• HTML tutorial

Trail_pilot

Rank III

Enthusiast III

First Name
James
Last Name
Girard
I have been using a cheap hammock for years now. i have changed the to a quick strap setup but other than that it has remained the same. best $40 on amazon I ever spent. I actually have 2 because i end up having a buddy fall asleep in mine all the time so I bring an extra LOL. Packs up small which is nice in an older Jeep because there isn't a whole lot of space to begin with.
1593560789930.png
1593560845024.png
1593560930096.png

RobMac

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Brisbane, Queensland Australia
First Name
Rob
Last Name
Mac
Member #

When I originally responded to this thread I was waiting to pick up a trailer and have a roof top tent fitted . . . but now it's complete and has done a few longer trips so here it is;
POD Extreme Trailer - DO35 hitch, galvanised frame with roto-moulded plastic tub and lid, independent suspension, 60ltr water tank, 200 watt solar panel on roof feeds 120ah Lithium battery in trailer tool box and runs 40 ltr Engel fridge in back of cruiser.
Bush Company Roof Top Tent - made in South Africa, basically an alloy base and lid with canvas awning and fly screen.
Drifta Square Back Awning - mounted on the trailer giving 270 degree coverage.
Tows great, lots of storage under the lid, fast and easy to set up and comfy to sleep in.
View attachment 160607
Nice setup... How high is the awning off the ground when its setup? Can a 6" person easily stand up underneath the awning?

BTW: I see u live just around the corner in the next suburb to me... ;) Don't suppose u know of the local PodTrailer dealership down in Brendale then?

Temudjin

Rank III
Launch Member

Advocate II

Cashmere QLD 4500 Australia
Member #

Nice setup... How high is the awning off the ground when its setup? Can a 6" person easily stand up underneath the awning?

BTW: I see u live just around the corner in the next suburb to me... ;) Don't suppose u know of the local PodTrailer dealership down in Brendale then?
The awning is on sliding arms with gas lifts so low for towing and high for shelter - probably 7' off the ground. I bought mine direct from Stockman in Melbourne as delivery to Brissie is $800 and for that money it was worth my while making a road trip to pick it up myself with some touring as well. They will have dealer list on website I'm sure.

Reactions: Steve_ohhhhh

RobMac

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Brisbane, Queensland Australia
First Name
Rob
Last Name
Mac
Member #

The awning is on sliding arms with gas lifts so low for towing and high for shelter - probably 7' off the ground. I bought mine direct from Stockman in Melbourne as delivery to Brissie is $800 and for that money it was worth my while making a road trip to pick it up myself with some touring as well. They will have dealer list on website I'm sure.
Yeah, a mate of mine has just become the QLD dealer for Pod Trailers here in Brendale - Qld. They are only just getting going but apparently are doing quite well in selling the Podtrailer...

BTW: What's the "internal" width of the Rooftop Tent?

Temudjin

Rank III
Launch Member

Advocate II

Cashmere QLD 4500 Australia
Member #

Yeah, a mate of mine has just become the QLD dealer for Pod Trailers here in Brendale - Qld. They are only just getting going but apparently are doing quite well in selling the Podtrailer...

BTW: What's the "internal" width of the Rooftop Tent?
These are the dimensions:
Length: External 2.25m / internal (mattress length) 2.15m
Width: External 1.4m (1.48m inc. gas struts) / internal (mattress width)1.3 m
So mattress is 1.3m wide and 2.15m long - suits me perfectly as a single guy and probably fine for a couple too.

RickR

Rank IV
Launch Member

Traveler II

San Antonio, Texas
First Name
Rick
Last Name
R
Member #

I personally like sleeping with my eyes closed and while I am unconscious.
But I have slept with my eyes open and standing a few times.

Reactions: Steve_ohhhhh

Contributor I

Rockhampton QLD, Australia
First Name
Grant
Last Name
Macca
Member #

The older I'm getting, the further away from the ground I get.

In my 20's I was ground sheet with bivvi bag with sleep bag and foam mat, then moved to swag for many years, tried hammocks and now I'm in a roof top tent.

The body needs more comfort as I'm getting older !! :coldsweat::tearsofjoy: I definitely love the RTT.