Investor

Pathfinder II

King County, Washington, United States
First Name
Josh
Last Name
Duncan
Member #

Just a heads up. Most GMRS mobile radios will not even transmit on the lesser power FRS frequencies due to various restrictions. Some mobile GMRS radios will simply skip over channels 8-14 because of this. Some, like the KG-1000 will allow you to listen, but will not transmit.

Family Radio Service (FRS) | Federal Communications Commission (fcc.gov) check the "data" tab for the max power for FRS on the different channels.

Prerunner1982

Local Expert, Oklahoma USA
Launch Member

Member III

Navina, Oklahoma
First Name
Jon
Last Name
B
Member #

Channels 8-14 are handheld channels only, wish Midland would at least make them able to be monitored.

Reactions: jdunk

Desmo900

Rank IV

Traveler III

Leander, TX
First Name
Patrick
Last Name
Berger
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI5VKD
Channels 8-14 are handheld channels only, wish Midland would at least make them able to be monitored.
I think 8-14 are actually FRS and not GMRS channels. FRS has much lower power output options I believe (max of 0.5 watts?). This would be useful when working a trail and a spotter has a bubble pack FRS radio.

jdunk

Rank VI
Founder 500
Investor

Pathfinder II

King County, Washington, United States
First Name
Josh
Last Name
Duncan
Member #

I think 8-14 are actually FRS and not GMRS channels. FRS has much lower power output options I believe (max of 0.5 watts?). This would be useful when working a trail and a spotter has a bubble pack FRS radio.
You're correct which is why some GMRS handhelds are able to transmit on these channels if they meet the criteria. i.e. transmits a max of .5 w, has a fixed/non removable antenna, etc.

Reactions: Desmo900

Prerunner1982

Local Expert, Oklahoma USA
Launch Member

Member III

Navina, Oklahoma
First Name
Jon
Last Name
B
Member #

FRS and GMRS share all channels now but those are still handheld and .5 watts so they are essentially FRS but GMRS handhelds are allowed to use 8-14.

Reactions: Desmo900

Dilldog

Rank V
Launch Member
Investor

Influencer I

Spokane, WA.
First Name
Dillon
Last Name
Wilke
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7LVO/ WRQL275
Service Branch
USAF
Very well put. I might add that I have owned FRS radios that were .5 watt.
I was almost right, channels 1-7 and 15-22 are limited to 2watts, 8-14 are limited to .5watts. I bet most bubble pack radios are just .5watts...

What about the midland narrow band working with the Wouxcun wide band? It was enough of an issue that midland added the ability to change the settings to wide if needed.
I will admit, I was not aware of this being an issue, I have always programmed my radios off of the specs published by the FCC and assumed manufacturers did the same for consistency's sake.

Reactions: smritte

VE6HRY

Rank I

Off-Road Ranger I

Calgary
First Name
Harry
Last Name
Maylor
Ham/GMRS Callsign
VE6HRY
I see you can get a badge for your ham credentials. I thought we were all going to be reasonable and use GMRS. What's up with one vs the other?
I like badges how does one get this one? The short answer is one is better than the other. The caveat here though is if no one has the one you are using the whole point of which is better becomes moot.

VE6HRY

Rank I

Off-Road Ranger I

Calgary
First Name
Harry
Last Name
Maylor
Ham/GMRS Callsign
VE6HRY
For me it was CB first then HAM and later FRS (Canada eh!). Our 4x4 club volunteered with local car rallies doing recoveries (much fun) and we combined with radio operators from the local radio club. As time went on we saw the value in using HAM and became licensed so we did not have to drag an operator with us. Current times most folks use FRS due to the stigma of a license. We often go out in mixed groups and the FRS crowed are always curious how it is we HAM guys can communicate across a huge group spread out over kilometres when they can't reach half the group on FRS. I do find when in the US CB is still very much in use.

GFB_Steve

Rank III

Off-Road Ranger I

CA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
gfb
Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6WJH
I haven’t read the rest of the thread, bit here’s my input:

I’m licensed Ham and think it’s one of the best forms of radio communication.. if you’re willing to put work into it! Yes. That’s the same for any hobby. Ham is no different. But, what I use most often is GMRS. Simply because it’s a lot easier to get others to join in the fun. Whether it’s acquiring your own license, or grabbing one of those cheap FRS radios that most of us have rolling around in our junk drawer, the bottom line [for me] is connecting people. GMRS makes that super easy.

YMMV, whatever the case, hope to see you in the dirt and on the air!

Last edited:

OutOnAnAdventureTogether

Rank IV

Influencer II

Sioux Falls, SD, USA
First Name
Christian
Last Name
Rieck
Member #

Service Branch
Army
I haven’t read the rest of the thread, bit here’s my input:

I’m licensed Ham and think it’s one of the best forms of radio communication.. if you’re willing to put work into it! Yes. That’s the same for any hobby. Ham is no different. But, what I use most often is GMRS. Simply because it’s a lot easier to get others to join in the fun. Whether it’s acquiring your own license, or grabbing one of those cheap FRS radios that most of ours have rolling around in our junk drawer, the bottom line [for me] is connecting people. GMRS makes that super easy.

YMMV, whatever the case, hope to see you in the dirt and on the air!
Steve, you and I would get along well. Your comment is a good example of being positive and realistic. Have fun with your hobby.