Nigel90TDCI

Rank I

Contributor III

Worcestershire, UK
First Name
Nigel
Last Name
Ralph
Hello! I'm fairly new to Overland Bound so here's my first thread!
Our overland club are planning a trip to Ieland to complete the first half (North to South) of the Wlid Atlantic Way.

We are looking for any pointers, places we should see, routes we should travel (some off road to would be cool!) And any coll camping spots/campsites we should consider!

Would be great to hear from anyone with advise!

Thanks all!

Reactions: El-Dracho

El-Dracho

Ambassador, Europe
Supporter
Investor

Inventor I

Lampertheim, Germany
First Name
Bjoern
Last Name
Eldracher
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
DO3BE
Hi Nigel,

Welcome on board!

Ireland is a fantastic country for overlanders. I enjoyed travelling there very much. Stunning landscapes, great people, quiet, relaxed, friendly. But it's been ten years since I was last there, so the tips would no longer be up to date.

Back then we drove around the island. We started in the east coming Wales with the ferry from Holyhead to Dublin. That would probably be a good option for you too, wouldn't it? Then we drove clockwise around up to Northern Ireland and took the ferry from Belfast to Stranear. I remember the Wicklow National Park with its beautiful landscapes not far from Dublin. And of course the many old castles, rugged coastlines, small cosy villages and beautiful gardens. We followed the Wild Atlantic Way in the west of the island. We just drove without a real destination, stopping here and there, because there is a lot to see, a fantastic coastal landscape. The Causeway Coastal Route in the north was also great. Mabe you could inlcude that one in your route planning?

I think our members from the UK can probably help you even better. I guess that Dave @Polaris Overland could give you a lot of good and helpful information or will be able to point you to someone who knows Ireland well.

I wish you already know a pleasant journey,
Bjoern

Reactions: Nigel90TDCI

MuckSavage

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

South Jersey, NJ, USA
First Name
Tim
Last Name
McG
Member #

Perhaps check out the website for Celtic Rider. It's a motorcycle rental/tour company. Also, look at their youtube channel for ideas. Maybe some of their tour itineraries are listed somewhere?

Reactions: Nigel90TDCI