Launch Member

Influencer II

Methuen, MA
First Name
Chris
Last Name
BRV
Member #

It seems most of us are using applications on our smart devices now for navigating. So what is your go to map source and what do you like about it?

Note: I'm not asking about the app you use, just the map source downloaded to the app. We have enough rescissions about apps already.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using OB Talk mobile app

Reactions: EVILTWIN67

1Louder

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member II

AZ
First Name
Chris
Last Name
K
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K1LDR
USFS Raster maps. The offer the clearest labels for forest roads and everything else is easy to read. Zoom levels are down to 50ft if you desire that level of detail.

Gaia has them. Not sure what other apps do. I know Hema does not. Motion X does not. Sorry to mention apps but it is relevant if an app can't support my favorite maps. In GAIA the latest versions are called USFS 2016 and the old are USFS Classic.

http://blog.gaiagps.com/usfs-map-source-updated/

https://www.fs.fed.us/ivm/index.html - You can view the data here but there is not a good way to export. The engine allows for GEO PDF exports but they are specific to the zoom level you have selected. Not very useful and an app like GAIA just makes viewing these maps easy (Again sorry for the reference (sorta) :) )

Last edited:

1Louder

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member II

AZ
First Name
Chris
Last Name
K
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K1LDR
Reactions: VCeXpedition

DocNOS

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Tulsa, OK
First Name
Brandon
Last Name
Son
Member #

Service Branch
USN
Sorry to crash the topic.

But, what about paper maps? Who do y'all think has the best sources for us?

Sent from my SM-G930T using OB Talk mobile app

1Louder

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member II

AZ
First Name
Chris
Last Name
K
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K1LDR
Sorry to crash the topic.

But, what about paper maps? Who do y'all think has the best sources for us?

Sent from my SM-G930T using OB Talk mobile app
It depends on where you are going. MVUM maps where available are free and the law of the land. Meaning they show the only legally open trails. Otherwise the National Geographic maps are nice as are the Delorme books.

Mike King

Rank III
Launch Member

Influencer II

Kent UK
First Name
Mike
Last Name
King
Member #

In U.K. Ordinance Survey produce the best paper maps most of which are available in electronic form as well