What happened to all the true adventurers?

• HTML tutorial

john casson

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Danville CA
Member #

We need an old guys been there done that thread.
Some great points here. I joined a about 2 1/2 years ago because other members were friendly and gave great advice and good Intel on places to camp ( overland ) I've joined 3 different meet and greets and my rig has been the least out fitted and it doesn't bother me. I've explored a lot of great places and had some awesome adventures. Every generation changes. I'm 43 and I've manage a sales team of 12 people for 10 years. Some millenials suck , yet some are really great people. Social media has changed Everything..... I just want to get out and explore. Mostly solo trips in my 07 Pathfinder. I'm planning a 2 week "overland" trip this July in Canada and thanks to OLB I've got great insight on what should be a fantastic trip with my wife and 2 boys. Being off the grid = zero screen time which is great.

Wanderlost

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Caledonia, Illinois
Member #

The goal of the article written has been very successfully accomplished. It's inflammatory, controversial opinion has directed an enormous amount of attention to a third rate, probably failing magazine.

The writer/owner of the rag is probably sitting back and smiling at all the attention he's been getting.

I choose to ignore and live my own life the way I see fit. :)

Reactions: soonersfan

smritte

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Ontario California
First Name
Scott
Last Name
SMR
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KO6BI
The writer/owner of the rag is probably sitting back and smiling at all the attention he's been getting.
Something I've noticed here is what apears to be a trend. You write a negitive article about something very popular. People will read this and be offended. Now they post it in their forums, text there friends and everyone is angry. Meanwhile, the guy gets tens of thousands of hits on his site. When it dies down, he just write's about something else and starts over. He make's money on the advertisers on the site. This isnt just off-road, it's everything. People thrive on chaos.

If your real lucky what you wrote becomes an urban myth. I got to see one of those a few months ago. The guy who wrote it claims to be an "Engineer". Never says what type (Sanitation?). Has a web site , blog and huge Facebook presence. Has a "Doctor" verify his BS. Everyone who writes about this topic uses him as a reference and he uses the "doctor" as proof. Its so bad all the medical research people have had to debunk it (AMA, Cancer research...ect). The guy gets a ton of hits on his site and pays Google to give him the top spot when you search. He's making a fortune and laughing all the way to the bank.

I've been watching articles like this for the last decade. Look at all the hits that guy who wrote a negitive article about us. His stuff was linked on several of the forums I read. Everyone was furious. Just like he needed. The sad part is 20k Facebook people cant be wrong. Can they?

Reactions: old_man

old_man

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Loveland, Colorado
First Name
Tom
Last Name
Houston
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WØNUT Extra
Like your response, love your sigline. If I had more space in my sigline I would add my favorite...

Your just jealous because the voices don't talk to you :laughing:

I drive what I drive because I love it, the complements I get are nice, but I didn't build it for them. I built it for ME ... and my WIFE. I trust it. My wife wanted me to get an new rig. She got upset because I wanted to keep mine. I keep the dents fixed and painted, and there have been many if you look at my threads and pix. The key is that anytime I can find the time, I am out and about.

Last edited:
Reactions: Arailt

old_man

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Loveland, Colorado
First Name
Tom
Last Name
Houston
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WØNUT Extra
Like your response, love your sigline. If I had more space in my sigline I would add my favorite...

Your just jealous because the voices don't talk to you :laughing:

I drive what I drive because I love it, the complements I get are nice, but I didn't build it for them. I built it for ME ... and my WIFE. I trust it. My wife said I deserved a new rig and wanted me to spend $80k. She got upset because I wanted to keep mine. It has zero rust and I I keep the dents fixed and painted, and there have been many if you look at my threads and pix. The key is that anytime I can find the time, I am out and about.

Last edited:

chuckoverland

Rank V
Launch Member

Traveler II

Spokane, WA
Member #

Im part of that generation that wasnt taught many practical skills in my youth. I'm 34 so technically a millenial. I am worried about the younger generation for paralel reasons. I think technology has become way too much part of peoples lives and it is having terrible effects. It takes real human interaction out of the equation and that interaction is necesssary for developing youths to create healthy habits and relationships. These kids will have not only no practical skills but no social skills as well.
I was lucky however to learn alot of survival and backcountry skills and how to cook. Now Im a chef who loves camping.
Just some musing on the thread, great thoughts all through here.

old_man

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Loveland, Colorado
First Name
Tom
Last Name
Houston
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WØNUT Extra
There is a quote out there attributed to Chip Foose. It goes something like the ... the worst thing we have done is taking shop classes out of the schools. He goes on to say when he was a kid, he thought about what he could build. Now kids think about what they can buy.

No truer words have ever been spoken. While I never took a shop class, I grew up on a farm and learned to weld about the time I started school and rebuilt my first gas engine a 9 and my first diesel at 10. Started driving to the bus stop in the second grade (4 miles) and got my hardship license at 13. I have carried that tradition with my three daughters and three grand daughters.

Seppy

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Cambon Avenue, Saint James, NY, USA
First Name
Joseph
Last Name
Cosentino
Member #

There is a quote out there attributed to Chip Foose. It goes something like the ... the worst thing we have done is taking shop classes out of the schools. He goes on to say when he was a kid, he thought about what he could build. Now kids think about what they can buy.

No truer words have ever been spoken. While I never took a shop class, I grew up on a farm and learned to weld about the time I started school and rebuilt my first gas engine a 9 and my first diesel at 10. Started driving to the bus stop in the second grade (4 miles) and got my hardship license at 13. I have carried that tradition with my three daughters and three grand daughters.
I'm a mechanical engineer of building systems. I'm one of the last to "grow up" with the old guy engineers. My first mentor still wore a crew cut, short sleeved white shirt and thin black tie. I try to impart all those lessons that were bestowed upon me as a young engineer to the newer generation, and they just don't have the knack of understanding how things work. When some do, I try to hold onto them as employees as best I can. Anyway, I have 2 daughters, 6 and 8, and I make them figure everything out. I ask them questions about why and how they think things work and how they would solve problems. Most importantly though, I take them into nature, into the woods, go camping... no technology.

CR-Venturer

Rank VI
Launch Member

Traveler III

Ardrossan, AB, Canada
First Name
Jas
Last Name
Spr
Member #

The article posted by the OP is actually hilariously absurd. Some young millennial punk complaining about millennials ruining overlanding with Instagram for "old school" "true overlanders" like himself. Please. If it was any more ridiculous, I'd think it was deliberately ironic.

Elitism is what it is, pure and simple. Are there negative aspects of the explosion of popularity of Overlanding recently? Sure, but there are many positives as well. As another poster very astutely mentioned, the hobby/sport/pursuit only benefits if the veterans are willing to share.

Personally, I live by the motto that no matter how good you are or how much you know, you can always learn something new and get a little better. I think OB is right in line with that, and it definitely makes me proud and excited to be a part of it.

Get out and adventure, share your experiences and knowledge and spread the values to the next gen, who cares what anyone else thinks?

old_man

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Loveland, Colorado
First Name
Tom
Last Name
Houston
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WØNUT Extra
The article posted by the OP is actually hilariously absurd. Some young millennial punk complaining about millennials ruining overlanding with Instagram for "old school" "true overlanders" like himself. Please. If it was any more ridiculous, I'd think it was deliberately ironic.

Elitism is what it is, pure and simple. Are there negative aspects of the explosion of popularity of Overlanding recently? Sure, but there are many positives as well. As another poster very astutely mentioned, the hobby/sport/pursuit only benefits if the veterans are willing to share.

Personally, I live by the motto that no matter how good you are or how much you know, you can always learn something new and get a little better. I think OB is right in line with that, and it definitely makes me proud and excited to be a part of it.

Get out and adventure, share your experiences and knowledge and spread the values to the next gen, who cares what anyone else thinks?
preach it brother

Reactions: CR-Venturer

4wheelspulling

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Chelan, WA.
First Name
Vance
Last Name
Myers
Member #

This discussion, is just like the ones around the camp fire after a good day of fishing. And some adult beverages! We all have our own reasons to be out there! Maybe, just to try some new so called fish whisper or something like that! Why does it matter what you call it? Who cares, as long as you get out there and don’t hurt the rights of others to do the same, and leave the place cleaner than you found it? Vance.

Desert Runner

Rank VII
Launch Member

Expedition Master III

Southern Nevada
First Name
Jerold
Last Name
F.
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
/GMRS=WREA307
I can see where the original OP had point, based on his thoughts about the social media aspect of it. While I would like to sympathize with it, I think it was a mountain, made out of a molehill. As many have chimed in with, the situation he describes will sort itself out with the social media types disappearing within a couple of years as they move onto the newest trend/fad. I think the 'Core' of groups like us will prevail with barely a hiccup. The truly dedicated newbies will help progress the Overlanding family and this will counter any negativeness that come with growth over the long haul. The invitation by Kent R? to stay in touch, was a olive branch that was nicely done. Lets hope the OP does check back in with those road bike updates. Those of us who travel the areas around Death Valley, see the bike people all the time. They are a hardy group, and i would find that a interesting subject.

This has been a great read so far, and has been informative in many ways. Disagreement has been civil, and that is very telling when a passionate subject is so widely commented on. It was a MAJOR reason i joined, as so many fanboy types let discussions degenerate into name calling or worse on other forums. Kudos to our members, staff, and moderators for keeping this family orientated. I personally do not follow other social media sites,........ this community here is home. The commitment to 'share' is a great example of "pass it forward". It will be the bedrock of teaching new generations the reason of preserving and protecting the outdoors for all. This is all the more true by the shift from rural to urban lifestyles. By this, I do not mean locking it up with wilderness designations, but allowing all who are inclined to enjoy it as well, and not have those that don't.....trashing it.

Education and Respect for our passion:smilecat:

For example:
Why do astronauts consider themselves as belonging to the world after being in space. The answer is the same as those of us that go out and explore. You realize just how small your part in the world is, and your personal responsibility to protect it in your small way.

chuckoverland

Rank V
Launch Member

Traveler II

Spokane, WA
Member #

I can see where the original OP had point, based on his thoughts about the social media aspect of it. While I would like to sympathize with it, I think it was a mountain, made out of a molehill. As many have chimed in with, the situation he describes will sort itself out with the social media types disappearing within a couple of years as they move onto the newest trend/fad. I think the 'Core' of groups like us will prevail with barely a hiccup. The truly dedicated newbies will help progress the Overlanding family and this will counter any negativeness that come with growth over the long haul. The invitation by Kent R? to stay in touch, was a olive branch that was nicely done. Lets hope the OP does check back in with those road bike updates. Those of us who travel the areas around Death Valley, see the bike people all the time. They are a hardy group, and i would find that a interesting subject.

This has been a great read so far, and has been informative in many ways. Disagreement has been civil, and that is very telling when a passionate subject is so widely commented on. It was a MAJOR reason i joined, as so many fanboy types let discussions degenerate into name calling or worse on other forums. Kudos to our members, staff, and moderators for keeping this family orientated. I personally do not follow other social media sites,........ this community here is home. The commitment to 'share' is a great example of "pass it forward". It will be the bedrock of teaching new generations the reason of preserving and protecting the outdoors for all. This is all the more true by the shift from rural to urban lifestyles. By this, I do not mean locking it up with wilderness designations, but allowing all who are inclined to enjoy it as well, and not have those that don't.....trashing it.

Education and Respect for our passion:smilecat:

For example:
Why do astronauts consider themselves as belonging to the world after being in space. The answer is the same as those of us that go out and explore. You realize just how small your part in the world is, and your personal responsibility to protect it in your small way.
This forum and youtube are the closest i get to social media. I have a zombie faceballs page that i havent logged into for 5 years. Who has time for and or needs that sh*t.