Launch Member

Influencer II

North Walsham, Norfolk, UK
First Name
Kevin
Last Name
Titmarsh
Member #

So with all the different mods/upgrades you can do with vehicles, it usually depends on what you want to be doing,

With that thought, what mods do you have on your vehicle and why have you chosen those particular ones?

:) let see what we come up with lol

Kevigizmo

Western Europe Moderator
Launch Member

Influencer II

North Walsham, Norfolk, UK
First Name
Kevin
Last Name
Titmarsh
Member #

Hey,

Although those links do have some valid ideas 70% of those are all geared towards off-roading rather than actual overlanding,
When I think overland (which being in UK I guess the concept is slightly different than that of USA) is kitting the vehicle out for complete self sufficient travel expedition style travel (A2A Expedition comes to mind, or some friends on mine in their VW camper called Tiggers Travels)

Water carrying mods, shower systems, vehicle configuration I. E side lockers roof rack storage

That's the kinda thing I guess I am looking to see how others have taken those ideas onto their own vehicle :)

Sent from my SM-G920F using OB Talk mobile app

Lindenwood

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

New Mexico
First Name
Jay
Last Name
M
Member #

Is that a hollowed-out tailgate on an SUV? Wow that is an impressive idea!

OP, your distinction of "Overlanding" and "Offroading" is certainly valid!

We have recently begun using our 4Runner for this very purpose. Funny enough, we drove 500 miles straight from the dealership for a weekend of camping! Since we carry the dogs in the cargo area, we were super limited on storage on a subsequent trip when our friends were in the car so I just bought a small roof rack from Walmart and made some roof bars out of steel C-channel to mount it lower. It was cheap, but it is light enough for me to take on and off myself and with a few mods (like some extension) will be plenty for what we need. I had co sidered buying a big fancy one, or even buikding one myself, but given how nice it is to be able to remove it for the wind noise and mileage when we don't need it, we might try this out for a while and see if it is big enough!

Probably the next big challenge for us is water storage. I have several 7gal water kegs for emergencies and camping (of course, only 1 is plenty for 2 or 3days), but they are obviously a pain to get up there and I dont love having all that weight up top. Though, in the grand scheme, probably the next best options are either a custom flat water tank that sits across the cargo area under the dogs' pad, or a $2,000 rear bumper with swing-out carriers. So, I will probably alsl make-do with the water on the roof for a while lol.

And of course, good tires (another set) and under-armor and a mild lift are coming soon.

Hope you get some good answers!

Reactions: Kevigizmo

vegasjeepguy

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Gravette, AR, USA
Member #

One of my first was to install a swing out spare tire carrier that would accommodate two 5 gallon jerry cans. Driving a Jeep TJ Rubicon that gets 15 mpg on a good day gives me a comfortable range of about 250 miles. The additional 10 gallons extends that another 100-125 miles depending on conditions and terrain. That's peace of mind.

p.s. Since you are a Brit, I'll let you do the metric conversions.

Billy "Poserlander" Badly

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

PDX, OR, USA
Member #

One of my first was to install a swing out spare tire carrier that would accommodate two 5 gallon jerry cans. Driving a Jeep TJ Rubicon that gets 15 mpg on a good day gives me a comfortable range of about 250 miles. The additional 10 gallons extends that another 100-125 miles depending on conditions and terrain. That's peace of mind.

p.s. Since you are a Brit, I'll let you do the metric conversions.
This is my next big modification. I'll feel much better w/ some safely stowed extra fuel, plus I have an Xterra w/out a hitch, meaning there are no rear recovery points. So, a new bumper w/ hitch and recovery points + jerry can storage is a high priority. Still pondering what to do with the extra space underneath where the spare used to live (I don't intend to run 2 spares)...

Big E

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Morganton, NC
Member #

My truck is new and under warranty. Not wanting to mess with that contract with a lift or tall tires I went low. I went with steel skid plates under the motor to transfer case. Less clearance so protect what you have.