options that don't add (what feels like) a foot to the front of the truck. I feel as though ive scoured the internet, and there aren't that many options aside from just biting the bullet and adding the length.

Figured it couldnt hurt to ask if someone here knows of any solutions.

Thanks in advance!

Instagram: f150_overland

Reactions: PonoAdventures

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

Northeast Oregon, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
Have a 2018 F150 XLT 4x4. Struggling to find winch/bumper options that don't add (what feels like) a foot to the front of the truck. I feel as though ive scoured the internet, and there aren't that many options aside from just biting the bullet and adding the length.

Figured it couldnt hurt to ask if someone here knows of any solutions.

Thanks in advance!

Instagram: f150_overland
Look into “stock hidden winch mount” it especially is a winch cradle that mounts behind the stock bumper.

Reactions: Sparksalot

df150

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Canada
First Name
Denis
Last Name
G
Member #

Rough Country makes hidden winch mount, no eco boost engine.v8 only.
I went with Westin Hdx Grill Guard winch mount on my F150,have not got the winch yet.

Reactions: JRW4x4

PonoAdventures

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate I

Orange County, CA
First Name
Jason
Last Name
Nguyen
Member #

If you have an Ecoboost, you're going to have to buy the intercooler relocation kit. I'm looking into doing that eventually.

Boostpowered

Rank VI

Member III

Hunt county, TX, USA
First Name
Justin
Last Name
Davis
Member #

Put a winch in a reciver cradle and stick it in the tow hitch on the rear, run wires to rear with quick dissconnects. Im sure curt mfg sells front hitches for your truck.

Longshot270

Rank V
Launch Member

Experimenter I

DFW, TX
First Name
Colby
Last Name
M
Member #

Put a winch in a reciver cradle and stick it in the tow hitch on the rear, run wires to rear with quick dissconnects. Im sure curt mfg sells front hitches for your truck.
I second this. Did it for my 3500 pound utility winch and it has come in handy multiple times. Not for highway use but it did great pulling a broken down and forgotten garden tractor out of the sand and into my utility trailer and moving fallen trees at camp sites. The leads are not permanently mounted in the truck so I can use it on other vehicles.20191208_152333.jpeg

bmward64

Rank 0

Contributor I

Pennsylvania, USA
First Name
Blair
Last Name
Ward
If you have an Ecoboost, you're going to have to buy the intercooler relocation kit. I'm looking into doing that eventually.
I unfortunately have the 2.7 EcoBoost. Love the engine, but didn't think about the winch problem until after I bought it.

Is there a specific relocation kit that you're looking at? I'd like to do this too.

PonoAdventures

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate I

Orange County, CA
First Name
Jason
Last Name
Nguyen
Member #

I unfortunately have the 2.7 EcoBoost. Love the engine, but didn't think about the winch problem until after I bought it.

Is there a specific relocation kit that you're looking at? I'd like to do this too.
Full race intercooler relocation kit is the one I’m looking at right now.

The front of my truck is my big upgrade I’m saving money for currently. I plan on doing the relocation, bumper, winch, light bar, and maybe change the grill (hate the Lariat design) all at once.

bmward64

Rank 0

Contributor I

Pennsylvania, USA
First Name
Blair
Last Name
Ward
Full race intercooler relocation kit is the one I’m looking at right now.

The front of my truck is my big upgrade I’m saving money for currently. I plan on doing the relocation, bumper, winch, light bar, and maybe change the grill (hate the Lariat design) all at once.
That's the one I found and was leaning towards too. Man, expensive.

Another question. Can this be done relatively easily at home?

PonoAdventures

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate I

Orange County, CA
First Name
Jason
Last Name
Nguyen
Member #

That's the one I found and was leaning towards too. Man, expensive.

Another question. Can this be done relatively easily at home?
Agreed. It is a pain that they put the CAC so low. I didn't know about this issue until I started looking into a winch.

It depends. If you have good car knowledge it should be relatively straight forward. Even with little, as long as you have the right tools and follow the instructions, it shouldn't be too hard. I'm fortunate that my in-laws have a shop, so I'm going to bring my truck their and use their tools since they have more and hands to make it easier. It'll take several hours but I think you can easily do it at home.

bmward64

Rank 0

Contributor I

Pennsylvania, USA
First Name
Blair
Last Name
Ward
Agreed. It is a pain that they put the CAC so low. I didn't know about this issue until I started looking into a winch.

It depends. If you have good car knowledge it should be relatively straight forward. Even with little, as long as you have the right tools and follow the instructions, it shouldn't be too hard. I'm fortunate that my in-laws have a shop, so I'm going to bring my truck their and use their tools since they have more and hands to make it easier. It'll take several hours but I think you can easily do it at home.
I’ve got a buddy that will help out. Thanks.

Reactions: PonoAdventures

Raul B

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Kyle, Hays County, Texas, United States
First Name
Raul
Last Name
Banuelos
Member #

your going to have to relocate your intercooler if you want something hidden or a bumper that doesn't stick out a foot. I have a 5.0L but I also didn't like any of the bumpers out there so I had Mercenary offroad build mine so its nice and tucked away..3fefe6929b2c90b1605ff096d7cdf1af.jpg

GetOverIt

Rank I
Launch Member

Member I

Regina, Saskatchewan.
First Name
Mark
Last Name
Gibson
Member #

First of all, Thank you to all who posted here. I really did not want to put a big ass bumper on my truck but want a winch option. I had no idea there were hidden winch mounts until I read this thread!
Not sure if this a different question or not? I'm trying to decide if I should mount my winch on the front of my '13 Silverado using the Hidden Winch mount, $200 OR put a front receiver on and mount the winch to a plate so I can use it front or rear?( About $300 so no big deal.
The winch is a Smittybilt XRC 9500. It was a bit of an impulse buy @$350 but it was on sale, yada yada. It should be enough for me as I'm not rock crawling or loading the truck up much. Basic overlanding, probably more trail than anything else.
If it goes on the front. it's a little cheaper and out of the way. But would i regret not having the rear option?

Mark