Last Name
Lee
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6YKV
Service Branch
Army & Marine Corps
Hey Guys,

I've been thinking about fitting a roof rack on the Compass.
I've mostly been looking at Frontrunner cause it's pretty well known (i guess). couldn't really find a rack for the compass in the vehicle search section so i measured the roof rails on the Jeep.

Its about 1200mm long (the flat section) and 1090mm wide (outside of the rails). The roof is fitted with "flush rails" (the ones you cant strap anything around).

Don't want anything too expensive because its only a temporary vehicle and in a few years will probably get something else and it would be nice to reuse the rack (i'll sell it if not possible)

Would love some more info and pros and cons about the different kinds, and ofcourse general advice about roof racks since i don't know anything about that stuff..

THANKS!!
Before I got my roof rack I researched almost everyone of them. I decided to go with the Front Runner full-size for my 5th gen 4Runner. Initially I decided on the Front Runner because there was zero lead time, plus I know a few people that had them and loved them. Next I found that almost all the other racks, you had to have proprietary accessory mounts that add up to boo, boo bucks.. With the Front Runner rack it isn't like that. I have make several mounts for my rack out of scrap metal and M8 nut & bolts from my garage. Last but not least the Front Runner rack cost for what you get, in my opinion was great! Take this for what it's worth.

TM Overland

Rank II
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Los Angeles, CA, USA
First Name
Tom
Last Name
Pula
Before I got my roof rack I researched almost everyone of them. I decided to go with the Front Runner full-size for my 5th gen 4Runner. Initially I decided on the Front Runner because there was zero lead time, plus I know a few people that had them and loved them. Next I found that almost all the other racks, you had to have proprietary accessory mounts that add up to boo, boo bucks.. With the Front Runner rack it isn't like that. I have make several mounts for my rack out of scrap metal and M8 nut & bolts from my garage. Last but not least the Front Runner rack cost for what you get, in my opinion was great! Take this for what it's worth.
Good to hear about the Frontrunner. Ive been looking for something for my 5th gen and am really impressed with this one and its flexibility. I'd love to hear any other experiences you have on yours. You know, by the way, I think I met you at Overland Expo West in May...

Reactions: Magic Mike

Magic Mike

US Full-time/Long Term Travel Ambassador
Launch Member

Expedition Master I

Rapid City, South Dakota, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Lee
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6YKV
Service Branch
Army & Marine Corps
Good to hear about the Frontrunner. Ive been looking for something for my 5th gen and am really impressed with this one and its flexibility. I'd love to hear any other experiences you have on yours. You know, by the way, I think I met you at Overland Expo West in May...
Gotta tell you I absolutely love my Front Runner. I've got the full length rack and would not change it for anything. First off the price is fairly good, second it ships and arrives super fast (I hate waiting) and it doesn't require any proprietary accessory mounts. I've pretty much made all my own mount for my hi-lift, CB antenna and MAXTRAX... So in my opinion you can't go wrong with Front Runner..

Yeah I'm pretty sure we did meet at Expo...

Reactions: TM Overland

TM Overland

Rank II
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Los Angeles, CA, USA
First Name
Tom
Last Name
Pula
Gotta tell you I absolutely love my Front Runner. I've got the full length rack and would not change it for anything. First off the price is fairly good, second it ships and arrives super fast (I hate waiting) and it doesn't require any proprietary accessory mounts. I've pretty much made all my own mount for my hi-lift, CB antenna and MAXTRAX... So in my opinion you can't go wrong with Front Runner..

Yeah I'm pretty sure we did meet at Expo...

Well, I live about 20 minutes away from Frontrunner's shop, so my delivery would be even faster! I'll trot my 4Runner in so they can look over what I've got and give me pointers...

Reactions: 76_overlander

Laurensvh

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Beerse, België
First Name
Laurens
Last Name
Hemeldonck
Member #

The roofrack issue has finally been solved!
went for rhinorack crossbars with steel mesh platform.
Decent pricing and easy to adjust and use on future vehicle(s)

IMG-20191021-WA0001.jpeg
IMG-20191021-WA0000.jpeg

Reactions: MarkD