What Tyres Are Recommended for Off-roading (including the trip there on the motorway)

• HTML tutorial

CafeRoaster

Rank II

Enthusiast III

Seattle, WA, USA
First Name
David
Last Name
Clark
I used to run BFG KO2. They were decent but they didn't age well at all. Good traction, but as they aged, they got very noisy and rode like wagon wheels.

I've switched to Falken Wildpeaks. They are a good bit cheaper than the BFGs and better in every way. I now run Falken Wildpeak AT3W tires on my XJ, Suburban, and Samurai. I run the lighter Wildpeak AT Trail on my Ridgeline. Outstanding traction, wear, noise, and ride quality on all of these.
Those Wildpeaks are popular with the Honda Element crowd. I opted against them due to their low treadwear rating. How have you found treadwear to be?

SJ.Overland

Rank VII

Trail Blazer I

Beavercreek, OH, USA
First Name
Shaun
Last Name
Johannes
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE8TDZ
I used to run BFG KO2. They were decent but they didn't age well at all. Good traction, but as they aged, they got very noisy and rode like wagon wheels.

I've switched to Falken Wildpeaks. They are a good bit cheaper than the BFGs and better in every way. I now run Falken Wildpeak AT3W tires on my XJ, Suburban, and Samurai. I run the lighter Wildpeak AT Trail on my Ridgeline. Outstanding traction, wear, noise, and ride quality on all of these.
Those Wildpeaks are popular with the Honda Element crowd. I opted against them due to their low treadwear rating. How have you found treadwear to be?
They have met or exceeded my expectations. These MTs have 12k on them and I’m probably going to get close to 40k out of them.

Reactions: CafeRoaster

moomootundra

Rank II

Enthusiast I

Livermore, CA, USA
First Name
Prashant
Last Name
Nate
Member #

I've been running Falken Rubitrek AT's in 275/70r18. They've been really good on and off-road and are pretty stable on snow as well. I don't really see a lot of people running Rubitrek's but I've been happy with them for the last 8 months.

Cypress

Rank V

Off-Road Ranger I

Goose Creek, SC, USA
First Name
Allen
Last Name
Murray
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRJY639
I just sold a Silverado with KO3s on it and bought the Ridgeline, that set had the most mileage on them. They had a little over 30k miles on them and were right at halfway to the wear bars. I wouldn't be surprised to see them go well over 50k miles. The set on my XJ is next in mileage at 20k or so. They still look like new. The Samurai will age them out long before it wears them out. At 2200 pounds and 90 hp, it doesn't wear tires...ever. The Suburban is about 15k into a set with no odd wear problems. My wife is the primary driver and she is fairly gentle with it. The Ridgeline has the AT Trail tire and they only have about 10k on them. So far, they look like they should wear better than the KO3s, but only time and mileage will tell.