Will I need Jerry Cans?

• HTML tutorial

jeepwillikers

Rank I

Traveler I

Heading out to Utah in late May and I’m wondering if I am going to need extra fuel. I’m trying to keep the rig as light as possible and considering forgoing the Jerry can. I have a Jeep Tj with a 19 gallon tank and it gets a little over 16 mpg. We will be mostly around Moab although we may head to Salt Lake and hit some of the National Parks. Will I be able to get away with a smaller gas can or no spare gas at all, or is that ill advised?

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk

Reactions: Russell Peters

Kent R

Executive Director
Staff member
Mod Team

Pathfinder III

El Dorado, Ca
First Name
Kent
Last Name
Reynolds
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6KNT
Service Branch
Retired Firefighter
The one thing I always pack it some extra fuel it is great insurance and you never know you might be able to help someone stuck on the trail out of fuel.

Reactions: John~SWNM

Mike W

US MidWest Region Local Expert
Staff member
Investor

Expedition Master III

Iowa, USA
First Name
Mike
Last Name
IowaLR4
Member #

for me it is more about how I am going to carry my water.

Etoimos

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Peyton, CO
First Name
Keith
Last Name
Upton
Member #

Are you staying in the back country are returning to civilization at the end of each day? If the latter, you should be fine. Even crawling you should be able to manage 250+ miles on a tank. Planning on runs longer than that?

jeepwillikers

Rank I

Traveler I

I decided I will bring a 5 gallon Jerry along stowed on the roof but it will remain empty for freeway driving and I’ll just fill it up if I think I’ll need it.

jeepwillikers

Rank I

Traveler I

It worked out great. I needed extra gas twice while heading into the backcountry, so I filled up my Jerry before leaving town and emptied it as soon as there was enough room in my tank. I made sure to vent it any time we stopped for a long period of time or changed altitude or temperature dramatically. I have the metal jerry that they sell at Harbor Freight (minus the useless “no-spill” spout) and the seals held up fine for my use. I used one ratchet strap to hold it in place on my roof cargo rack and I barely noticed it while it was full.

Reactions: 12C20