Why are torsion bars so vilified? And were Land Cruisers ever designed for recreational off-roading?

• HTML tutorial

Alanymarce

Rank IV

Trail Mechanic III

Colombia
Venezualans are in love with them as well. Funnily enough you see hardly ant Land Cruisers once you get south of Ecuador down in the southern cone. They seem to prefer Hiluxes down there for some reason.
Lots of Hiluxes in the north too. I do notice, as you say, fewer LCs as you go south. In Chile I think the roads are good and so there's less need, In Argentina most people can't afford them, in Brazil you're either street-racing or on muddy tracks hauling stuff.

Reactions: Arkansas_SR5

Arkansas_SR5

Rank II

Enthusiast III

Cave Springs, AR, USA
First Name
Nick
Last Name
Last
Lots of Hiluxes in the north too. I do notice, as you say, fewer LCs as you go south. In Chile I think the roads are good and so there's less need, In Argentina most people can't afford them, in Brazil you're either street-racing or on muddy tracks hauling stuff.
Why wouldn't Argentines be able to afford them if Colombians can? I guess they have been hit pretty hard with inflation.

Alanymarce

Rank IV

Trail Mechanic III

Colombia
Why wouldn't Argentines be able to afford them if Colombians can? I guess they have been hit pretty hard with inflation.
It's a generalisation, however I notice that a lot of cars in Argentina, particularly in Patagonia, are generally in very poor shape. People have as you say been hit hard with astronomical inflation.

You come across company and rental vehicles Hiluxes but not many privately owned Hiluxes. We've rented a Hilux in the past but last time in Argentina the only 4x4s available (where we were) were a Frontier and a Tracker (we rented both, the Frontier for a few days, the Tracker for a few weeks).

The other factor is that Toyota prices are high - a company with which I've worked replaced its fleet of Hiluxes with Rangers a few years ago (2500 of them), price was an important factor. This is true in Colombia as well (one of the reasons we own a Montero and not a Land Cruiser) however inflation is relatively low and so car loans are more accessible.

Reactions: Arkansas_SR5

Navin

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Fort Mill, SC, USA
First Name
Nate
Last Name
Harris
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N5VSH
I have 2 60 series, an FZJ80 and a 100 series. The 60's ride like covered wagons (leaf springs), the 80 rides like a 90's era truck and the 100 rides like a Bentley. In completely stock form the 100 can go further, in far more comfort, and any of my other LCs. If I get somewhere I need a lift, I hit a button and I'm 2.5 inches higher. Once I'm going over 18mph it will automatically go back to the normal ride height (saves the CV joints). It's a 2005 with the 4.7L (million mile engine) and has ATRAC, which is the electronic traction control. Point it up a greasy hill and hold the revs at 2K and listen to the computer work out the traction, applying braking at each wheel independently. I've walked up hills where I could see others spinning and sliding off.

Oh, and if you really must have a solid axle rig front and back, in a few years you can import the 105 series from Australia. I just got back from down there and there are hundo's coming out of the woodwork.

I will concede that the 80 is built tougher, overall, than the 100 underneath. But that's really nitpicking. I have the 80 setup for off grid camping for extended periods.

As for the torsion bars, they work fine. Lots of vehicles still use them. I would argue that the comment that they are 'lazy engineering' is not only comical considering the pedigree of Toyota. I have never, ever, heard of a torsion bar problem. Did you know Formula 1 uses torsion bars?