Rank II

Enthusiast I

Ottawa, ON, Canada
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Quigley
Member #

I want to keep things as simple as possible just give me the pavement to start and the trails off of the pavement so that i can map out a off-road trip
I am new to the world of off-road overlanding and looking forward to adventures and not to have the starting point of mapping it out all too complicated therefore fustration right at the get go
I am software savy to a point
I live in Montreal Canada therefore eastern Canada
I am well aware that the eastern North America off road wise is not as well developed off as the western part of the continent by what i see in the app world of things

Reactions: RN J and MadMedic

MadMedic

Rank V

Trail Mechanic II

Fredericksburg, VA, USA
First Name
John
Last Name
McCamley
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
GMRS: WRPG822
Service Branch
Fredericksburg FD
I want to keep things as simple as possible just give me the pavement to start and the trails off of the pavement so that i can map out a off-road trip
Good morning, I dont' have a lot of experience with the apps and GPS, but these are two I have played around with for hiking. Browse between the sites and see if they fit your wants. There are subscription services along with some free features.

Avenza Maps App
Avenza Maps - Mobile Maps

Gaia GPS App
Gaia GPS: Navigate, Track, and Explore

John

KAIONE

Rank V
Investor

Advocate I

Vancouver, WA, USA
First Name
Kanak
Last Name
Attack
Member #

All of them together. GAIA, OnX, the OB maps, google maps, google earth, a GPS, any Nat. Park, Forrest or Park app, paper maps, road maps; any and all of it. It’s all information and the more you have the better you can make an informed decision for where you want/need to go or what you’re trying to accomplish.

OnX and Gaia are $140 a year combined cost, I believe. $11.67/month is not a lot for that much information. Especially if you’re going somewhere that you’re risking your vehicle and maybe your life, which some of us know could be a few miles from home.

My $.02; I use them all before heading out.

Last edited:

mwilson920

US West Region Local Expert Las Vegas

Protector II

Las Vegas, NV
First Name
Michelle
Last Name
Wilson
Member #

I like Gaia and Trails Offroad. I can find trails on Trails offroad and download them to Gaia I also use Avenza

Mad Garden Gnome

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Templeton, Ca
First Name
Ryan
Last Name
Marlett
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W6ORV
Best? Ask 100 people, get 100 different answers. Look for experiences on this site that match your needs and try that software.

Reactions: mwilson920

Advocate I

Owen Sound, Ontario, Canada
First Name
James
Last Name
Girard
Member #

For Ontario I usually use a combination of Google Earth, Crown Land Atlas, and GPS. ill find a spot on Google earth that looks good, check on the Crown Land Atlas to make sure its not private property, and then punch the coordinates into my phone or GPS and head out. crossing borders I generally have a set destination planned so there isn't any research involved and same goes for when have traveled into Quebec.

Jim SoG

Forums Manager
Staff member
Investor

Educator I

Reno, Nevada, United States
First Name
Jim
Last Name
Bro
Member #

Service Branch
USAF DAV
I use and love the OB1 app, it has so many features and is being improved/added to all the time, Many many features all in 1 app.
It is avail for Apple and Android.
Check it our or ask about it and it's abilities, you will be surprised.

Jim

Reactions: Coreymol

DaPyrate

Rank VI

Trail Blazer I

Hamilton, Ohio
First Name
John
Last Name
Gill
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE8PBK
Service Branch
U.S. Army Veteran
I have been using Gaia a long time and it works for planing, recording, and sharing. I just purchased the expedition level of OB1 because I think it will be a better app but for now I will be using both.

Michael Golden

Rank VI

Explorer I

Tampa Fl
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Golden
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KG4BCN
Service Branch
U.S. Army
I am new to the world of off-road overlanding and looking forward to adventures and not to have the starting point of mapping it out all too complicated therefore fustration right at the get go
I am well aware that the eastern North America off road wise is not as well developed off as the western part of the continent by what i see in the app world of things
Without a doubt Gaia (Premium) and Lifestyle Overland has a excellent video explaining how to use it.

Coreymol

Local Expert, Texas USA

Guardian I

Boerne, Texas, United States
First Name
Corey
Last Name
Molinelli
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WREM781 on GMRS
Service Branch
Army
Ive been debating getting Gaia because it seems to be the "standard" but Im also interested with how well the OB1 app works but I havent seen much on it.

Mid State Overland

Rank III

Enthusiast III

Little Falls, Minnesota
First Name
David
Last Name
Finch
There is no one map the will do it all, my maps choice is google for on road nav, Gaia on a stand alone I pad because most of our group members also use it and it works and is easy to share maps and waypoints with when off road, Overland Bound app on my phone, Onyx hunt to verify that I'm on public land when setting up camp.

Last edited:

Michael Golden

Rank VI

Explorer I

Tampa Fl
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Golden
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KG4BCN
Service Branch
U.S. Army
Ive been debating getting Gaia because it seems to be the "standard" but Im also interested with how well the OB1 app works but I havent seen much on it.
I have the Gaia Premium and love it. I also have the "free" iOverlander and use both together. In iOverlander If you find an item or location that you are interested in you can click on the small i with a circle around it and have Gaia open on that location.
I don't think you will ever find an app that does everything. Try and find apps that work well together.

Coreymol

Local Expert, Texas USA

Guardian I

Boerne, Texas, United States
First Name
Corey
Last Name
Molinelli
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WREM781 on GMRS
Service Branch
Army
Great tip. Thank you! I’m all about efficiency. And using the best tools for the job. And I always forget about iOverlander thanks again!

RJ Howell

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

Auburn, NH USA
First Name
RJ
Last Name
Howell
Member #

I go between Gaia and iOverlander as of now. Gaia'a cost has gone way up since they were bought out, so I'm researching alternatives. OB1 has a long way to go to catch up to the big boys out there, once there.. then I'll debate the cost..

Leadnav is a real GPS tool and the basic version is a one time affordable cost. Issue I'm seeing there is the basic doesn't do offline maps.. Please correct me if wrong about this!
Leadnav

Ubiety

Rank VI

Explorer I

Sammamish, WA, USA
First Name
Greg
Last Name
Ubiety
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Ribs
Having web and app interfaces that sync data are important to me; web for planning trips on the computer at home and app for executing trips. Absence of offline maps is a non-starter. I use Gaia (premium); it is definitely not perfect but it supports both web and app interfaces / data sync, is stable and (mostly) does one thing and is good at it. The premium subscription provides a plethora of map types as well which I find to be very valuable.

Last edited: