What are you doing to make your 2WD more capable? | OVERLAND BOUND COMMUNITY

What are you doing to make your 2WD more capable?

• Hi Guest, you may choose a LIGHT or DARK theme that works best for you with the "Style Chooser" button at the bottom left on this page!
  • HTML tutorial

Drebin561

Rank I

Member I

Lake Worth, FL, USA
First Name
Javier
Last Name
Jimenez
Member #

Hey y’all! So I’m rocking a 2017 Ford Escape fwd my plans as my tires wear down are to replace them with the falken wildpeak trail AT. There’s also a HR spring lift I’ve been eyeing that’ll bring 1.4 to the front and .8 to the rear. Outside of that not much more can be done imo so I’ll focus on cargo and get a roof rack thrown on her.

Scott_Milk

Rank III

Member III

Portland, OR, USA
First Name
Jacob
Last Name
Kelley
Member #

I got an 04 2WD Tundra that I lightly wheeled for a few years and got to know how it handles very well. I know its limits and exactly how to handle it in so many situations. I had gotten it stuck a few times in snow/ice or sand. Thankfully there was someone there to pull me out, but maybe a year ago I built myself a bumper that could take a winch in it. (I like fabrication work) My idea was that if I did get stuck somewhere, I could get myself out. Even if I had a rear locker, or 4WD full locked for that matter, I could still get unstuck in all but the most extreme cases. I also have A/T tires (1 size bigger than stock) and a 2 inch leveling kit on it which gives me a little clearance up front but I know that my lowest point is my rear differential. I can get to 90% of the places I want to off road with this setup.

I'm considering a rear locker, maybe lunch box style locker but I'm concerned about the ratcheting noises on the street. I've heard the Powertrax lockers don't make ratchet noise but I have seen so little about them I don't feel well informed enough to buy it yet.

Reactions: Relic6.3

Brassmonkey

Rank 0

Contributor I

I got an 04 2WD Tundra that I lightly wheeled for a few years and got to know how it handles very well. I know its limits and exactly how to handle it in so many situations. I had gotten it stuck a few times in snow/ice or sand. Thankfully there was someone there to pull me out, but maybe a year ago I built myself a bumper that could take a winch in it. (I like fabrication work) My idea was that if I did get stuck somewhere, I could get myself out. Even if I had a rear locker, or 4WD full locked for that matter, I could still get unstuck in all but the most extreme cases. I also have A/T tires (1 size bigger than stock) and a 2 inch leveling kit on it which gives me a little clearance up front but I know that my lowest point is my rear differential. I can get to 90% of the places I want to off road with this setup.

I'm considering a rear locker, maybe lunch box style locker but I'm concerned about the ratcheting noises on the street. I've heard the Powertrax lockers don't make ratchet noise but I have seen so little about them I don't feel well informed enough to buy it yet.
If an auto locker is what you want, maybe a Torsen style locker like a Detroit Truetrac. It has helical gears instead of the ratcheting action of lunchbox lockers. Would require more investment due to the install.

Reactions: Scott_Milk

Pathkiller Trailhawk

Rank III

Contributor III

Effingham, South Carolina, USA
First Name
Tim
Last Name
Cox
Member #

Ham Callsign
NA
Lockers, lift and under body protection.
One of the first trucks I ever used in off road situations was a 68 Jeep 2wd pick up with three on the tree. (Good mud tires went a long way in helping it navigate the plowed fields and muddy roads on our family farm.)